Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Why wouldn't it???? Lets just say you hire Urban Meyer you don't think national kids even if they don't have a relationship with him right now wouldn't get excited to go play for him. Kids know who he is and kids want to play for winner's.

I don’t think Urban could technically go out and recruit as NU’s “2023 head coach” that’s why. 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Coaching hires are always a risk. Alabama had Bear Bryant, then didn’t do squat for 15 years, and then won a natty with Gene Stallings (who was a failed NFL coach). Then after Stallings left Bama went thru multiple coaches before landing Saban (another failed NFL coach). It’s not an exact science, but thinking about a new coach is exciting. 

No it wouldn’t. 

You don’t think that if it was known tomorrow that urban was our coach next year,  it would make a difference in our recruiting? I disagree.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Coaching hires are always a risk. Alabama had Bear Bryant, then didn’t do squat for 15 years, and then won a natty with Gene Stallings (who was a failed NFL coach). Then after Stallings left Bama went thru multiple coaches before landing Saban (another failed NFL coach). It’s not an exact science, but thinking about a new coach is exciting. 

No it wouldn’t. 

:dunno Yes of course it would. The interim staff would finish up Black Friday and then you are telling me kid’s wouldn’t listen to a top coach in the country and how he plans to build back Nebraska as he offers them?  Can you imagine the number of offers that would be flying out at that time. That’s what a home run hire gets you vs a meh hire who may pull an unexpected recruit or two.

On the topic or Urby...

I don't know if this is legit, but Dan Patrick claims Urby is interested in Nebraska and Arizona State.

I think this presents a unique path for Urby.  Does he want to have fun in the sun, having the ASU female student base grind on him in the desert paradise, or does he want to team up with Trev and be the guy known to fix Husker football and also clean up his image?  Honestly, it's up to Urby what he wants most out of life right now.

Now..we don't know if Urby is even realistic.  This is taking Dan Patrick at face value.  Taken at face value, Urby has two clear paths and a life decision at stake as well.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Urban wouldn’t be able to go out an recruit kids unless he was officially named head coach, which wouldn’t happen until the end of the season.  

They could get the deal done now, and it would be “known” he is not under contract is my point. He could hit the recruiting trail in November and have his coaching hires in mid. It would be a huge advantage 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Urban wouldn’t be able to go out an recruit kids unless he was officially named head coach, which wouldn’t happen until the end of the season.  

This is the same thing if we have to wait for a coach to finish his bowl game or whatever. We better be recruiting right after the last game and if it was current out of work Meyer doing it then that would be earlier than someone currently coaching and we’d get our best class in a long time. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Why wouldn't it???? Lets just say you hire Urban Meyer you don't think national kids even if they don't have a relationship with him right now wouldn't get excited to go play for him. Kids know who he is and kids want to play for winner's.

Huh?  I am not 100% against Urban, but he’s a long-shot. He brings a lot of baggage that I’m not sure Trev wants to deal with. Trev wants to bring in a coach who’s going to be fully dedicated to the job, and Urban was not that at Jacksonville, and left 2 jobs pretty suddenly in college. Urban is a short-term idea. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Florida was a mess when he got there. He built a winning program at Miss State, which had always sucked before he got there. Yeah, he had a future NFL QB in Dak, but Mullen got him there and used him.

There are question marks with every coach, that’s why they are available. There is no such thing as a sure home run hire. 

Im sorry but Bob Stoops would be a sure fire hire. Oklahoma and Nebraska territories are pretty much the same. If it is my understanding he got ran out from that program bc Oklahoma didn't want to lose Lincoln Riley. Now say what you want about Lincoln Riley but Bob Stoops never had a losing season that I can remember and regardless if they lost high caliber bowl games they were always in the picture. How Oklahoma treated him and then asking him to come back and coach one game and doing that really speaks volumes if his character. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, chamrocck said:

This is the same thing if we have to wait for a coach to finish his bowl game or whatever. We better be recruiting right after the last game and if it was current out of work Meyer doing it then that would be earlier than someone currently coaching and we’d get our best class in a long time. 

Trev can go out and hire a number of coaches who are in the college game and would be able to join NU in early December. Even Mullen, Campbell, or Fickell would jump to NU immediately. 

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im sorry but Bob Stoops would be a sure fire hire. Oklahoma and Nebraska territories are pretty much the same. If it is my understanding he got ran out from that program bc Oklahoma didn't want to lose Lincoln Riley. Now say what you want about Lincoln Riley but Bob Stoops never had a losing season that I can remember and regardless if they lost high caliber bowl games they were always in the picture. How Oklahoma treated him and then asking him to come back and coach one game and doing that really speaks volumes if his character. 

Stoops hasn’t coached college football for over 5 years. He wouldn’t be a home run hire, and would have plenty of risks. There is no such thing as a sure-thing. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Trev can go out and hire a number of coaches who are in the college game and would be able to join NU in early December. Even Mullen, Campbell, or Fickell would jump to NU immediately. 

Those are names to look at but none of them are pulling in the class Urb would. 

• Plus1 1