NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In situations like this, there's usually an echo chamber at play. The folks inside the Athletic Department assume Husker fans will breathe a sigh of relief when they take Oklahoma off that brutal schedule and get us an early W to take some of the pressure off Scott Frost. Maybe they considered how the national sports press might run with it. Maybe they did not. They're just trying to help the program win. 

But they honestly didn't know what a bad look this is for Nebraska football until it leaked out and fans went in the exact opposite direction. This is about pride, and they read the room totally wrong. The AD is actually lucky this got leaked. Had they secured a new opponent and made the official announcement, it would have been much uglier. Maybe the leaker has an axe to grind against NU. Maybe the leaker was a true Nebraska fan. The fact that both could make the same case is kinda telling. As expected, the official explanation was panic-induced bulls#!t, but it did stop the bleeding. 

It's hard to believe the swapping maneuver would be done without the knowledge and approval of Scott Frost, and that's the hardest pill to swallow. 

the bit about the echo chamber is right, IMO. The folks down there in Lincoln know that if there are no results this year, they can’t justify year 5 or an extension. There’s no way an AD tries to remove Oklahoma from the schedule without full signoff and possible initiation from the head coach.
That no one down there saw it fit to point out the foolishness of this idea is just alarming. 

26 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yes, the OU AD tenure is the example he used for continuity for getting out of a down cycle.

The roster flipping was very necessary.

From Perlman's leadership prior to his retirement, we've had anything but continuity.

Hey, I was wondering where you were and how long it would take you to blame this on anybody but Scott and Bill. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hey, I was wondering where you were and how long it would take you to blame this on anybody but Scott and Bill. 

My post had nothing to do with the possible game cancellation.  That was something Moos and Frost we're obviously considering.

Thank God you made a phone call that changed all that 

.....and by the way, I'm not always looking for who to place "blame" on for everything.  Solutions and resolutions seem better to me.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, thatguy said:

the bit about the echo chamber is right, IMO. The folks down there in Lincoln know that if there are no results this year, they can’t justify year 5 or an extension. There’s no way an AD tries to remove Oklahoma from the schedule without full signoff and possible initiation from the head coach.
That no one down there saw it fit to point out the foolishness of this idea is just alarming. 

Speaking for myself and I think a lot of skeptics, I am always willing to judge progress by the product on the field. If I see young players emerging, scrappy team effort in every game, a couple games we could have won but didn't, and and least one legitimate upset where coaches and players all had their ears pinned back and a well-scouted strategy, then I'm still all-in on Scott Frost moving forward.  A Bethune-Cookman kind of win means less than nothing to me, and the bars, restaurants and hotels of Lincoln, Nebraska will lose money when the fanbase loses its pride, and that's the slippery slope we're on.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yes, the OU AD tenure is the example he used for continuity for getting out of a down cycle.

The roster flipping was very necessary.

From Perlman's leadership prior to his retirement, we've had anything but continuity.

An unadulterated crap show dumpster fire......Still hoping it gets fixed.

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

.....and by the way, I'm not always looking for who to place "blame" on for everything.  

Your posting history suggests otherwise. 

Serious question: wouldn't three years of continuity under Moos and Frost be enough to establish trends and accountability?  

Per my previous post, this year is a helluva schedule and I don't expect to see the numbers go up, but the effort, execution, and talent should be visible after the three season learning experience. I'm always excited to see who steps up. We could argue the down cycle is closer to 20 years long at this point, and the bar for Frost and Moos is far lower than it has been for any coach or AD of the last 60 years. 

But don't try to cancel the 50th anniversary of the Game of the Century because you're worried about your coaches and players being too emotionally fragile, then try to blame it on economics. At this point the fans are keenly aware of the odds against the Huskers, because they're now uhm.....used to it. The palpable fear of failure is generally the worst look possible for a team wanting out of a down cycle. Tempting as it might be, you don't even entertain the notion of dodging Oklahoma, much less let it leak out to the public and players. You buck up and play the game. And if you're as good as last year's 4-6 Kansas State team, you beat them in Norman.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Serious question: wouldn't three years of continuity under Moos and Frost be enough to establish trends and accountability?  

Per my previous post, this year is a helluva schedule and I don't expect to see the numbers go up, but the effort, execution, and talent should be visible after the three season learning experience. I'm always excited to see who steps up. We could argue the down cycle is closer to 20 years long at this point, and the bar for Frost and Moos is far lower than it has been for any coach or AD of the last 60 years. 

But don't try to cancel the 50th anniversary of the Game of the Century because you're worried about your coaches and players being too emotionally fragile, then try to blame it on economics. At this point the fans are keenly aware of the odds against the Huskers, because they're now uhm.....used to it. The palpable fear of failure is generally the worst look possible for a team wanting out of a down cycle. Tempting as it might be, you don't even entertain the notion of dodging Oklahoma, much less let it leak out to the public and players. You buck up and play the game. And if you're as good as last year's 4-6 Kansas State team, you beat them in Norman.

