Biden Foreign Policy

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

You don't want to be running for reelection and have a huge "anti-war" or anti-fighting rally going on while you are fighting or helping a fight.  It is bad for votes.

True, but if you in any way involve American lives in an unwinnable war, it only fuels the Republican drumbeat that the world is going to hell under Biden and none of this would have happened under Trump (lacking a war, they will do the same with gas prices).  The far left sides with the underdog, as they typically do, but it's not like they're fans of Iran or fundamentalist Islam.

I mean, wouldn't it be weird if there wasn't an anti-war argument out there? 

There's not really a "pro-Hammy" crowd as you keep insisting, but there is a growing willingness across parties and interest groups to stop Netanyahu, question Israel's aims, and support relief for the Palestinians. You want to keep laying this at the feet of entitled college students blocking bridges, much like you view Kent State as a frat party gone sideways. Again, zero people who think peace in the Middle East is as simple as a cease fire, but it's the one thing that can save some lives and chaos right now.

The classic move here is a calculated show of force to counter Iran's calculated show of force, followed by the kind of diplomacy practiced by two sides that want to save face without escalation, creating a long boring process where vengeance loses steam and everyone is free to ignore the root of the problem.

If Biden handles this perfectly, the GOP can resume its outrage over student debt forgiveness.  

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

True, but if you in any way involve American lives in an unwinnable war, it only fuels the Republican drumbeat that the world is going to hell under Biden and none of this would have happened under Trump (lacking a war, they will do the same with gas prices).  The far left sides with the underdog, as they typically do, but it's not like they're fans of Iran or fundamentalist Islam.

I mean, wouldn't it be weird if there wasn't an anti-war argument out there? 

There's not really a "pro-Hammy" crowd as you keep insisting, but there is a growing willingness across parties and interest groups to stop Netanyahu, question Israel's aims, and support relief for the Palestinians. You want to keep laying this at the feet of entitled college students blocking bridges, much like you view Kent State as a frat party gone sideways. Again, zero people who think peace in the Middle East is as simple as a cease fire, but it's the one thing that can save some lives and chaos right now.

The classic move here is a calculated show of force to counter Iran's calculated show of force, followed by the kind of diplomacy practiced by two sides that want to save face without escalation, creating a long boring process where vengeance loses steam and everyone is free to ignore the root of the problem.

If Biden handles this perfectly, the GOP can resume its outrage over student debt forgiveness.  

These are all solid takes!

I think so far JB is dealing with it perfectly.  

21 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Justifiably so! 

This should go on another page but.....there's a lot about student loan forgiveness that offends the sensibilities, including mine. It would appear to play to an already entitled segment of America and ignore others more worthy of relief. And it's only part of a much larger issue of higher education that has multiple culprits and demands an almost complete retooling.

But it's also not a simple pandering handout -- if left untreated this unprecedented student loan debt is going to have a negative impact on the larger economy for years. And it's not like these students haven't been repaying their debt: in most cases they've been paying in tens of thousands of dollars in interest without touching the principal, a ridiculously predatory practice also plied on underclass borrowers. If you've got the time and can handle a host with a liberal bent, John Oliver does a good job walking through this with vetted numbers and jokes. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This should go on another page but.....there's a lot about student loan forgiveness that offends the sensibilities, including mine. It would appear to play to an already entitled segment of America and ignore others more worthy of relief. And it's only part of a much larger issue of higher education that has multiple culprits and demands an almost complete retooling.

But it's also not a simple pandering handout -- if left untreated this unprecedented student loan debt is going to have a negative impact on the larger economy for years. And it's not like these students haven't been repaying their debt: in most cases they've been paying in tens of thousands of dollars in interest without touching the principal, a ridiculously predatory practice also plied on underclass borrowers. If you've got the time and can handle a host with a liberal bent, John Oliver does a good job walking through this with vetted numbers and jokes. 

Not to derail the FoPo thread, but it is refreshing to see SOMEONE take A step to address the ridiculous cost of financing secondary education so we can actually fill out important fields requiring advanced education instead of leaving vast swaths of our workforce cratered.

However misguided people want to judge student loan forgiveness to be (and you can make a strong argument is)... what the hell else is anyone else doing to address the issue as screwed up it as it is?

It seems like the conservative position on the issue is to pretend college is still just as affordable as it was decades ago and b!^@h loudly at anyone who complains that it isn't. Cue snarky Boomers not understanding why young people don't just work a job to pay for college like they did when they were younger.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

It seems like the conservative position on the issue is to pretend college is still just as affordable as it was decades ago and b!^@h loudly at anyone who complains that it isn't. Cue snarky Boomers not understanding why young people don't just work a job to pay for college like they did when they were younger.

Not a boomer, but I paid off my student loans and so did my wife.

My first child graduated with zero student loan debt by a combination of taking on line summer and mid semester community college classes, getting academic scholarships, working and a little help from mom and dad. 

My second child graduates in May and will have zero student loan debt by doing the exact same process.  They are not Boomers either.  They worked hard in HS, worked hard in college and as a matter of fact, this past year my son has been working a full time salaries position while taking 18 and 21 hour credit semesters in order to graduate in three years because his summer finance internship hired him full time and asked him to push it and finish early.  

Neither of them jacked around or got a worthless degree and both make enough to be able to pay off student loans if they would have has to take them.  For all that effort and sacrifice, they and I get to see others get rewarded for financial incompetence.  Yayyyyy!   

College is absolutely too expensive for what they provide.   No doubt about it.  However….Anyone, and I mean anyone can get a two year degree with zero debt easily and get the other two years with minimal debt by working during school……if you are financially smart and go to an in-state public school.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Does this mean the idiot wing of the Republican party is loosing influence?  

The Senate has always been slightly more rational, because gerrymandering can't impact it and each party (generally) needs to nominate someone who isn't a complete nutjob. When you have a bunch of districts that have 70/30 splits of party membership, that's when the crazies get elected in the House.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3