Managing the QB Room

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Give any Husker quarterback* that 2009 defense and the whole team becomes a legend.

* Excluding Zac Lee, obviously. 

Sweet; let's get a time machine and throw Tanner Lee on that team. Don't even need a new uniform. 

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Is this where I can complain about Osborne not redshirting Gerry Gdowski early in his career, and him only having 1 year as a starter in 1989, after Steve Taylor's graduation in 1988?

For some of our younger followers, here are the numbers for Gerry Gdowski from the 10-2 1989 season

52% completion rate, but a staggering 9.8 yards per attempt, with 19 TDs to 2 interceptions and a 177.3 QB rating. He also ran for 925 yards with a 7.9 average per carry and an additional 13 touchdowns. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
51 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Well, let's explore your logic here for a second:

And: 

But: 

And:

Help me understand, Johnny: It's not ok to poo poo our good throwing QBs, but it's ok to poo poo Zac Taylor and Cowboy Joe Ganz, even though they were "solid" (read: good) throwing QBs?

That's our mount Rushmore of passing QBs.  It's not a knock on them.  They were good.  But just take a scan throughout the rest of college football and see what other top tier programs mount Rushmore looks like.  The bar is very low at Nebraska, in comparison.  

It isn't Ganz or Taylor's fault the passing tradition here has been non-existent before they arrived.

Taylor was good, Ganz was good.  I never bashed either one of them.  Just stating that they're the best we've got isn't great in comparison to the rest of the football world.  

Y'all just knocking Martinez all the damn time when everyone in here knows he's got more tools in his shed than so many that have come before him here.  

As a fan base, we have very little to go off of...as far as what a good passing QBs looks like.  Let's pump the breaks on dumping all over our current one.  That's what my entire message has been about.  Much love, Tony

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

That's our mount Rushmore of passing QBs.  It's not a knock on them.  They were good.  But just take a scan throughout the rest of college football and see what other top tier programs mount Rushmore looks like.  The bar is very low at Nebraska, in comparison.  

It isn't Ganz or Taylor's fault the passing tradition here has been non-existent before they arrived.

Taylor was good, Ganz was good.  I never bashed either one of them.  Just stating that they're the best we've got isn't great in comparison to the rest of the football world.  

Y'all just knocking Martinez all the damn time when everyone in here knows he's got more tools in his shed than so many that have come before him here.  

As a fan base, we have very little to go off of...as far as what a good passing QBs looks like.  Let's pump the breaks on dumping all over our current one.  That's what my entire message has been about.  Much love, Tony

Adrian Martinez is probably the best passing quarterback in our history of running quarterbacks. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

I’m perfectly fine with a short list at Nebraska based on the offense we ran for years. 

I would also add Farigamo, Berringer, Tagge, to the list. 

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

But it's ok to downplay their accomplishments and admonish those who do the same to Adrian Martinez?

21 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

When Cowboy Joe Ganz is your "go-to" best throwing QB...the bar is very low.  

That's an awfully backhanded compliment, no?

I understand that context is important, and sure, comparative to other programs who have had more focus on the passing game throughout their history, our history of having good throwing QBs is sparse. But downplaying the accomplishments of our two most accomplished passing QBs while admonishing others for doing that to Adrian is a bit hypocritical, isn't it? At the very least, your goalposts are on wheels, John. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree with everything except the first sentence. :)

Then quit doing what’s in sentence number two :P

I suppose negativity is in the eye of the beholder but I assure you, I am not being negative. To say our WRs and RBs have been a non-factor, and that some play calling has been suspect, the last 2 years is not negative, it’s just reality. But god no, I don’t want to be one of the “realist” posters :lol:

Actually I think we are on the same page otherwise :cheers

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

But it's ok to downplay their accomplishments and admonish those who do the same to Adrian Martinez?

That's an awfully backhanded compliment, no?

I understand that context is important, and sure, comparative to other programs who have had more focus on the passing game throughout their history, our history of having good throwing QBs is sparse. But downplaying the accomplishments of our two most accomplish passing QBs while admonishing others for doing that to Adrian is a bit hypocritical, isn't it? At the very least, your goalposts are on wheels, John. 

Tony, Cowboy Joe was a gun-slinger.  That's why I called him that.  IMO, he was the best we've had.  I not poo pooing him at all.  Nearly 70% completion percentage, great TD/INT ratio...having the one season only really hurt.  I thought Taylor was good too, but also thought he was more of a game manager/system QB guy.  He picked the right system & he had some good years, for sure.

Would either of these guys be top 5 QBs at Wisconsin?  I don't know.  Penn State?  Probably not.  Michigan?  Michigan state?  Ohio State?

I sometimes think nostalgia warps thinking when it comes to husker football.  I loved husker football as a kid...and I still love it now.  I'll support Adrian and any other current player.  He's a great young man & a good quarterback.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Tony, Cowboy Joe was a gun-slinger.  That's why I called him that.  IMO, he was the best we've had.  I not poo pooing him at all.  Nearly 70% completion percentage, great TD/INT ratio...having the one season only really hurt.  I thought Taylor was good too, but also thought he was more of a game manager/system QB guy.  He picked the right system & he had some good years, for sure.

Would either of these guys be top 5 QBs at Wisconsin?  I don't know.  Penn State?  Probably not.  Michigan?  Michigan state?  Ohio State?

I sometimes think nostalgia warps thinking when it comes to husker football.  I loved husker football as a kid...and I still love it now.  I'll support Adrian and any other current player.  He's a great young man & a good quarterback.

Ganz would be a top 5 QB statistically in yards, TDs, and completion % at Wisconsin. Top 10 at Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State. Basically on a season and a half. 

I'm fine with whatever you choose to believe, and how you choose to display it; I'm not trying to dissuade you, just trying to understand your line of thinking. That, and positive discourse on the board is very much welcome in this day and age. Just don't forget to sweep the leg. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Ganz would be a top 5 QB statistically in yards, TDs, and completion % at Wisconsin. Top 10 at Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State. Basically on a season and a half. 

I'm fine with whatever you choose to believe, and how you choose to display it; I'm not trying to dissuade you, just trying to understand your line of thinking. That, and positive discourse on the board is very much welcome in this day and age. Just don't forget to sweep the leg. 

Im not mad at ya, I know better than to mess with the guy that snapped the infinity stone glove.  I think we both love the huskers and both want them to do well.  Just a difference of opinion on this area.  Cheers to you iron man!  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Im not mad at ya, I know better than to mess with the guy that snapped the infinity stone glove.  I think we both love the huskers and both want them to do well.  Just a difference of opinion on this area.  Cheers to you iron man!  

tenor.gif?itemid=17135923

• Plus1 1