There are many who share your opinions.

But you often attempt to word your opinions as fact.

And you are correct, if I placed blame on one person for the state of the Husker program the past 20 seasons it would be Harvey Perlman.

The good news for me is he accepted such in his retirement speech about how he"ll be remembered in regard to Husker football.

Perlman made the Nebraska head football coaching gig very undesirable.

As far as three years being enough for Frost and Moos to establish continuity.....no.

I happen to believe we'll be pretty good this season.

You probably disagree.

Feel free to make another phone call.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
33 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There are many who share your opinions.

But you often attempt to word your opinions as fact.

And you are correct, if I placed blame on one person for the state of the Husker program the past 20 seasons it would be Harvey Perlman.

The good news for me is he accepted such in his retirement speech about how he"ll be remembered in regard to Husker football.

Perlman made the Nebraska head football coaching gig very undesirable.

As far as three years being enough for Frost and Moos to establish continuity.....no.

I happen to believe we'll be pretty good this season.

You probably disagree.

Feel free to make another phone call.

Oh it wasn't just me making that phone call. It was thousands of stalwart Husker fans braving the Athletic Department phone tree to help save the program from embarrassing itself. Turns out we were right: the AD read the situation wrong. Please don't give me too much credit. It's just what heroes do. 

I think I made two posts just this morning stating my feelings about the coming season. If they weren't blatantly optimistic, they were hopeful and open-minded. There's no need to cast me as a hater just because I mock your rather elastic defense of Scott Frost,

As far as continuity and Perlman go: Bo Pelini had seven years as head coach, and prior to his last season Eichorst gave him a contract extension, a new plane and a bigger recruiting budget. Back in those innocent times, you'd be hard pressed to find a Nebraska fan who considered Bo's 9-4 continuity to be acceptable. The only question was how many more years you give him to start winning the meaningful games. Perlman did not make the head football coaching gig undesirable Fan expectations did. And the fans were correct, if you thought Nebraska needed to be competing for at least divisional Big 10 titles. After Bo called his AD a c*nt in a long self-pitying final speech to his players, he went to the safety of his home town Youngstown team and a totally nurturing administration, where he wore out his welcome in similar fashion and is no longer a head coach, instead using his reputation as a defensive guru to lead LSU to some of the worst defensive performances in its history. Ipso facto, Perlman and Eichorst made the right call, whether you like them or not. It's also not Perlman's fault that Husker fans assumed the HC position at UNL would lure any top coaching candidate. We developed that expectation on our own. Turns out we weren't competing for Nick Saban or Jim Harbaugh. Brett Bielema and the second tier weren't interested, either. That's how we ended up with Mike Riley. Nebraska wouldn't have stood a chance for UCF's Scott Frost if he wasn't a native son. He was really tempted to go SEC as it was. 

Did  Harvey Perlman, chancellor of the University of Nebraska, personally resent that his shepherding of a huge multi-faceted educational system would be judged by the success of the football coach -- the highest paid public official in the state? Probably. 

Harvey has been gone for 5 years. 

• Plus1 5
26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh it wasn't just me making that phone call. It was thousands of stalwart Husker fans braving the Athletic Department phone tree to help save the program from embarrassing itself. Turns out we were right: the AD read the situation wrong. Please don't give me too much credit. It's just what heroes do. 

I think I made two posts just this morning stating my feelings about the coming season. If they weren't blatantly optimistic, they were hopeful and open-minded. There's no need to cast me as a hater just because I mock your rather elastic defense of Scott Frost,

As far as continuity and Perlman go: Bo Pelini had seven years as head coach, and prior to his last season Eichorst gave him a contract extension, a new plane and a bigger recruiting budget. Back in those innocent times, you'd be hard pressed to find a Nebraska fan who considered Bo's 9-4 continuity to be acceptable. The only question was how many more years you give him to start winning the meaningful games. Perlman did not make the head football coaching gig undesirable Fan expectations did. And the fans were correct, if you thought Nebraska needed to be competing for at least divisional Big 10 titles. After Bo called his AD a c*nt in a long self-pitying final speech to his players, he went to the safety of his home town Youngstown team and a totally nurturing administration, where he wore out his welcome in similar fashion and is no longer a head coach, instead using his reputation as a defensive guru to lead LSU to some of the worst defensive performances in its history. Ipso facto, Perlman and Eichorst made the right call, whether you like them or not. It's also not Perlman's fault that Husker fans assumed the HC position at UNL would lure any top coaching candidate. We developed that expectation on our own. Turns out we weren't competing for Nick Saban or Jim Harbaugh. Brett Bielema and the second tier weren't interested, either. That's how we ended up with Mike Riley. Nebraska wouldn't have stood a chance for UCF's Scott Frost if he wasn't a native son. He was really tempted to go SEC as it was. 

