the onside kick was stupid

The on-site kick was a calculated gamble. I agree it was stupid, but, the possession prior Northwestern was gashing us and would have likely scored without the forced fumble at the end of a what, 50 yard running play? Frost thought he could catch them napping and keep the ball out of their offenses' hands. I get it, still not what I'd have done, but I get it. 

That said, I think it's pretty obvious now, why only 9 Blackshirts were handed out. You could argue it should have been fewer.

Grant makes an incredible run for a long TD. 

Our team celebrates, and we are up by 2 scores. Momentum is swung into our favor. 

28-17

All the pressure is now on Northwestern.

Who on earth thinks you need a trick play on a kickoff after that  - as the best decision for the team? 

Onside kick success rate is less than 20% at best, and usually closer to 10%.

Northwestern got the ball and regained momentum from it.  Scored from a short field rather easily.  28-24

You literally took the pressure off Northwestern with that decision.

The moment did not call for onside kick Attempt.  I'm sorry, but that was the Dumbest decision that I ever saw.  

Immediately I thought...."No wonder. Here we go again"

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

One of the single stupidest decisions I've ever seen.

Just quit now Scott..... you've fixed nothing, man.

How does Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and even Purdue win 9 games or more?   Not by making a decision like that, for sure.  

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on this. It gave northwestern 30 yards in field position. They gained well over 500 yards on our defense. Do you really think we stuff them on that drive if they start at the 25?

Understanding percentages and pitfalls might help with that.

• Plus1 3

So I'm sure this will get accused of being a homer comment but...

I was talking to a friend this evening and he asked what I thought of the onside kick.  I said it pretty much had to be Frost's call unless there was some sort of automatic on.  He said there was some shot of Busch on one of the replays and his expression indicated that it was a shock to him.  So my friend was wondering if it wasn't really called that way and Frost was just falling on the sword instead of blaming the player.

Not that that would make it any better.  But I am curious to try to find that video.

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I was talking to a friend this evening and he asked what I thought of the onside kick.  I said it pretty much had to be Frost's call unless there was some sort of automatic on.  He said there was some shot of Busch on one of the replays and his expression indicated that it was a shock to him.  So my friend was wondering if it wasn't really called that way and Frost was just falling on the sword instead of blaming the player.

Not that that would make it any better.  But I am curious to try to find that video.

Like either Buschini did it on his own or there was a communication misfire? 

im open to anything to excuse SF of pure stupidity.  But isn’t he known for openly blaming players? 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't have the video from Youtube but have watched it multiple times on replay on Youtube TV.  Busch seemed shocked.  

I slowed it to .25x speed and he was confounded in every frame for about four seconds the camera was on them.  At the end he says "what are you doing?"

• Plus1 2

HCSF does a good job owning up to it.  He actually has a good post game press here.  Also at 8:50 mark, Vokolek and Casey address the media as well.  Towards the end, Nelson joins in.

(Nelson sounds like he just had a pack of smokes and buried his dog. I would expect more from a "captain" - win or lose)

Just now, DefenderAO said:

I don't have the video from Youtube but have watched it multiple times on replay on Youtube TV.  Busch seemed shocked.  

I slowed it to .25x speed and he was confounded in every frame for about four seconds the camera was on them.  At the end he says "what are you doing?"

On who?