Managing the QB Room

On 8/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

For some of our younger followers, here are the numbers for Gerry Gdowski from the 10-2 1989 season

52% completion rate, but a staggering 9.8 yards per attempt, with 19 TDs to 2 interceptions and a 177.3 QB rating. He also ran for 925 yards with a 7.9 average per carry and an additional 13 touchdowns. 

We would stay during the blowouts until the the final gun- because we wanted to see the kid from Fremont play. He was an amazing track athlete and ran the option extremely well. 

19-2 and 10 yards an attempt- take that all day. He was a joy to watch. Shame he got stuck behind Taylor

3 hours ago, Bledred said:

We have a QB room?  I thought it was just Adrian Martinez's apartment living room. 

Unfortunately he still is the best chance we have at winning games, we have zero legitimate depth.

The sunshine pumpers said in 2019 Martinez was going to do great because he didnt have anyone breathing down his neck

Then last year the same people said Adrian was going to do great because he had competition

THis year they are back to the 2019 version- that since Martinez doesn't have any competition- hes relaxed and its a big help etc. Cracks me up- what a spin zone. I mean how many accounts can Adrians mom have going at one time or are our fans that lost?

Three brief thoughts:

The Transfer Portal has become a whole new piece of the college football scene that needs to be managed (and mastered). That means figuring out how to convince backups (who think they should be starters) to stay AND shopping for & convincing transfers (at our positions of need) to come to Nebraska. This is (what?) the THIRD YEAR we’ve had the #2 QB transfer under Frost? Vedral, Gebbia, McCaffrey? Makes #3 QB recruiting/development more crucial as #2 transferring provides #3 a big opportunity.

Secondly, I don’t think Frost is dumb. But I knew it would take time for him to learn what it takes to win in the B1G and I think he’s been bringing in the pieces (taller receivers, Prime Beef on the OL & DL). And he’s bring back homegrown talent to develop (& eventually STAR) in Lincoln.

Related to that, we all know a QB’s success is highly dependent upon that OL. To give him a running threat and time to throw ( and throw longer routes). If your OL can’t give you those things your QB isn’t going to win many contests in the B1G on his own.

I like to think of myself as a realist, and I’m not a betting man - but I would bet the HOUSE that Nebraska will be Bowl Bound after this season, and I think I would place the over/under number of wins at 7-1/2.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4
9 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

The Transfer Portal has become a whole new piece of the college football scene that needs to be managed (and mastered). That means figuring out how to convince backups (who think they should be starters) to stay AND shopping for & convincing transfers (at our positions of need) to come to Nebraska.

I would just do a "where are they now" presentation on the transfers.  Not like the guys who have left as of late have set the world on fire.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Secondly, I don’t think Frost is dumb. But I knew it would take time for him to learn what it takes to win in the B1G and I think he’s been bringing in the pieces (taller receivers, Prime Beef on the OL & DL). And he’s bring back homegrown talent to develop (& eventually STAR) in Lincoln.

I'm not so sure it was as big of learning curve as some might think.  I remember reading on here somewhere (possibly from @Mavric) showing that he was actually trying to recruit these types of players from the beginning.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Unfortunately he still is the best chance we have at winning games, we have zero legitimate depth.

The sunshine pumpers said in 2019 Martinez was going to do great because he didnt have anyone breathing down his neck

Then last year the same people said Adrian was going to do great because he had competition

THis year they are back to the 2019 version- that since Martinez doesn't have any competition- hes relaxed and its a big help etc. Cracks me up- what a spin zone. I mean how many accounts can Adrians mom have going at one time or are our fans that lost?

When he does great this year, I'm going to love watching you eat crow :)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
9 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

When he does great this year, I'm going to love watching you eat crow :)

Im hoping he does really well. Ive attended every home game hes been in and cheered him on at every game. Our group is heading to Champaign to support the team in the opener. Unfortunately there simply isnt any data at all that shows our QB coaches choose or develop players very well at all.  If Im missing something on Gebbia, Martinez, Luke, Smothers, Bunch or Vedral- please post the data. I would love to see it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Nebraska55fan said:

Im hoping he does really well. Ive attended every home game hes been in and cheered him on at every game. Unfortunately there simply isnt any data at all that shows our QB coaches choose or develop players very well at all.  If Im missing something on Gebbia, Martinez, Luke, Smothers, Bunch or Vedral- please post the data. 

I agree.  They never have ever recruited or coached a successful QB in their entire coaching careers.

• Oh Yeah! 1
25 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Im hoping he does really well. Ive attended every home game hes been in and cheered him on at every game. Our group is heading to Champaign to support the team in the opener. Unfortunately there simply isnt any data at all that shows our QB coaches choose or develop players very well at all.  If Im missing something on Gebbia, Martinez, Luke, Smothers, Bunch or Vedral- please post the data. I would love to see it.

you got to go to the games last year? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
37 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

It has been posted repeatedly.  You just keep ignoring it.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I would just do a "where are they now" presentation on the transfers.  Not like the guys who have left as of late have set the world on fire.  

Outside of Greg Bell, every transfer people love to bring up has done exactly nothing impressive at their new schools (FWIW I think Wandale and JD will have very good seasons this year so they'll probably be added to the list). 

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It has been posted repeatedly.  You just keep ignoring it.

Im still waiting for you to answer how Smothers threw all those passes against the first teamers on the reds- at the game you said you watched. But obviously didnt

Yes none of us got to go in person- last season. I do go to and watch all the games in person allowed- obviously you cant say the same. :dunno I have an extra TV if that helps you- I hear Big Red keno doesnt have a drink minimum so you can probably watch there. 

• Fire 1