*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frankly, nobody knew much about the team except what has been previously.  The only thing we had was old film on transfers and high school highlights.  

Nobody actually watched the practices except a spring game. Those are staged practices with most or all the roster playing partial games with mix and match line ups etc.  

Minnesota was our first look.  It was a funky first half (only 3 possessions and one started from our own 1 yard line to begin the season).  
It was Minny’s first game but not a new system or staff etc.  They were favored and playing at home.  They are an 8-9 win program. We are a 3-4 win program.   Considering all the circumstances, I think a 3 point loss with 4 turnovers and plenty of costly penalties is a net positive. 

Colorado is different.  It is game 2 but they have dramatically changed a half dozen key players that are BIG difference makers.  Another road game with a fired up team and crowd, and plenty of questions to yet be answered.   They beat us multiple times recently.  Nobody respects or fears us.  This Nebraska squad is still at best a major rebuild and the bumps and skips will continue.   If Colorado is suddenly a top 15 team, it will be a major challenge.   

We have avoided major injuries to key spots but WRs are still a serious concern. Talent abounds but they are mostly freshmen.  This game could be wide open (good or bad) for us.  But this team will improve if they don’t get discouraged too quickly.  We need 6 games or so to start gelling.  

Why is Nebraska plagued with the inability to get Freshman on the field at multiple positions? I don’t hear other programs using this crutch language. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Why is Nebraska plagued with the inability to get Freshman on the field at multiple positions? I don’t hear other programs using this crutch language. 

Do you spend a lot of time on other teams' boards?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 3
4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I spend a lot of time watching us lose while other teams play younger kids. 

I am using one game as an example, but we just lost to a team that didn't play any freshmen. We played at least 4 on offense or defense (Lenhardt, Umanmielen, Bootle, Lloyd), the first 2 of those extensively. Alvano too but that is different. I would love to see some freshman WRs make an impact since that's where we need help, but our problem isn't that we don't play freshmen.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 5
2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

I spend a lot of time watching us lose while other teams play younger kids. 

And way too much time thinking about numbers of younger players that you made up in your head.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I am using one game as an example, but we just lost to a team that didn't play any freshmen. We played at least 4 on offense or defense (Lenhardt, Umanmielen, Bootle, Lloyd), the first 2 of those extensively. Alvano too but that is different. I would love to see some freshman WRs make an impact since that's where we need help, but our problem isn't that we don't play freshmen.

Yes.

And, it's much easier to be successful playing a few freshmen here and there when you have really good and well established upperclassmen around them and a winning culture.  Right now, we are working to establish all of that.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:08 PM, nupowr said:

This is a f#&%up hire.  A mistake by Trev or whoever is calling the shots (7.5 mill check writer.) Nebraska is not Texas.  This is not the Big 12.  Rhule will ulimately get to 7 ish wins at NU, be fired, and someone will write another 7.5 mill check.   It is getting ridiculous.  If Mickey is not assistant head coach, and lead recruiter I am out.  Way to go NU, you had a Black HC for as long as you could stand it I guess.  

It is not that I get tired of being right or being able to see the obvious.  It is just that there are so many damn koolaid drinking people with real short memories. Collin calls them mouth breathers.  So, how do you like your crow?  Breasted and fried with some Lawry's and Lemon pepper?  

Maybe it bears repeating.   There is a way to win in Lincoln and it will work in the Big 18 conference.  But you have to follow the formula that was laid out by Bob Devaney and TO.   You have to have the right coach, not just any big name available on the market.  Nebraska can supply the big strong boys that you can turn into bigger, stronger men.  But you have to go out and get the speed.  SUB 4.4 guys you can coach into blanket corners and lightning fast slot receiver/ flankers.  

You have to go get the 4.6 6'2" 200 lb kids and turn them into 4.4 230 lb outside linebackers so you can handle the Michigans, Wisconsins, and the Ohio States.   And you need them four deep. 

Hire a random big name, with some random coordinator friends from South Carolina, keep a line coach on staff because of who his nephew is, and then go out to the broader market and recruit for the same QBs and WRs that Alabama and Georgia are after, and see what happens.   Not going to work in Lincoln NE.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, nupowr said:

SUB 4.4 guys you can coach into blanket corners and lightning fast slot receiver/ flankers.  

You have to go get the 4.6 6'2" 200 lb kids and turn them into 4.4 230 lb outside linebackers so you can handle the Michigans, Wisconsins, and the Ohio States.   And you need them four deep. 

These guys don't come here unless you hire the big name, and certainly not to fill your 4 deep in 2023. 

11 hours ago, nupowr said:

It is not that I get tired of being right or being able to see the obvious.  It is just that there are so many damn koolaid drinking people with real short memories. Collin calls them mouth breathers.  So, how do you like your crow?  Breasted and fried with some Lawry's and Lemon pepper?  

Maybe it bears repeating.   There is a way to win in Lincoln and it will work in the Big 18 conference.  But you have to follow the formula that was laid out by Bob Devaney and TO.   You have to have the right coach, not just any big name available on the market.  Nebraska can supply the big strong boys that you can turn into bigger, stronger men.  But you have to go out and get the speed.  SUB 4.4 guys you can coach into blanket corners and lightning fast slot receiver/ flankers.  

Hire a random big name, with some random coordinator friends from South Carolina, keep a line coach on staff because of who his nephew is, and then go out to the broader market and recruit for the same QBs and WRs that Alabama and Georgia are after, and see what happens.   Not going to work in Lincoln NE.  

you may end up being right, but this is waay too soon. plus, they did do what you are talking about. they brought in "4.6, 6'2, 200lb kids" all over the place, especially on defense. they just lost 3 or 4 of those types at critical spots not because they didn't bring them in.

if they had gotten a game manager as opposed to the athlete we have at qb right now, we would be 2-0. sometimes on offense, the intangibles are more important than the measurables.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Nebraska was outcoached, brutally. But the Klans er fans cannot admit this, for reasons that are "black and white." Only a truly great tackle by the NU DB prevented a touchdown on the exact trips-right drag route CU ran the week before. Did fatboy Ruhle even watch the film? Watch the Atlanta Falcons, who are running the ball in a league even more pass-happy than is the NCAA. Their QB is even more limited than Nebraska's.

• Haha 5
  • Mavric unpinned this topic