Georgia Southern Week Pressers

Mavric

Mathis said some of the issues Nebraska had been having with its run defense were guys getting out of their gaps too quickly. He said running backs have been patient to let holes develop, and as soon as a defender leaves his gap, they hit that opening.

Mathis said the key was getting everyone to focus on their jobs and not having guys try to do too much.

HOL

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

That is fair, but TOP most definitely makes a difference when it comes to gassing your defense.  When we appear to already have conditioning issues, that only exacerbates the problem.  Against teams like Minnesota, Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Iowa etc that is going to be an issue come the fourth quarter. 

Good points.

It's a bigger factor when you generally have s**tty skill position players - like Iowa has these past couple years. Your only hope (aside from having a lights out defense) is getting a few first downs before you punt or at least get into long field goal position and put it through the uprights and wear the defense out.

I know you're really football-smart and I don't have to explain this to you at all...But like, these things aren't prerequisites to winning a football game. I think we have the weapons on offense to score early & often and on big plays, but our QB needs to really lay the ball in there accurately when receivers are running wide open.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Good points.

It's a bigger factor when you generally have s**tty skill position players - like Iowa has these past couple years. Your only hope (aside from having a lights out defense) is getting a few first downs before you punt or at least get into long field goal position and put it through the uprights and wear the defense out.

I know you're really football-smart and I don't have to explain this to you at all...But like, these things aren't prerequisites to winning a football game. I think we have the weapons on offense to score early & often and on big plays, but our QB needs to really lay the ball in there accurately when receivers are running wide open.

And our coaches need to not panic when the big play doesn't happen every possession. Patience is a virtue. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And our coaches need to not panic when the big play doesn't happen every possession. Patience is a virtue. 

Yeah...I really thought we'd maybe go to some bubble screens to try to quickly get outside of their blitzes. I kept looking for that play to show up a bit.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Yeah...I really thought we'd maybe go to some bubble screens to try to quickly get outside of their blitzes. I kept looking for that play to show up a bit.

We don't run bubble screens (QB throws horizontal to WR behind the LOS - with blockers out in front). 

Although it helped Taylor Martinez complete 7 out of 8 passes every game behind the LOS (major completion % yo! It adds up during the year)...  we run a strict quick screen (1 on 1 opportunity) with the WR breaking forward.

I agree that it looks good and has been successful, and should be called 2X a quarter like TMagic got.  It is a good play so far this year.  :)

And honestly it's probably a good thing to just get Boerkircher a bunch of experience for down the stretch of the season.

I'm just really hoping that this week in practice our offensive staff focuses on smashmouth running. Who cares if it's obvious to Georgia Southern that we might hand the ball off to Grant 25 times?

Take your most productive player with the hot hand and feed him the ball until it doesn't work. Don't overthink Georgia Southern, Scott...

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

And honestly it's probably a good thing to just get Boerkircher a bunch of experience for down the stretch of the season.

I'm just really hoping that this week in practice our offensive staff focuses on smashmouth running. Who cares if it's obvious to Georgia Southern that we might hand the ball off to Grant 25 times?

Take your most productive player with the hot hand and feed him the ball until it doesn't work. Don't overthink Georgiat Southern, Scott...

Exactly throw a pass every now and then but run the ball the majority and make their defense gassed. Game plan is so easy even a cave man could think of it!!!

Georgia Southern fan checking in. None of us are sure what to expect on Saturday.

Some are freaking out about looking pretty bad for looking shaky for most of the first half vs. Morgan State and don't want to hand out any credit for a much better second half and the fact that the defense didn't allow a point.

Some are conveniently ignoring our own ongoing questions about how well our D-line or new offense can perform and instead directing manic energy towards Nebraska's own fanbase angst.

Personally, I think it's all about how the line play goes. If GS can keep Vantrease comfy in the pocket, we have some guys who can make big plays if given the chance to run around in space. Similarly, it seemed like Northwestern turned the tide when they were able to at least make Thompson roll out or throw without his feet totally under him. Our secondary is our strength and almost all of our DBs are effective vs. both the run and the pass, but it will go a long way towards our chances if the front 6-7 can keep the run game in check and allow our secondary to keep passes in front of them and bide their time for the chance to make impact plays.

6 minutes ago, CC Eagle said:

Georgia Southern fan checking in. None of us are sure what to expect on Saturday.

Some are freaking out about looking pretty bad for looking shaky for most of the first half vs. Morgan State and don't want to hand out any credit for a much better second half and the fact that the defense didn't allow a point.

Some are conveniently ignoring our own ongoing questions about how well our D-line or new offense can perform and instead directing manic energy towards Nebraska's own fanbase angst.

Personally, I think it's all about how the line play goes. If GS can keep Vantrease comfy in the pocket, we have some guys who can make big plays if given the chance to run around in space. Similarly, it seemed like Northwestern turned the tide when they were able to at least make Thompson roll out or throw without his feet totally under him. Our secondary is our strength and almost all of our DBs are effective vs. both the run and the pass, but it will go a long way towards our chances if the front 6-7 can keep the run game in check and allow our secondary to keep passes in front of them and bide their time for the chance to make impact plays.

Weren't you guys at triple option offense forever?  Do the fans miss that or do you still run it?

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Weren't you guys at triple option offense forever?  Do the fans miss that or do you still run it?

Not forever but our opponents thought so!   About 1981 to 2003.  
We have two groups of fans nowadays.  We call them ‘run the dam ball’ guys and ‘pass the dam ball’ guys.  The past 20 years, the pass the ballers have got their way.  The wins have declined steadily.  

Ironically, Scott Frost was a great QB that led a great running offense to lots of wins and our last title.  But he’s the most ‘pass the dam ball’ we’ve ever had.  Hence, he’s our losingest coach too!   Some disagree as to the cause-effect on this but as a run the ball guy, it’s not even debatable.   

So, you can expect NU to sling the ball around aplenty.  However, lurking somewhere in the old dusty playbooks in Lincoln are some very lethal running plays and a scheme that can tear up a lesser team.  We can’t remember that happening in a decade but it can happen.

It is impossible to guess if or when it will again happen but someday soon I hope!  

• Haha 1