Josh Pate on Can Nebraska football still be fixed

32 minutes ago, Undone said:

Which would you rather have:

-A 9-3 minimum record each year with a coach that says "f*** our fans."

or:

-A perpectual 5-7 record each year with Scott Frost.

Neither…..and I really don’t care if the coach says eff the fans or not. The major problem with Bo was that he thought 9 wins without any wins of importance was good enough. It wasn’t. Of course 9 wins is light years ahead of where we’ve been since but the fact remains, he crapped the bed in big games and set all sorts of new futility records along the way. Factor in that necessary information and yeah, his demeanor and attitude became unacceptable. I’m glad he got fired. That in no way indicates Riley, or now Frost, have produced acceptable results. 9 wins while getting rolled by the big boys and not winning any conference championships really isn’t much different than winning 5 games imo. Its just 4 more happy days on the road to nowhere.

• Plus1 4

Yeah, I never minded Bo being salty. Frankly I admire a coach willing to call chickens#!t on a live mike. 

But a lot of coaches can be salty and aggressive without being a$$h@!es. Bo was too thin-skinned, so he viewed everything through the lens of loyalty. By the end he'd pitted the players against the fans and media. s#!tty move from a petty guy. 

Like Hedley, I'll take big wins from a bad boy any day. As long as he tips his pole dancer appropriately. 

• Plus1 6

Maybe my scope of view of the Bo situation was skewed a bit, but I remember the overwhelming majority of fans were glad he was gone. Firing Bo wasn't the wrong decision  - hiring Mike Riley was. 

Would I take Bo back right now? Nope. He's proven how much of a commodity he is in modern day. Nearly got ran out of his FCS gig and absolutely got ran out after one year of his P5 coordinator gig. The game has passed him by and he's proven he refuses to adapt.

Re: lines out of asscracks. I'm pretty sure we'd all line up our own asscracks for the HC to do lines out of if he's winning national championships.

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

Maybe my scope of view of the Bo situation was skewed a bit, but I remember the overwhelming majority of fans were glad he was gone. Firing Bo wasn't the wrong decision  - hiring Mike Riley was. 

We'll never know, but it seemed to me that a overwhelming majority of Husker fans who had moved out of state approved of the firing, while a lot of the locals -- like my brother -- thought it was a big mistake that would look bad nationally and hurt our recruiting. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Husker66 said:

A decent coach with top 20 recruiting classes would probably not be having losing seasons and sure as hell wouldnt be losing those players every year. how could they? having good  players solves a lot.

As does KEEPING and DEVELOPING them.....Something that is non-existent on the offensive side of the ball. (speaking primarily to development)

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Which would you rather have:

-A 9-3 minimum record each year with a coach that says "f*** our fans."

or:

-A perpectual 5-7 record each year with Scott Frost.

How we going to get to 5?

and that Bo said that about fans bothers me not, it’s that he was recorded. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

How we going to get to 5?

and that Bo said that about fans bothers me not, it’s that he was recorded. 

If he wouldn’t have been recorded, you wouldn’t have known he said it :lol: or maybe that’s what you’re getting at :dunno

Not that the Bo situation needs to be rehashed for the umpteenth time. I am so sick of having nothing better to talk about than the long list of coaches who have failed to deliver at Nebraska.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

If he wouldn’t have been recorded, you wouldn’t have known he said it :lol: or maybe that’s what you’re getting at :dunno

Not that the Bo situation needs to be rehashed for the umpteenth time. I am so sick of having nothing better to talk about than the long list of coaches who have failed to deliver at Nebraska.

He was venting. And we are aholes. And now we’re losing aholes

but I think he needed to go. He worked himself up so tight I think he was going stroke out. 

• Plus1 2

If being a good coach means evaluating talent (and getting it right much of the time - no one is 100%), having the admiration of your players, having the personal charisma to get "buy in," having a broad stable of assistant coach candidates you can call upon, having a loyal set of assistants you can immediately plug in, and having a clear vision of what sort of system you want to run... then it may be the case that Frost is a good coach.

Frost is failing because he wants to run a system predicted upon a dual-threat QB.  If the question is: is it the case that a system predicated on a dual-threat QB is effective?  The answer is: yes.  The trouble is that smuggled into that question is a second one: can you actually land a dual-threat QB?  Or can you only land a running back who can throw the ball a little?

There are between 0 and 2 true dual-threat QB's throughout the nation on any given year.  That is why this is a terrible plan.  Frost can't get the piece he needs.  If he could, he'd succeed.

And to make matters worse, he can't reverse course over night.  The entire offense is built around the concept that he'll have a dual-threat QB.  So if he does the right thing and reverses course, you need to give him about 3 more years to finish the project of building a different kind of offense.  But, then again, you'd need to give the next guy that. 

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We'll never know, but it seemed to me that a overwhelming majority of Husker fans who had moved out of state approved of the firing, while a lot of the locals -- like my brother -- thought it was a big mistake that would look bad nationally and hurt our recruiting. 

I agree with a lot of your posts. I disagree with this one. We locals were tired of him trying to pit the players against the fans. Bo had his positives but his "exit speech" revealed exactly who he really is. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, captain_sasquatch said:

Firing Bo wasn't the wrong decision  - hiring Mike Riley was. 

Bingo, Game Set Match.   That is why we are today's fix.  Of course we could take that back to the Frank/BC coach switch as well.  Although I don't think we had to fire Frank when it occurred.  Yes, I understand there were off field issues but Frank was turning it around on the field.  Those other issues could have been addressed behind the scenes perhaps.  Unlike Bo, Frank went on to prove he was a good long term coach at Ohio.