Did  Harvey Perlman, chancellor of the University of Nebraska, personally resent that his shepherding of a huge multi-faceted educational system would be judged by the success of the football coach -- the highest paid public official in the state? Probably. 

The microwave is great for mashed potatoes.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A lot of great points in this IMHO. No fan, even the most rabid, had OU as a W.....No one.  As you mentioned, most were hoping to see a solid outing.  Play with fire and passion and keep is respectable.  (I now dodn't look at simply W-L, I also look at moral victories.  Haha).  

And speaking to 3 years to see a trend, there is one and it's not good.  A downward trajectory each year on O.  In pretty much every category.  And that's not good.  And I see nothing to say we will be better next year.  AM has been hurt every year.  And in year 4, like previous years, no back up QB.  No RB with more than what seems to be 2 touches, the leading receiver (pleasant surprise TBH) in Levi with 13 touches.......New OL, new RB, new receivers....What could go wrong.  And it's year 4.  We should have senior (or at least juniors) across the board who can step up and show out....And they are no where to be found.  2 years in a row with the leading offensive production has left.  I'd be lying if I said I wanted Chin from the jump.  The defensive side continues to improve.  Without the D, we lose 2 more games last year....BUT we hired Frost for his offensive prowess.  The promise of Oregon speed and Husker power.  I see none of that.  He really hasn't tweaked his scheme at all.  Saw some flashes last year.  Was that Lubick? Will it continue. We are bigger and stronger (allegedly), but it hasn't translated to more wins.......

And if Frost knew of this/supported/thought it was a good idea, then I feel comfortable in saying he is not the right guy for NU.  I just want to see all of the bravado come out on the field.  For the O to play like the D.....

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yes, Bo had seven years though it was split between two very different conferences. It is quite a style/speed/size difference between the Big Ten and the Big 12. In addition, the recruiting footprint adjusted as we went from playing 4 games a year in either Oklahoma or Texas to playing in Indiana, Illinois, etc. That shift was remarkably different and to Bo's credit, his staff still made the conference title game three out of his seven years. 

Would you consider that Perlman or Eichorst were supportive of Bo Pelini or were they just tolerant? 

I will strongly disagree with the bolded above. Perlman and Eichorst were self-serving and ego-driven. They did not "make the right call" in any sense. I cannot point to anything specific that Eichorst did that was a positive for our athletic department. Perlman should only get credit for bringing back Tom Osborne as AD to fire Callahan and bring in Pelini. Tom negotiated us into the Big Ten during the turmoil, Perlman was along for the ride. 

Perlman has been the key cog in the downfall of our athletic department the past 20 years as @TheSker pointed out. His ego and the desire to not let Tom Osborne be the face of the University any longer had a directly negative impact on the entire program. Remember, Perlman went to hire Eichorst without any input from the soon to be retiring Osborne. TO was so pissed about it that he didn't even attend the press conference welcoming Eichorst. Pelini mentioned something about that in the first interview, I believe with Sip in the LJS, where he questioned why Tom hadn't been included in any discussions. It was essentially Bo & Tom vs. Harvey & Shawn and it was doomed from the start. 

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

But he tried to drop Oklahoma. 

Arrogant people do dumb s#!t when their a$$ and reputation are on the line.

I was looking for a polite way of saying this. 
In many cases, arrogance is just a mask for some area that is deficient. When the hubris is bad enough, they can find themselves doing things to protect the mask instead of fixing the deficiency. That’s how really arrogant people come out looking stupid at times. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:11 PM, Mastershake said:

“Hey guys, we have absolutely no faith in you, now let’s go beat OU!”

Well I hope nobody on the team reads this board.  Everyone has them getting curb stomped before they play.  Is Oklahoma that much better than Ohio St?  I know they beat Nebraska pretty soundly but the guys on the team had a pretty good half.  Also all Frost has to do is tell the team he had no knowledge of what was going on.  Moos can back him up to help him save face to the team.  Also most of the guys on the team probably don't care

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well I hope nobody on the team reads this board.  Everyone has them getting curb stomped before they play.  Is Oklahoma that much better than Ohio St?  I know they beat Nebraska pretty soundly but the guys on the team had a pretty good half.  Also all Frost has to do is tell the team he had no knowledge of what was going on.  Moos can back him up to help him save face to the team.  Also most of the guys on the team probably don't care

If Frost did know, he shouldn't and won't lie about it.  Lying is rarely the answer.  IMO,  the key here is to not let the players place too much importance on the OU game.  While it may be an important game to fans for nostalgic reasons, the conference and especially divisional foes are much more important for what this team's goals are.