2021 Spring Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Mavric

Brewington does appear to know where the weight room is.

Ihb9cR8.jpg

47 minutes ago, Decked said:

The only knock here is Oliver Martin in the lineup after having a pretty mediocre career.

Martin was a 4* recruit. Doesn't mean much until he shows it on the field, of course, but at the very least it's decent potential.

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

Brewington does appear to know where the weight room is.

Ihb9cR8.jpg

Martin was a 4* recruit. Doesn't mean much until he shows it on the field, of course, but at the very least it's decent potential.

I agree. Potential. But not a lot of stats to show for it. 

58 minutes ago, Decked said:

Two of the FCS players are walk-ons. Probably 2nd-3rd strings at that. Omar Manning was the best JUCO WR in his class. Crazy potential. Toure could’ve gotten drafted last year. The only knock here is Oliver Martin in the lineup after having a pretty mediocre career. CTB was a high school QB guess he must suck too. You have your best player touch the ball as much as possible. Alante hasn’t even hit the field yet. 

This is a stupid post.

He is referring to Alante as the converted QB,  not CTB.  He isn't wrong either about the other stuff.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I definitely understand the posters frustration with the WR room. Yes, it's definitely shallow on guys who have put up Power 5 Numbers. Measurables, size, speed and vertical jump numbers are great- but at the end of the day all that matters is what you can actually do on the field at this level. What kind of FOOTBALL PLAYER are you? Someone put up 160 yards in a season- who cares? Martin/Brewington/Betts/Falk/Brown - I'm not believing in them until I see consistent production on the field. 

Toure and Manning- have a better body of work- the size etc. Liked what I saw of them in the Spring game If they can stay healthy, they could be 50 + catch guys each. 

NU has more aggregate potential in the WR room than it has had in Frosts tenure. So that's a positive.  But potential is just that. Who can consistently get separation and make grabs, who can make those contested catches ? Will the QB be able to get the ball on time and on target? Will the O-line be able to make good snaps and protect? We simply don't know that. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not worried so much about this group catching the ball (at least I hope that shouldn't be a worry this year) but more so can they (consistently) get open.  That spring game didn't exactly instill me with a lot of confidence to be perfectly honest.  Maybe a guy like Will Nixon could be that sleeper at WR that this offense is going to need.  Who knows.  Also with all the accolades that Omar Manning brings whether or not he lives up to the hype or even comes remotely close to it is another question as is how Frost/Lubick handle this year's passing game.  Much much to prove.

4 minutes ago, Decked said:

This is a depth add and nothing else. 

And we probably need it. I've been oscillating between majorly concerned and cautiously optimistic about the WRs (and RBs). I feel like the starting WRs could be a pretty solid group this year, but if even one of them goes down (Manning), things could get dicey in a hurry. If nothing else, we're getting more options.

12 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Nebraska55fan Martin should be around #3. He was tied for #2 receiving yards in the spring game, and will probably a starter. Swap Manning & Toure.

Yes Martin is a freakish athlete and I hope he pans out here. However he didnt do anything at Michigan and as an Iowa favorite son- did nothing at Iowa either. Im very skeptical.

Manning has it all- minus the track record of staying on the field. Tons of potential- but Toure is the steady warrior guy who creates a bit of space, runs good routes and has very good hands. He watches the ball into his hands. He wont be super flashy, but Im pretty confident you can count on this guy catching in traffic as well. I liked what I saw in the SPring game and Martinez looked comfortable going to him early and often.

I expect the O-line to be pretty much B1G average this year. (Need to get RG spot figured out, though.) Not expecting greatness, but I'm not nearly as worried about them as I am WRs and RBs.

• Plus1 1