Biden Foreign Policy

7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Didn't watch any of it but hasn't Milley and the brass's stance always been that the US should have left a  small contingent pf troop there permanently?

I don't know the answer.  But, if that's the case, then, it would have gone against what Trump negotiated with the Taliban.  Which....would have put them in a lot of danger.

31 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Didn't watch any of it but hasn't Milley and the brass's stance always been that the US should have left a  small contingent pf troop there permanently?

Yes, Milley said 2500 of our best trained men, I believe he said Seals. They would have been supported by military contractors and, get this, NATO troops! They don't say permanently, only that some US troops would remain behind.

@BigRedBuster, I agree, Trump was pretty clear on getting completely out. I don't think Trump would have taken the Joint Chiefs advice to leave behind a small force.

• TBH 1
23 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Yes, Milley said 2500 of our best trained men, I believe he said Seals. They would have been supported by military contractors and, get this, NATO troops! They don't say permanently, only that some US troops would remain behind.

@BigRedBuster, I agree, Trump was pretty clear on getting completely out. I don't think Trump would have taken the Joint Chiefs advice to leave behind a small force.

Our NATO allies were in country with us up until the end.

I don't think the American public would tolerate leaving troops in Afghanistan (but I think they'd be shocked to know we still have troops in Iraq). That would basically be a continuation of the status quo for the last 10 years.

I think the reality is that the Trump administration royal f#&%ed up the negotiations. The Biden administration made the right call to continue the withdrawal, but the planning and execution (outside of the military operations) was very poor.

Biden probably should have restarted negotiations with the Afghan government and the taliban... But short of restarting the war I don't think there was anyway to keep Kabul from falling, and at that point there was no way to prevent the tragic events of the Afghanistan people at the walls of the airport. The 13 final soldiers that were killed is tragic, but they (and their families) are being used as political pawns now. The reality is they could have been killed regardless of what actions were taken and when, because it was an ISIS attack, not the taliban.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Our NATO allies were in country with us up until the end.

As they typically say in the hearing, coalition forces, the funny thing is that used to mean NATO and Russia. NATO and Russia together pledged to punish the 9-11 terrorists. Russia got supplies from Poland to Afghanistan.

Edited by Gage County
added some words
  • 4 weeks later...

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Odd that people would think Israel's biggest intelligence failure in history is some how directly Joe Biden's fault, and that Trump assassinating an Iranian general wasn't an escalation/provocation of Iran.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

22 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Prescient.  But everyone who knew Putin would continue to escalate his campaign of sowing conflict around saw it coming.  

But remember, the US also has a HUGE Pro-Pally and Pro-Hammy crowd.  

That is a HUGE problem.

• TBH 2
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

How so? Show your work, Teach. 

You don't want to be running for reelection and have a huge "anti-war" or anti-fighting rally going on while you are fighting or helping a fight.  It is bad for votes.