Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

1 hour ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I'm sure the Houston board of tourism is working on an ad campaign with some of these sound bites. "Come to Houston, but don't leave your hotel."

Interesting takeaway from a really strong extemporaneous speech that goes a lot deeper than football. This is culture change on another level. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
22 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

How so?

Young black guys, many of them teenagers, coming from marginalized communities where they are already football heroes, stepping into an ever brighter spotlight at Jackson State, where they have the choice of staying loyal to the gang-bangers, hangers-on, and opportunists swirling around them, or taking the advice of Deion Sanders and fellow Black coaches who've seen too many futures squandered through reckless associations and stupid mistakes. Sanders is drawing the line: they have to cut ties, commit to a new and higher standard in their personal lives, and do it as a team. 

It's not clear what exactly went down in Houston, but it sounds like a death was involved. Wasn't shoplifting or barfight stuff. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Young black guys, many of them teenagers, coming from marginalized communities where they are already football heroes, stepping into an ever brighter spotlight at Jackson State, where they have the choice of staying loyal to the gang-bangers, hangers-on, and opportunists swirling around them, or taking the advice of Deion Sanders and fellow Black coaches who've seen too many futures squandered through reckless associations and stupid mistakes. Sanders is drawing the line: they have to cut ties, commit to a new and higher standard in their personal lives, and do it as a team. 

It's not clear what exactly went down in Houston, but it sounds like a death was involved. Wasn't shoplifting or barfight stuff. 

Please continue ....

#love the way you lie from Artist Quotes

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's all I got unless you have a specific question or alternative POV. 

Your words in your post don't sit well with me.  The gif I added felt like what I interpreted coming from you (what it feels like).

"Football heroes, gang-bangers, Deion Sanders..."  

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

47 minutes ago, admo said:

Your words in your post don't sit well with me.  The gif I added felt like what I interpreted coming from you (what it feels like).

Guy Chamberlain's post is spot on for the spirit of Sander's message.

This message was Deion using his influence to better his players as part of society.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, admo said:

What I meant was what Sanders appeared to be saying: warning his players to distance themselves from the dangerous influences in their lives, cause it can all change in an instant, which apparently is what happened in a local incident. Deion Sanders & coaches would be speaking from experience. Thought it was a pretty powerful speech myself, and I was responding to a poster who thought it was some kind of Houston dis. 

Curious what didn't sit well with you. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Slow yer Roll said:

Isn't  that pretty standard in the coaching world?

If we played a 100 speeches from a hundred coaches,  would there be a nickels worth of difference?

Going out on a limb and saying a Black coach brings a little more skin to the game in any "watch your a$$" speech to young players. 

But yes, absolutely, we should immediately and forcefully discredit anything uttered by Deion Sanders because......well maybe you can fill me in on that part. 

Hey, didn't they banish this Deion thread to the hinterlands of Other Sports so the good people of HuskerBoard never had to see his name? 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Going out on a limb and saying a Black coach brings a little more skin to the game in any "watch your a$$" speech to young players. 

But yes, absolutely, we should immediately and forcefully discredit anything uttered by Deion Sanders because......well maybe you can fill me in on that part. 

Hey, didn't they banish this Deion thread to the hinterlands of Other Sports so the good people of HuskerBoard never had to see his name? 

I thought your explanatory post was spot on. But I still want Deion banished to the hinterlands of HB because A) CU (need I say more) and B) because of the handful of local jackwagons that are too eager to sing his praises at every chance. He’s a good coach, good recruiter and probably does a lot of good things to help young black players but I can’t get over the flamboyant and self serving side of it.

• Plus1 4
18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I thought your explanatory post was spot on. But I still want Deion banished to the hinterlands of HB because A) CU (need I say more) and B) because of the handful of local jackwagons that are too eager to sing his praises at every chance. He’s a good coach, good recruiter and probably does a lot of good things to help young black players but I can’t get over the flamboyant and self serving side of it.

Well to be honest I mostly started posting Deion Sanders stuff when a bunch of local jackwagons made it clear that they hadn't followed his career since Neon Deion and didn't understand that he was, in fact, a legitimate D5 coaching candidate with a broad base of endorsements. They just hated him and called anyone passing Deion speculation along delusional fanboys. I thought the Deion haters were acting even weirder than the Deion lovers. Now they're following the action here? 

Here's how it worked for me:

I hated Deion Sanders when he played for the Atlanta Falcons. Hated that little hand behind the head ballet dance into the end zone. Hated all the bling and swagger that came with him.

Then Deion came to my San Francisco 49ers for the 1994 season. Still kinda hated him, but the f#&%er was good. We won the Super Bowl and I believe he was Defensive Player of the Year. He bolted the next year, which resolved my conflict. 

A couple years ago my son is into Madden and we start revisiting NFL greats on YouTube. I teach him about Gayle Sayers, Jim Brown and d!(k Butkus. He shows me why Deion Sanders really was one of the best at his position. He's right. You can't coach speed and Deion had it. But he also knew how to use it.

Then a couple months ago people start talking about Deion Sanders as head coaching material. I honestly hadn't followed his career at all. Surprised to see him in the coaching trenches, surprised to learn of his success at Jackson State, surprised to hear him talk about his coaching philosophy. He's now the anti-Deion, saying all the tough love team-oriented, smashmouth things you'd want to hear from a Nebraska coach. A lot of smart football folks also had a lot of good things to say about him.

So I changed my mind.

Still hate Colorado, though. 

• Plus1 2