Rivals says these are you new coaches...

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Honest question. What style of offense would O’Brien play? He’s not my top choice, seems like he will be a candidate, but I honesty just have not really followed the teams he has been a part of. Did he recruit well at Penn State given the circumstances he had to deal with there?  Like what is the sales pitch for him?

To the guys pushing him?

1) He's not Scott Frost

2) He's breathing and he's not Scott Frost - so he's guaranteed 9 wins every season (in their minds anyway)

3) He did ok at Penn St.

4) He failed out of the NFL (all the greatest college coaches do!)

5) He probably won't get us to the promised land

6) But he might be a halfway decent stop gap for 3 years

7 Before we fire him and rebuild again to find another coach who will probably get fired 3 years after that.

What people don't realize is that to build something great, you need a strong foundation. Each time you tear down to rebuild, you weaken your foundation. Eventually your just putting new trim on something that imploding in on itself. 

This is where we are at with Husker football. We've stopped the imploding, we're starting to build. Dont freaking dynamite our foundation again. I don't know how many more rebuilds it can take. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

Who knows if O'Brien would stick around, but he'd be a good hire. Not a guaranteed success but nothing besides Saban is. Definitely overperformed at Penn State considering their sanctions and disarray at the time, and did better than most coaches do in the NFL.

Plus, now he's been in Saban's system, which you really can't understate the value of. The proof is in the pudding. Kristobal, Sarkisian, Kiffin, Kirby, Jimbo Fisher, etc. All great coaches that coached under him, and a lot of them weren't good coaches until they coached under him.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

To the guys pushing him?

1) He's not Scott Frost

2) He's breathing and he's not Scott Frost - so he's guaranteed 9 wins every season (in their minds anyway)

3) He did ok at Penn St.

7 Before we fire him and rebuild again to find another coach who will probably get fired 3 years after that.

What people don't realize is that to build something great, you need a strong foundation. Each time you tear down to rebuild, you weaken your foundation. Eventually your just putting new trim on something that imploding in on itself. 

This is where we are at with Husker football. We've stopped the imploding, we're starting to build. Dont freaking dynamite our foundation again. I don't know how many more rebuilds it can take. 

1) He won as many games as Frost has in 4 in 2 years at PSU during the Sandusky mess

2) See #1

3) See #1

4) He won the AFC South 4 times in 6.25 years (he was fired after starting a season 0-4)

5) He will actually be able to build a foundation where we win more than we lose

6) If he leaves for the NFL or a "bigger" gig it will be because he had success here, thus making it a more attractive job for the next hire

7) If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it'd always be Christmas morning. 

What people need to realize is that to build something great, you need a strong foundation. Each time you tear down to rebuild, you weaken your foundation unless your foundation is being built by a toddler who wins less than 40% of his games. 

This is where we are at with Husker football. We've continued to implode, we're pretending to build. You should freaking dynamite the foundation. I don't know how many more rebuilds it can take but at least 1 more. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Who knows if O'Brien would stick around, but he'd be a good hire. Not a guaranteed success but nothing besides Saban is. Definitely overperformed at Penn State considering their sanctions and disarray at the time, and did better than most coaches do in the NFL.

Plus, now he's been in Saban's system, which you really can't understate the value of. The proof is in the pudding. Kristobal, Sarkisian, Kiffin, Kirby, Jimbo Fisher, etc. All great coaches that coached under him, and a lot of them weren't good coaches until they coached under him.

Maybe we can trade Frost for O'brien for 3 years and then get Frost back. Kind of like put him on layaway. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

He did ok at Penn St.

I don't even care that you think BOB isn't a great fit, that's fine. But to act like BOB is a bad coach when won B1G coach of the Year, and 3 different major National Coach of the Year Awards at Penn St, then went on to be voted 2nd place two separate times for NFL Coach of the Year - that's just ignorant. 

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1

8 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

To the guys pushing him?

1) He's not Scott Frost

3) He did ok at Penn St.

Username checks out...big time.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't even care that you think BOB isn't a great fit, that's fine. But to act like BOB is a bad coach when won B1G coach of the Year, and 3 different major National Coach of the Year Awards at Penn St, then went on to be voted 2nd place two separate times for NFL Coach of the Year - that's just ignorant. 

Never said he was a bad coach did I? 

I said he did ok at Penn St. He went 8-4 and 7-5. Given what Penn St. went through, I'd put his results on par with Pelini here. He did ok with the time he had. 

Did he or did he not get fired from the NFL and not rehired by any other NFL team. He failed out of the NFL just as Pelini failed out of power 5 head coach gigs. - He got fired and no one else wanted him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I said he did ok at Penn St. He went 8-4 and 7-5. Given what Penn St. went through, I'd put his results on par with Pelini here. He did ok with the time he had. 

Did he or did he not get fired from the NFL and not rehired by any other NFL team. He failed out of the NFL just as Pelini failed out of power 5 head coach gigs. - He got fired and no one else wanted him. 

National Coach of the Year, B1G coach of the Year = Okay

Guys that have been fired in the NFL and didn't get an NFL Head Coach the Next Year: Belichick, Saban, Carrol, Gruden, Harbaugh, Herm Edwards, Brian Billick, Rex Ryan, Spurrier, Chip Kelly,  ect, ect, ect - Welcome to the NFL. Elite coaches are fired every year. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Who is on the top of your list?   

bTW,  O'Brien isn't on the top of my list but I don't think he'd be a failure here. 

Jamey Chadwell, then Dave Arranda, then Jeff Monken. I think those are as realistic as we will be able to lure here; Matt Campbell is a bit of a pipe dream to me. 

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

National Coach of the Year, B1G coach of the Year = Okay

Guys that have been fired in the NFL and didn't get an NFL Head Coach the Next Year: Belichick, Saban, Carrol, Gruden, Harbaugh, Herm Edwards, Brian Billick, Rex Ryan, Spurrier, Chip Kelly,  ect, ect, ect - Welcome to the NFL. Elite coaches are fired every year. 

Belichick - Got rehired in the NFL

Saban 

Carrol- Got rehired in the NFL 

Gruden- Got rehired in the NFL- destroyed his career

Harbaugh- is not a great coach

Herm Edwards- was rehired in the NFL

BIll O'Brien- not rehired as a head coach in the NFL. 

• Haha 1