*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nearly everyone was all-in and super excited about the Frost hire and his first couple of seasons.  So, when he crapped the bed for 5 years, NU fans felt kind of lost near the end of last season.  Shoot, there was a good percentage of the fan base who thought NU should have hired Mickey Joseph as the full-time coach, even though he had no prior head coaching experience and had never been involved in rebuilding a program.  So, when Rhule was hired after his failure at Carolina, and when NU fans saw the contract which he got, many fans are taking a wait and see approach with him, just because they don't want to get burned again.  Rhule was the pragmatic hire, while some fans wanted a splash hire.

With Colorado, they made the splash in Deion, and it has generated a lot of attention and buzz for their program.  CU needed to do that because nobody cared about CU football the past few years.  I have lived 30 minutes from Boulder for the past 15 years, and even when they have had years of success, they get very little attention in the area.  CU football has been having serious money issues, so they had to take a chance at Deion to generate interest and money.  While some think Deion is going to be a sure-fire success, I have a lot of doubts with him.

Rhule has basically been the guy I wanted NU to hire since he got let go at Carolina. I think he's the perfect fit for what Nebraska needs. If it doesn't work out with Rhule, man, that would really stink.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Rhule has basically been the guy I wanted NU to hire since he got let go at Carolina. I think he's the perfect fit for what Nebraska needs. If it doesn't work out with Rhule, man, that would really stink.

Yeah, I had an eye on Rhule over the same time period.  I wasn't a fan of his at Baylor, but that was more of being an anti-Baylor thing.  I really wanted NU to hire Rhule, and was disappointed when there was a 1-2 week period when it seemed like we had lost out on him.  Yes, that may have been just internet rumors at the time, but I would have been bummed if NU had to go to another option.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
On 7/16/2023 at 10:49 AM, The Dude said:

Rhule was given control of the roster decisions in Carolina so that whole debacle was kind of his fault.

Now, that doesn't mean he can't run a college football program, it just means he can't run an NFL franchise.

So you're saying we hired the next Nick Saban?

• Oh Yeah! 3
  • TBH 2
45 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I really wanted NU to hire Rhule, and was disappointed when there was a 1-2 week period when it seemed like we had lost out on him.  Yes, that may have been just internet rumors at the time, but I would have been bummed if NU had to go to another option.

Rhule himself pretty much confirmed those rumors in one of his first press conferences. He said something like "There was a point when it looked like we weren't going to be able to make this happen, through neither party's fault." Didn't come out and directly say that it was Carolina that was the obstacle, but it's not hard to connect the dots.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nearly everyone was all-in and super excited about the Frost hire and his first couple of seasons.  So, when he crapped the bed for 5 years, NU fans felt kind of lost near the end of last season.  Shoot, there was a good percentage of the fan base who thought NU should have hired Mickey Joseph as the full-time coach, even though he had no prior head coaching experience and had never been involved in rebuilding a program.  So, when Rhule was hired after his failure at Carolina, and when NU fans saw the contract which he got, many fans are taking a wait and see approach with him, just because they don't want to get burned again.  Rhule was the pragmatic hire, while some fans wanted a splash hire.

With Colorado, they made the splash in Deion, and it has generated a lot of attention and buzz for their program.  CU needed to do that because nobody cared about CU football the past few years.  I have lived 30 minutes from Boulder for the past 15 years, and even when they have had years of success, they get very little attention in the area.  CU football has been having serious money issues, so they had to take a chance at Deion to generate interest and money.  While some think Deion is going to be a sure-fire success, I have a lot of doubts with him.

100% accurate on all counts, well said!

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 4:21 AM, The Dude said:

Maybe the Wish version.  Saban was better in both college and the NFL.

Saban prior to LSU
43-26-1

No complete dumpster fires enjoined.

Matt Rhule at Temple & Baylor

47-43

Both were dumpster fires.

44-22 if you remove only the 1st year in each program.

I’m failing to see an appreciable difference. This is not to say MR is the next Saban. Just wanted to provide some context. And I don’t care how either of them did in the NFL. That is completely irrelevant (see Urban Meyer).

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic