If a B1G team can’t play because of COVID-19, it will forfeit the game

Bledred

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You are missing the point.  Every team will have some positive cases this year but since testing is no longer required, and vaccinated people don't have to quarantine, it will be football as usual.  

I think @Bigred_inSDis referring to the perceived double standard the conference has with OSU and rules the past few years.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I saw what you posted but that is an NCAA guideline. No guarantee the Big Ten doesn't make stricter rules.

The Big Ten has said it will not have conference level guidance but allow schools to determine what protocols work best for athletes on their campuses.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31959728/ncaa-recommends-routine-covid-19-tests-unvaccinated-athletes-latest-guidance-report

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You read it wrong.  Testing is no longer required.

That's not entirely correct either, but I was wrong about daily testing

"Unvaccinated athletes and coaches, however, will be tested once or three times per week for the virus (depending on the type of test used), according to NCAA recommendations. Unvaccinated individuals should also wear masks in public settings at all times, while vaccinated individuals should do so indoors."

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

That's not entirely correct either, but I was wrong about daily testing

"Unvaccinated athletes and coaches, however, will be tested once or three times per week for the virus (depending on the type of test used), according to NCAA recommendations. Unvaccinated individuals should also wear masks in public settings at all times, while vaccinated individuals should do so indoors."

Where did that quote come from and how old is it?  Also, a recommendation is not a requirement.

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Where did that quote come from and how old is it?  Also, a recommendation is not a requirement.

In my profession (governmental auditing), standards use the words "must" or "should" which have slightly different definitions.

"Must" = is required/madatory

"Should" = is required in the absence of some specific exceptions

Using that, it would seem to me that the NCAA/Conference is leaving open the possibility of exceptions to the rule.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I am not trying to argue, and you could certainly be 100% correct. But how can there be Covid penalties/forfeits if no one is ever tested?

Thanks and good point.  I'll look into it more.  

I really see this Covid forfeit penalty as a last push to get as many athletes vaccinated as possible.  If I'm a player, and I read everything that has come out in the last month about how things will be handled this season, I'm getting the vaccine.  

What the NCAA and the B1G are saying with this rule is if you don't have high enough vaccination % on your team, you might have to forfeit a game.  Again, if a player/coach is vaccinated, they are not required to quarantine so therefore are free to play unless they exhibit symptoms, and test positive afterwards.    

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Key difference... vaccinated..... easy to look back now and make a statement like that... last year no vaccines, still a lot of uncertainty on this situation (which still exists today to an extent)....

What's the latest % number on our status for this?  Wasnt there a story back in late june we still only int he 65-70%ish range on team vaccination numbers?

Ehh, I still think it should’ve been a forfeit last year too. D1 football teams had rigorous testing, contact tracing etc. in place, maybe 2nd only to the medical profession. Many teams were able to stay eligible through discipline and following procedures. Vaccine or not, I feel teams that did not stay eligible should’ve had to forfeit instead of simply having games cancelled.

• Plus1 1