POLL: Scott Frost's remaining Time at NU

How much Time Does Frost Have Left?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Reading a lot of these and not sure anyone pointed out that it’s going to come down to wins and losses when/if he gets fired.  If he wins he shows progress and keeps his job. If he loses he is gone in October and can’t believe people saying let him have the whole year even if still losing in October!  What benefit would there be to retain him until end of year except a long drawn out painful death everyone knows is coming.

TA had better not screw around if the hammer needs to fall in October. There is absolute benefit to not waiting. You get first crack at the guy you want. Why wait for anything that could happen? What if you target a guy and have him but then later another job unexpectedly becomes open in college or the NFL and your guy is suddenly lost now to a competitor? Recruiting does not do well with uncertainty. You get your guy in and give recruits clarity.  You also get to see how the team performs under an interim and leadership of an interim to see if you want to retain him on next staff.

I question this. Most of the coaches that everyone wants are currently coaching. we wouldn't know if "got" him until after the season (most likely bowl season as well). Even then, they could leave for someplace else if they wanted. It's happened before with some coaches. Get hired at one school, then hired by a different school, and never actually coach at the first school. I'm not saying that it happens often, but it has happened.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, ndobney said:

I don't think the program ever comes back it's just to far gone.

There are many programs that are "too far gone" and some that never were that still manage to put together good stretches of relevance with good coaches who were largely unknown until they turned the program around.

No team just hangs out at 3-9 and accepts its fate.

Well, maybe Kansas. 

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, walksalone said:

But what's that different going to be?

Unless some top tier coach is just in wings, waiting to walk through the door, were in for more of the same...

Frost is a bottom 5 power 5 coach, an average coach will have better results and have us bowling every year if we can maintain top 25 recruiting, which I think we can with "NIL"

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There are many programs that are "too far gone" and some that never were that still manage to put together good stretches of relevance with good coaches who were largely unknown until they turned the program around.

No team just hangs out at 3-9 and accepts its fate.

Well, maybe Kansas. 

Yes, even KSU hired Bill Synder.   They were the poster child of a pathetic program.  Now they are consistently respectable.  

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, even KSU hired Bill Synder.   They were the poster child of a pathetic program.  Now they are consistently respectable.  

Or just stay with Big 10 examples. Purdue and Minnesota came from the cellar to be relevant (and favored over Nebraska). Maryland hired a new coach who took them from 3-9 to 7-6 and a bowl win in two seasons. Indiana's Tom Allen has two more bowl appearances than Scott Frost in the last four seasons. Even Rutgers has had its moments, and with Schiano back they have reason to be more optimistic than folks in Lincoln. Illinois hasn't had much to crow about, outside of beating Nebraska.

Most of these schools are cold weather, small midwestern towns without traditional recruiting advantages or recent legacies, with lesser facilities, fanbases, budgets and opportunities for non-salaried coaching income. 

It's really not entitlement or arrogance to ask that Nebraska field a better team than the worst teams in our conference, although it is self-loathing to think a good coach and skill players would never come here. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

People that don't think NU can ever be good again are weird.  

NU will be fine.  Frost will finish out the season.  There will be a new coach.

If that coach doesn't work, they will hire a new one.  You do that until it works.

Bama went...Stallings, Dubose (I think), Shula, Mike Price was in there!  You fire until you get it right.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Minnesota came from the cellar to be relevant

I just looked up Tim Brewster and his final record at Minnesota was...  wait for it...  15-30.  He lasted 3.5 seasons.  He also made it to bowls in years 2 and 3.

Since Brewster, Minnesota has gone to 8 bowls and won 8+ games 5 times in 11 years with 3 different head coaches (2 if you count Claeys as an extension of Kill).  The 3 years they didn't go to bowls were Kill's 1st year, Fleck's 1st year, and the Covid year.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If that coach doesn't work, they will hire a new one.  You do that until it works.

Exactly.  I don't get the keeping guys for the sake of keeping them.

