Just normal American Utopia...

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I will agree that there are a lot of people who have the capability to do better than they are, but they don't apply themselves and try.  But....as much as it pains me to say it, you and your co-workers are above average with intelligence.  

:D

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There are a lot more hourly worker/day laborer folks in the world than there are aerospace engineers or brain surgeons. I've got a hunch that I'm hanging with the group that resides closer to the mean.

Could be.

I took a look at the article in that tweet, and here's the study setup:

Researchers compared the intelligence of 329 aerospace engineers, 72 neurosurgeons - recruited through the internet from across the UK, mainland Europe, the US and Canada - and 18,257 members of the British public.

The participants were asked to complete 12 tasks online using the Great British Intelligence Test (GBIT) from the Cognitron platform, along with questions related to their gender, age, where they live, and level of experience in their speciality.

The tasks examined aspects of cognition, spanning planning and reasoning, working memory, attention, and emotion-processing abilities.

And the conclusion:

Their findings of their assessments suggest that contrary to belief, there were little difference between the intelligence of neurosurgeons, aerospace engineers and the general population.

I think the takeaway is more that aerospace engineers and neurosurgeons aren't really any smarter in general intelligence. Very likely they excel in specific areas though - like math for aerospace engineers.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

:D

Could be.

I took a look at the article in that tweet, and here's the study setup:

And the conclusion:

I think the takeaway is more that aerospace engineers and neurosurgeons aren't really any smarter in general intelligence. Very likely they excel in specific areas though - like math for aerospace engineers.

Whatever you say smarty pants! :D

• Haha 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, Danny Bateman said:

Interesting question, fun.

One topic I think is generally agreed upon (by voters) that is topical is infrastructure spending. Congress finally looks posed to send an infrastructure bill to Biden's desk now that squabbling is done and it passed the House. I think most Americans who aren't being performatively partisan agree this is needed. It's puzzling Trump never actually addressed this - he talked a lot about it and it's an easy W. I guess it ranked lower in GOP priorities than tax cuts?

But on a national scale, our infrastructure is badly outdated and in need of repair or replacement. It's exciting to think about something like more real investment in broadband - my understanding is ISPs collected government subsidies to improve broadband availability but not delivered their end of the deal. And good internet is so vital to the modern workforce.

I think disagreement just appears to be centered around the size and scope of investment. Which the Senate appears to have legitimately moderated.

I would support. I think it depends on what is being allocated to the spending. Keep it to physical infrastructure and a reasonable amount and it should easily pass. I think one problem is when individual politicians or the party in charge add stuff that doesn’t belong. Keep it simple, get a win and then go for more with another bill. 

I'm curious if there is agreement on both sides about the value or danger of corporations and churches being able to be politically engaged ... financially in particular.  I think if you get the money out of it we'd see more non partisan votes and the chances of representatives voting for their constituents vs their money bag holders would be more likely.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Did she campaign on ending the filibuster?

I doubt it.  But I’d assume the AZ Dems were for the passing of the voting bill.  Which some could say was killed because of her and Munchin.

My point was, and still is, that one censure was based on policy while the other was anything but.  It was never meant to defend either.

11 hours ago, funhusker said:

I doubt it.  But I’d assume the AZ Dems were for the passing of the voting bill.  Which some could say was killed because of her and Munchin.

My point was, and still is, that one censure was based on policy while the other was anything but.  It was never meant to defend either.

Both situations are bull s#!t party politics. If you don’t do exactly what the party wants or you are in trouble.

Its BS. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Both situations are bull s#!t party politics. If you don’t do shag then party wants, you’re in trouble.  

Its BS. 

Pizza Hut and McDonalds will both make you fat.  But they are not the same restaurant.

Yes, censure is bulls#!t.  But these two bulls#!t censures we’re not the same.