*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

14 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I never said there was anything wrong with how Matt Rhule handled it.  I just posted it bc if you ever wondered what HC Matt Rhule told him there you go.  It was a shame that we never got to see his talent on display.

I was going to let this go yesterday, but .......

You posted "The reason HC Matt Rhule told Noa Pola Gates to transfer".  There is no reason in the in article.  You could potentially infer that he was told he wasn't going to play, but that's not what it says.  It's a statement, that no doubt was part of larger conversation, that said go be great somewhere else.  It also covers the fact that they helped find him landing spot.

As far as a shame we never got see his talent.  If the staff believe he doesn't have the talent to play at Nebraska, not sure what you wouldn't be seeing.  Watch a NMSU game on streaming at 10:30 PM I guess.  Most likely the punt coverage team.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

sigh...I understand messageboard posters leaning into narratives like this, but why does the media feel so eager to?

There was never a time that we "didn't tackle in practice". Except for some practices individually, which every team has to differing degrees. Riley's teams tackled in practice, Frost's teams tackled in practice too.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • TBH 1
26 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

sigh...I understand messageboard posters leaning into narratives like this, but why does the media feel so eager to?

There was never a time that we "didn't tackle in practice". Except for some practices individually, which every team has to differing degrees. Riley's teams tackled in practice, Frost's teams tackled in practice too.

Track athletes run at practice too.  Golfers ball wack at practice.  Bowlers hit pins.

It’s been well covered how soft and weak structured many of practices were.  Likely leading to turnovers, penalties, poor execution and mistakes.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

I guess anyone with a podcast may be considered “in the media”, but I’m not sure how much of the more well-known media members have pushed that narrative. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I was going to let this go yesterday, but .......

You posted "The reason HC Matt Rhule told Noa Pola Gates to transfer".  There is no reason in the in article.  You could potentially infer that he was told he wasn't going to play, but that's not what it says.  It's a statement, that no doubt was part of larger conversation, that said go be great somewhere else.  It also covers the fact that they helped find him landing spot.

As far as a shame we never got see his talent.  If the staff believe he doesn't have the talent to play at Nebraska, not sure what you wouldn't be seeing.  Watch a NMSU game on streaming at 10:30 PM I guess.  Most likely the punt coverage team.

Ha. I thought the same thing and also decided to let it go.  The post promised to provide a reason. It didn’t.

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

The reason when it all came down to it was he just wasn't good enough to be on the team anymore.  Go be great somewhere else just not here.

Yeah, I gathered that from Rhule telling him to go be great elsewhere. But still, there was no actual “reason” stated in that link, only that Rhule told him to go be great. It’s semantics…

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I gathered that from Rhule telling him to go be great elsewhere. But still, there was no actual “reason” stated in that link, only that Rhule told him to go be great. It’s semantics…

He wasn't shown the door or told you're not good enough for us. The player made a decision and the coach encouraged him to go be his best.

• Haha 2

This is not a big deal. It's been happening since the Devaney days.  Coach calls you in and says we like you but you probably aren't going to see the field and we have some contacts at this school and they would like to have you.  Now with the portal it has become much easier.  You should hit the portal and see it there is somewhere you "want" to go and if that doesn't work so and so would welcome you 

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

He wasn't shown the door or told you're not good enough for us. The player made a decision and the coach encouraged him to go be his best.

Ya know, I don’t really care. But the coach wouldn’t be doing his job if he wasn’t moving non-contributors out the door. I’d be upset if he was letting them take up space and time.

I don’t remember where I saw this but it was very recently on this site. Rhule is a believer in moving players out if they aren’t contributing and seeing playing time by year 3. The idea is some recruits work out and even more don’t. So you increase your chances of finding more contributors by signing more recruits and to do that you need to move people out. I don’t think we’ll be seeing any 4th or 5th year players unless they’re on the field a lot. And going into the 3rd year is where they’ll start getting processed. Sounds like a good plan. I like it.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Ya know, I don’t really care. But the coach wouldn’t be doing his job if he wasn’t moving non-contributors out the door. I’d be upset if he was letting them take up space and time.

I don’t remember where I saw this but it was very recently on this site. Rhule is a believer in moving players out if they aren’t contributing and seeing playing time by year 3. The idea is some recruits work out and even more don’t. So you increase your chances of finding more contributors by signing more recruits and to do that you need to move people out. I don’t think we’ll be seeing any 4th or 5th year players unless they’re on the field a lot. And going into the 3rd year is where they’ll start getting processed. Sounds like a good plan. I like it.

Don't doubt that there was a conversation. The process was likely different than one might envision it. We need players that are contributing as you say. 

• Mavric unpinned this topic