I think Husker fans are afraid of coaching changes since TO was here for 25 years and had most of his staff around for 15+ years.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe SF will win out the season and we'll all realize how wrong we've been and start editing our disparaging posts.  Plus maybe prices of everything will gradually go down.  The Russians will back out of Ukraine.  Former "president" Trump will apologize to the nation and the world and drop out of the public eye forever.  My cat will stop coughing up hairballs when we have company over for dinner.  Kids will aspire to be machinists, builders, and will look upon older generations with respect and strive to learn from them and help them when ever they can.  Mexican cartels will stop what they're doing and turn themselves in.  Joe Biden will ingest copious amounts of Ex-Lax and in a few days start making sense.  Drought areas will get slow steady rainfall.  Flooding areas will dry up and normalize. 

Would you praying types mind getting going on that stuff?   :D

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I bet Oklahoma fans in the ten years of Gary Gibbs/Howard Schnellenberger/John Blake felt the same way.

Bob Stoops turned it around overnight. 

Gibbs was 44-23-2 over 6 years (and had scholarship limitations for 4 of his 6 years)

Howard was 5-5-1 in his 1 year

Blake was 12-22 over 3 years

Then Stoops takes charge and over the next 18 years they win 10+ games 14 times.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Or just stay with Big 10 examples. Purdue and Minnesota came from the cellar to be relevant (and favored over Nebraska). Maryland hired a new coach who took them from 3-9 to 7-6 and a bowl win in two seasons. Indiana's Tom Allen has two more bowl appearances than Scott Frost in the last four seasons. Even Rutgers has had its moments, and with Schiano back they have reason to be more optimistic than folks in Lincoln. Illinois hasn't had much to crow about, outside of beating Nebraska.

Most of these schools are cold weather, small midwestern towns without traditional recruiting advantages or recent legacies, with lesser facilities, fanbases, budgets and opportunities for non-salaried coaching income. 

It's really not entitlement or arrogance to ask that Nebraska field a better team than the worst teams in our conference, although it is self-loathing to think a good coach and skill players would never come here. 

:yeah When you compare Nebraska with all of those schools and the resources we have in comparison, there is no reason at all that we can't turn this around and be a success.  If a certain Univ President and a couple of  ADs wt a chips on their shoulder would have gotten out of the way, this would have been fixed a long time ago.  I think Trev is the right AD and Green & Carter are  the right University leaders  to get it done.  

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

:yeah When you compare Nebraska with all of those schools and the resources we have in comparison, there is no reason at all that we can't turn this around and be a success.  If a certain Univ President and a couple of  ADs wt a chips on their shoulder would have gotten out of the way, this would have been fixed a long time ago.  I think Trev is the right AD and Green & Carter are  the right University leaders  to get it done.  

Agreed. Top-down this is probably the best shape the program (not the team) has been in since Perlman was hired. COVID put holes in a lot of P5 budgets and Moos did his best to do the same here but we're still on really solid ground as a program.

Random thought I had in the middle of the night.

If Trev doesn't want Scott around next year, I wonder if he would pull the plug after the Purdue game in October even if we are 4-3.  You don't want to give Frost a chance to go on a run in November and get to 7 or 8 wins and make it harder to get the backing to fire him.

Texas Tech did this last year.  They fired their coach mid-season when they were 5-3 because the AD wanted to hire someone new and didn't want to risk him getting to 7 or 8 wins.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Random thought I had in the middle of the night.

If Trev doesn't want Scott around next year, I wonder if he would pull the plug after the Purdue game in October even if we are 4-3.  You don't want to give Frost a chance to go on a run in November and get to 7 or 8 wins and make it harder to get the backing to fire him.

Texas Tech did this last year.  They fired their coach mid-season when they were 5-3 because the AD wanted to hire someone new and didn't want to risk him getting to 7 or 8 wins.

I think a mid season change is very possible but it will hinge on record imo.

October 2nd - need to be 3+ wins

October 30th - need to be 5+ wins

Anything under those numbers and I'm betting on a midseason change.  If they are at 5 with 4 games to go, my opinion is Trev will ride the season out and make his decision public November 28th.