Northwestern: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

If this whole situation is what damaged the season, it seems like Yant is the one that damaged it...not the coaches.

It's their call and like I keep saying there were other options in terms of consequences/discipline that fit the crime well. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

He dropped a lot of weight in a short period of time and got in shape.  How do you think they did that?

Neither of us knows exactly what was done here or how much proper diet came into play(most important thing when it comes to losing fat). Point remains as long as you're making the kid damn sorry he came in overweight the message is sent. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Neither of us knows exactly what was done here or how much proper diet came into play(most important thing when it comes to losing fat). Point remains as long as you're making the kid damn sorry he came in overweight the message is sent. 

So, you don't know how it was handled and how they forced him to get in shape.  But.....it's the coach's fault because they should have done it differently.

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Do you happen to be from Pierce?

That was the only HS game I watched of Pipers senior year, and Pierce did not let him look like a D1 recruit.

No, not from Pierce.  I saw a few of his games.  He has good, but it was his size that made him good not drive.  There were several occasions where he had a clear size advantage but ended up not making much of an impact in the game.  Against my son was just one of those.

41 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Ya having him do stadium steps, sprints, and extra drills till he gets the bad weight off wouldn't help in that regard at all. You are so right. What was I thinking? 

Extra exercise can help a guy lose weight, but the best way to lose weight is limit his calorie intake.  Seems like Yant lost control of what he was eating and had to straighten that out over a number of weeks. I don't care how many sprints, stadium steps, or other exercises Yant can do, losing 25 pounds doesn't happen in a short amount of time. 

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you don't know how it was handled and how they forced him to get in shape.  But.....it's the coach's fault because they should have done it differently.

Do I buy that this was the only possible way to handle the situation? No I don't.  Could I be wrong? Yes, it's in the realm of possibility that the only possible that could work here was pulling Yant, but chances are this was just yet another thing that this regime could have handled better. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Do I buy that this was the only possible way to handle the situation? No I don't.  Could I be wrong? Yes, it's in the realm of possibility that the only possible that could work here was pulling Yant, but chances are this was just yet another thing that this regime could have handled better. 

But...you don't know how it was handled.

• Plus1 5
27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Extra exercise can help a guy lose weight, but the best way to lose weight is limit his calorie intake.  Seems like Yant lost control of what he was eating and had to straighten that out over a number of weeks. I don't care how many sprints, stadium steps, or other exercises Yant can do, losing 25 pounds doesn't happen in a short amount of time. 

To be fair I did note later in this thread that diet is the most important factor in fat-loss. Was just trying to make the point that substantial extra work would help conditioning matters while also addressing the discipline/consequences issue. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Maybe, maybe not.  It's kind of beside the point, though.  The point is the play action stuff and the option stuff doesn't work as well if the defense doesn't have to worry about the runningback. 

Yant is the only one who has shown me anything at all from the position this year.

I've liked what I've seen from Rahmir Johnson. Plays with physicality despite his smaller size. Really throws his body into people as a blocker.

Yant could be huge for us (pun intended). Shiftier than I thought he'd be at his size. Let's see how they look against a better defense this week.

• Plus1 3

I also learned that they actually have a play when our O-line cuts.  It was awesome.  The entire line cut Adrian had clear sight to his number one target (was covered) looked back side and hit Betts.  Wasn't a huge play but with Michigan have a D-line that tries to get upfield in a hurry I would like to see some more cutting to slow them down.  

• Plus1 3