Georgia Southern Week Pressers

Mavric

24 minutes ago, lo country said:

I don't recall teams rotating more than DL.  Other than different packages.  But I could be wrong.  

Just out of curiosity, I looked at Iowa as they had a similar game.

They had five guys play all 58 defensive snaps (we also had five play all 70 snaps).  Both teams had two CBs, two Safeties and an ILB play every snap.  Their other ILB played the next-most snaps.

So I'd say it's not that uncommon.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't have any specifics because I don't follow anyone else closely enough.

But both Ruud and Fisher spoke specifically about wanting to rotate more guys (at least at Safety in Fisher's case).  I realize that's easier said than done.

I don't necessarily have an issue with not rotating.  But I also don't think it would be a terrible idea to get at lase the #3 guy a series or two in each half to get some experience and give the other guys a break.

Agree 100%.  Especially when ND was eating the clock on O.  Guys were not getting much of a break with their TOP.  Plus as you mentioned, get some younger guys some reps.  One thing that always happens is injuries.  Get guys experience when we can.  Guys might be playing sooner than the staff wants with injuries.  Saw Sanford listed as the co-#2 for this week.  Unsure how much playing time other than ST he has.  Did make a great open field tackle against ND.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Do other teams rotate defensive players not on the line?  Not really.  People saying we need to rotate safeties are on Crack.  Nobody does that. 

Do other teams typically have 10 minutes time of possession compared to their opponents 20 minutes in one half of football?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Farms said:

Do other teams typically have 10 minutes time of possession compared to their opponents 20 minutes in one half of football?

I used to think time of possession was a really meaningful stat in football and then some people much smarter than me helped me see how it can be pretty misleading.

It's an alternating possession sport; you always get the ball and a chance to score after your opponent does. The only stats that really equate out to success are your points scored & offensive yards (in that order).

If you're moving the ball up & down the field it really doesn't matter all that much about the time period in which you do it.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I used to think time of possession was a really meaningful stat in football and then some people much smarter than me helped me see how it can be pretty misleading.

It's an alternating possession sport; you always get the ball and a chance to score after your opponent does. The only stats that really equate out to success are your points scored & offensive yards (in that order).

If you're moving the ball up & down the field it really doesn't matter all that much about the time period in which you do it.

That is fair, but TOP most definitely makes a difference when it comes to gassing your defense.  When we appear to already have conditioning issues, that only exacerbates the problem.  Against teams like Minnesota, Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Iowa etc that is going to be an issue come the fourth quarter. 

• Plus1 1