NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

3 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

We are going to dodge a good team to try and schedule an easy team that we will probably lose too and make us look even more pathetic.  Sounds like a bold move.

??!??

We already announced we are sticking with OU. 

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

5 - 1 in a mediocre conference.

10 years in said conference and zero conference tournament championships

In those 10 years of B1G play we've achieved this:

Postseason play: (4 times)

2014 2 1–2 Regional
2016 3 0–2 Regional
2017 2 0–2 Regional
2019 3 1–2 Regional

Call it what you want but in my opinion when you haven't won a conference baseball tournament and have reached postseason play in only 4 of the 10 years that you've been in said conference you are at best mediocre!!

Our men's programs, out side of wrestling, have been and remain nothing more than mediocre at best

Funny; I don't see 2021 on there, which is what I was talking about. 

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

The conspiratorial part of me thinks the HC would only sign off on that if he is desperate for wins and feels he has another squad that can't make a bowl yet again.

Please say it ain't so.

Your post, and others, now has me wondering this as well.  Do the powers that be foresee another 4-5 win season at best and are desperate to save jobs by adjusting the schedule.  If that is truly the case, then this will be the last year of Frost and Moos.  

I see the D being much improved, but see the O stagnant or following the 3 year trend and being worse than last year....And that is unbelievable.  Just too many unknowns and no real proven skill guys.  TONS of potential, but nothing proven.  

Regardless of the reasoning, not a good look.  Especially after laying an egg in 2020 and getting mocked by the B1G. Especially after losing some of those games.....

• Plus1 1

I hope the players are upset about a potential ducking of an elite opponent and come out ready to play hard and compete. 
I certainly don’t want this to turn into “the fans are pissed at our coach/program” and go ‘us against the world’ BS Like we’ve seen before. 

I’m upset at the possibility they tried to back out  but I’m still all in for the team, program, coaches and fans. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

This whole mess has me concerned as well. If.Moos somehow was doing this on his own without the knowledge of HCSF then it may be time for him to move along since he clearly doesn't understand the Husker culture.

But I have hard time believing he would do that. If HCSF was aware of it then WTF? He was born and raised in the culture and knows it better than anyone. In what universe did he think this would go down well with the fanbase?

Regardless it has me asking just what the hell is going on in the athletic department to even entertain this kind of nonsense for even a millisecond?

Not that I had much faith coming into this season that things were going to turn around but now that  little bit of hope I had has totally vanished. It just keeps getting harder and harder to be a Husker fan.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

To that point, other than history, why would Nebraska play Oklahoma this year?

There's a fair argument to be made that, mid-late 90s when we were steamrolling everyone and Oklahoma was terrible, they were more than willing to duck us and not demand a protected crossover. Such a game is easy to build into the schedule. They definitely chose not to, and we didn't want that.

This is not to say Nebraska trying to back out of this year's game is anything other than terrible. But let's not pretend that Oklahoma didn't do something similar 25 years ago.

Yep!!!

I don't personally think either Moos or Frost was looking to "duck" OU.  I'm also not looking for any further explanation.

Many of the sports columnists said financial considerations are a very real thing.....then ignore the reality of that in the rest of what they write to get their clicks and agitate.

There were zero home games in 2020.  That affected every city obviously, but Lincoln businesses aren't worried about Norman Oklahoma when they've been devastated financially.

And I'm very much looking forward to the game and happy it's going to be played.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
47 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

It’s rumored Frost was the one to initiate this.  

FWIW

If it was, then it wasn't for financial reasons....IF TRUE, so much for developing culture......Having the kids buy in.....If this is getting out, true or not, the damage is done......You don't out that smoke back in a match.  Frost needs to get in front of this. Like yesterday.

• Plus1 1

Here is an article interviewing TO.  Looks like it was kicked around enough that he heard about it prior to it getting leaked...And he drops some reality checks about the state of the program (tempering expectations)....And the scheduling in the B1G...Unsure about the first quoted topic about "change your way out of a down cycle".  I'm guessing the whole roster flip?  The complete change of scheme every few years...Whole thing is a mess.

