Northwestern: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But...you don't know how it was handled.

Neither of us does, yet aren't you assuming it was handled the only way possible? To me it feels like a situation that could have been handled better and being that Frost has shown a stubborn streak and is far from infallible I'm not inclined to give him benefit of the doubt here. Yant is a true frosh(not an older guy that keeps coming to camp fat) and he doesn't seem to have a bad attitude, have trouble buying that we couldn't get through to him and lay down the law any other way and had to resort to pulling him when he may have helped us. You disagree, that's cool, think we've went back-and-forth on this one enough. Peace. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Neither of us does, yet aren't you assuming it was handled the only way possible? To me it feels like a situation that could have been handled better and being that Frost has shown a stubborn streak and is far from infallible I'm not inclined to give him benefit of the doubt here. Yant is a true frosh(not an older guy that keeps coming to camp fat) and he doesn't seem to have a bad attitude, have trouble buying that we couldn't get through to him and lay down the law any other way and had to resort to pulling him when he may have helped us. You disagree, that's cool, think we've went back-and-forth on this one enough. Peace. 

I'm not assuming anything.  I don't know how it was handled.  I know he came in over weight and out of shape.  Now, we are in the middle of the season and he's contributing at the goal weight.  

You, on the other hand, assume (because you really don't know how it was handled) that it was handled wrong.  

Peace.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Extra exercise can help a guy lose weight, but the best way to lose weight is limit his calorie intake.  Seems like Yant lost control of what he was eating and had to straighten that out over a number of weeks. I don't care how many sprints, stadium steps, or other exercises Yant can do, losing 25 pounds doesn't happen in a short amount of time. 

Did someone say 25 lbs over the summer....

The Program GIF | Gfycat

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Nobody knows for sure.  You seem to think that he was not played over the first few games as punishment.  It seems way more likely that he was not played until he got back down to the proper playing weight and got back in shape.  I imagine it would take awhile to lose nearly 30 pounds.

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nobody knows for sure.  You seem to think that he was not played over the first few games as punishment.  It seems way more likely that he was not played until he got back down to the proper playing weight and got back in shape.  I imagine it would take awhile to lose nearly 30 pounds.

Where did you hear 30 lbs. A quick google search 7 sources say 25 lbs. Is that an exaggeration to fit your narrative or is there a credible source that says 30 lbs? https://www.google.com/search?q=yant+nebraska+overweight&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS831US831&sxsrf=AOaemvLoipt_9HgeT1VK4vHx_X_MKhwORg%3A1633362931147&ei=8yNbYf_CCMTh-gS-uJzQCw&ved=0ahUKEwi_iLOKj7HzAhXEsJ4KHT4cB7oQ4dUDCA4&oq=yant+nebraska+overweight&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAxKBAhBGABQAFgAYIwBaABwAHgAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEA&sclient=gws-wiz

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

he didnt say 30 lbs, he said nearly 30 lbs.

• Plus1 8
2 minutes ago, desertshox said:

he didnt say 30 lbs, he said nearly 30 lbs.

25 isnt nearly 30.  Its as near 20 as it is 30- it's neither- its 25.  Just seeing if he had a source. 

I'm guessing he didn't stay at 25 over until just before the NW game. One would think if those 25 are bad weight and probably so- he loses 15 of it the first month of being back on training table and the tough camp practices. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

25 isnt nearly 30.  Its as near 20 as it is 30- it's neither- its 25.  Just seeing if he had a source. 

I'm guessing he didn't stay at 25 over until just before the NW game. One would think if those 25 are bad weight and probably so- he loses 15 of it the first month of being back on training table and the tough camp practices. 

26 lbs.  Why do you care so much about this nit you want to pick?

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, Devanys Illegit Son said:

What did we learn?  We learned that Frost deserved to loose those early games due to keeping a player like Yant on the bench.  Who cares if he ate a few too many brownies...Let the man run.

Smh...  If things were so simple.  Watch the early games we lost.  Watch the O Line suck and then suck again.  Now watch the NW game again.  Watch the O Line perform better and open some holes... and protect our QB most of the game.  

Some fans seem to think solutions are so easy.  If we had just ______, we would have won.  If things were that simple, you wouldn't see great coaches struggle each week.  

Again, we need the eyeroll reaction back.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Again, this is your opinion that you are trying to present as a fact.  "Nearly" is a relative term.  Just because you want to define it one way doesn't make that the only answer.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

It also doesn't mean that the expectation was that he lose all 25. We just don't know and, really, it doesn't matter.  It could be that Frost wants him at 225, he showed up at 250, Scott is made, says that isn't playing shape, that's 25 more than we want you, so, lets do this, get down under 235 and we can go from there. 18pounds in 8 weeks for an 18 year old with access to diet and exercise professionals isn't a reach at all. 

• Plus1 1

Some people seem to think this is a negative.  I think it's actually a really good thing to have this many guys who can be "the guy" in a given game.  Yeah, I'd love to have Adrian Peterson out there.  But short of that, having several options is a nice place to be.

• Plus1 1