Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

One positive about MJ's time as IHC was that only one guy transferred out after Frost was fired.  I think the players really respect him and I think if he is retained that we will have very few transfers out of the program.  We retain MJ, MJ retains the players.  But, it is all in the HC hands ultimately.  

Do we want to retain a ton of them?

• TBH 1

1 minute ago, The Whale said:

If he gets hired here, yes, I believe Rhule will end up somewhere between Frost and Riley record-wise.

Based off of what watching him coach in the NFL or his teams at Temple or Baylor? Are you basing it off that he doesn't necessarily recruit to the highest of levels for your standard? What if he comes here and in 2 years he has us contending or better or maybe next year?

Maybe we give him a chance to change the trajectory? I don't know. Maybe we aren't the winning program we all want us to be and need help. If Trev likes him, don't we owe it to the program to support that? I know I don't have any say in the matter, or authority to negotiate contracts on behalf of DONU. I have to trust TA. I choose to do so, because I want us to win games again. And be competitive when we don't.

• Plus1 2

Looking more like a Monday 11am to 1pm window announcement with the NFL lawyers being involved.  Also better to announce something big on a Monday which does not have a lot of other sports news to compete with. 

IMO the only other hire that would be better than Matt would of been Luke Fickell, but he is not going to leave his home state of Ohio.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
3 minutes ago, Rhuletheday said:

Looking more like a Monday 11am to 1pm window announcement with the NFL lawyers being involved.  Also better to announce something big on a Monday which does not have a lot of other sports news to compete with. 

IMO the only other hire that would be better than Matt would of been Luke Fickell, but he is not going to leave his home state of Ohio.

Agree 100%

6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

It's a shame I can't find what page someone posted about Mike Farrell and the coaching firm that Nebraska is using. Think Mike Farrell said something like the search firm Nebraska is using flip's coaches. If it is Matt Rhule, how did Matt Rhule name come into play and why didn't the search firm so called flip a head coach? Did we even need the search firm?

Others can respond, but here are my thoughts

• If you are saying this specific search firm had a history of flipping a coach's interest from one school to another (Lincoln Riley), and that didn't happen this time, then why did we hire that search firm?  I think Riley's situation was more of an outlier than what usually happens.  Riley had other reasons to be interested in leaving Oklahoma, but it still rarely happens in hiring football coaches.  Yes, Brian Kelly went from Notre Dame to LSU, but I don't know what the process was there.
  • Rhule's name came into play as soon as he was fired from Carolina 6 weeks ago.  Even coming into this season, he was the one NFL coach who if he was fired, he could be in play for a lot of college jobs.  The search firm probably reached out to gauge his interest, which was probably low initially, as everyone was saying Rhule wanted to sit out from coaching for a year or two, given his contract with Carolina.  However, that search firm can continue to stay in contact with potential candidates as the process continues.
  • I think the search firm was valuable to serve as a go-between for Trev and candidates.  They are acting like any other recruiting firm used across the country for many types of jobs.  Trev is busy supporting the rest of the athletic programs at NU, he didn't have the luxury of putting all of his time and effort into the administration side of the hiring process.

Whoever it is can’t do much worse than what we have. I don’t feel excited or not excited for rhule. Any change at this point brings hope. I was hoping for deion, simply because he can get recruits. Nobody else took the #1 recruit from saban to play in a league that drastically reduces your chances of the nfl. But that could be a bust too and we’d look like we’re just chasing big names anymore 

11 hours ago, TGHusker said:

One positive about MJ's time as IHC was that only one guy transferred out after Frost was fired.  I think the players really respect him and I think if he is retained that we will have very few transfers out of the program.  We retain MJ, MJ retains the players.  But, it is all in the HC hands ultimately.  

This is the truth.  MJ is loved by the players and the administration.  

10 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

We have been pulling good players out of Texas, Florida and California. We are never going to get more of those recruits than the bigger home state schools but its false to say that we cant pull kids out of those states.  We pulled good players from Florida mostly because of Frost and his staff connections down there. Same thing Mickey did from Louisiana and Riley and his connections to Cali. If we have a head coach with connections to Texas we can absolutely pull a good amount of 4 stars out of there. 

If the rumors are true that Rhule might get Robinson to come here from TA&M, that alone is worth a handful of 4*’s.  He was recruiter of the year in the SEC last year and is looking to repeat this year also. 

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Rhuletheday said:

For those saying Mickey should be given the HC job at Nebraska (still can't believe they are out there) consider the following:

No experience being HC at any major level.

Questionable leadership ability allowing Whipple to remain on staff after several games blundered away by our offense. 

Questionable end of game management skills and game time management skills. 

Has no idea that on a windy day you want the wind at your back in the 4th quarter.

Allowed Whipple to keep Purdy in when it was clear he is not an FBS level QB which lost us games.

Mickey is an amazing WR coach and recruiter.  Any HC would love to have him around and hopefully he is retained by Matt.  But to make him the HC would be a monumental blunder and one we can ill afford given our predicament. 

I hate that no one can ever learn from past mistakes.