“You don’t normally change your way out of a down cycle,” said Osborne, Frost’s former college coach and a staunch supporter.

“It hasn’t really worked out where every team plays every other team from the other division an equal number of times,” Osborne said. “That’s been a little surprising to me, that it hasn’t been structured that way.”

“I just hope that people bear in mind how things end up at the end of the year are somewhat a function of how good you are and what the schedule is,” Osborne said. “It’s going to be one of the most difficult schedules a Nebraska team has ever played, I believe.”

“Scott’s trying to build a program,” Osborne said. “I just hope Nebraska plays well and is able to win the game. It won’t be easy. And there are a lot of games next year that aren’t going to be easy. But it is what it is. I’m sure everybody tried to do what they thought was in the best interest of their situation.”

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/despite-drama-tom-osborne-pleased-to-see-nebraska-oklahoma-game-remain-as-scheduled/article_4b6a8ad0-8437-11eb-bceb-f3760ac42468.amp.html

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here is an article interviewing TO.  Looks like it was kicked around enough that he heard about it prior to it getting leaked...And he drops some reality checks about the state of the program (tempering expectations)....And the scheduling in the B1G...Unsure about the first quoted topic about "change your way out of a down cycle".  I'm guessing the whole roster flip?  The complete change of scheme every few years...Whole thing is a mess.

“You don’t normally change your way out of a down cycle,” said Osborne, Frost’s former college coach and a staunch supporter.

“It hasn’t really worked out where every team plays every other team from the other division an equal number of times,” Osborne said. “That’s been a little surprising to me, that it hasn’t been structured that way.”

“I just hope that people bear in mind how things end up at the end of the year are somewhat a function of how good you are and what the schedule is,” Osborne said. “It’s going to be one of the most difficult schedules a Nebraska team has ever played, I believe.”

“Scott’s trying to build a program,” Osborne said. “I just hope Nebraska plays well and is able to win the game. It won’t be easy. And there are a lot of games next year that aren’t going to be easy. But it is what it is. I’m sure everybody tried to do what they thought was in the best interest of their situation.”

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/despite-drama-tom-osborne-pleased-to-see-nebraska-oklahoma-game-remain-as-scheduled/article_4b6a8ad0-8437-11eb-bceb-f3760ac42468.amp.html

Changing your way out of a down cycle is referring to all the coaching changes and the AD position.

10 minutes ago, desertshox said:

That arrogance wouldnt allow him to entertain the idea of dropping OU.

10 minutes ago, desertshox said:

That arrogance wouldnt allow him to entertain the idea of dropping OU.

Looking at another losing season in year 4 might make even an arrogant man try to find a way out......I agree it doesn't sound like something he would do.  However, like the excuse of covid and economics, had he been part of the decision it could be from the perspective of the team "being on the cusp", but a beat down so early in the season would destroy the psyche of the team.  Backing out under the guise of nobility.

David Goggins (Navy SEAL) was in the Air Force prior to joining the Navy.  Was in the pipeline for Para Rescue, but the swimming was crushing him.  He wanted to quit.  He was diagnosed with Sickle Cell and was told the choice to continue was his, but med staff was unsure how it impact his ability to dive.  David said this was the "excuse" he was looking for.  He had a "noble" way out.  Justified by "I'm not quitting, I have a health issue and med dropping".  Dude went on to become a one man wrecking crew with fitness.  Great book.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Changing your way out of a down cycle is referring to all the coaching changes and the AD position.

Good point.  I was wondering.  I was thinking the constant scheme changes and wholesale roster changes.  Continuity makes sense as he mentions OU AD has been there like 23 years....

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, lo country said:

Good point.  I was wondering.  I was thinking the constant scheme changes and wholesale roster changes.  Continuity makes sense as he mentions OU AD has been there like 23 years....

Yes, the OU AD tenure is the example he used for continuity for getting out of a down cycle.

The roster flipping was very necessary.

From Perlman's leadership prior to his retirement, we've had anything but continuity.