*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

The athlete has to be willing to put in the work. Be committed. That's what's required to be successful. And coaches meeting them there doing likewise.

Predecessors can't do that for them. History and tradition can only do so much. No, but you can honor that tradition and history through putting forth the effort. Contributing your personal best for yourself and your team. You can have all the talent and potential in the world. It doesn't matter much if one's not truly interested. At least, it's not nearly enough. We can't just talk toughness mentally or physically. Having a sharp skill set. Not words. But living it. And that, is what will return us to experiencing successes again.

And it's not about the program, it's the people that make the program function. A real sense of belonging, authentically a part of it. All of it operating as one unit cohesively. Much of what we've been lacking is cohesion. A common, shared purpose. It's that kind of culture that will ensure that we can compete with anyone. 

Matt Rhule identifies talent sure. The "secret sauce" though is his identifying who really wants to be winners and providing them everything to achieve that aim. It can be hard and fun at the same time. The two can coexist together! 

There's something cooking in Lincoln. I am so appreciative what coach and his staff are doing. Lots of heavy lifting going on. It's genuine. And they're busting their butts to shift coarse and get back to winning games. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Matt Rhule identifies talent sure. The "secret sauce" though is his identifying who really wants to be winners and providing them everything to achieve that aim. It can be hard and fun at the same time. The two can coexist together! 

To be honest, I don't know if anyone has really figured out the secret to identifying those players on a consistent basis both in college recruiting and in the NFL draft (or any other sport, for that matter). I think most of the time you just hope you've set a good enough example, both as a coach and with your players, that the new guys coming in sort of fall in line. Even then, it's not uncommon to see at the college level one or two really pronounced group of leaders graduate and you find yourself wanting there.

I do like a lot of these guys in this respect, though. Kaelin, as one example, is just great. With Raiola committing elsewhere he just jumps at this opportunity with both feet and hasn't stopped since he committed. Does he become a 3 or 4 year starter, or a starter at all? Who knows this far out. If you're in a tight game late in the season and you need your backup to come in, you hope for a guy that seizes that opportunity the way he has his recruitment.

• Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Will post this in recruiting page as well but the title speaks for it's self.  How HC Matt Rhule Cleaned Up Scott's Frost Recruiting Mess at Nebraska Football!!!

There's been a real sense of urgency from day 1. They've been approaching every aspect of what it takes to be successful and getting after it. I really don't think Scott Frost believed that he could be successful here. There was a lack of confidence and commitment. The press conferences were about as dreadful as the the outcomes of our games. He was lost.

Matt Rhule has his staff functioning at a high level meeting the challenge before them head on with enthusiasm. There's a whole different energy than previous. Teams are a large part a reflection of their leadership. There's got to be the right kind of chemistry going on driving success. There's a good feel to it that's attractive to players. How is a player supposed to get on board when there's doubt or the comfort and confidence isn't there...There's a sense of knowing that this guy and his staff have what it takes for them to experience success. That they have the answers. 

Year one is going to be somewhat rough. There's going to be some growing pains. The changes are going to be much more evident in year two. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
23 hours ago, brophog said:

To be honest, I don't know if anyone has really figured out the secret to identifying those players on a consistent basis both in college recruiting and in the NFL draft (or any other sport, for that matter). I think most of the time you just hope you've set a good enough example, both as a coach and with your players, that the new guys coming in sort of fall in line. Even then, it's not uncommon to see at the college level one or two really pronounced group of leaders graduate and you find yourself wanting there.

I do like a lot of these guys in this respect, though. Kaelin, as one example, is just great. With Raiola committing elsewhere he just jumps at this opportunity with both feet and hasn't stopped since he committed. Does he become a 3 or 4 year starter, or a starter at all? Who knows this far out. If you're in a tight game late in the season and you need your backup to come in, you hope for a guy that seizes that opportunity the way he has his recruitment.

I'll take the person that's got the drive and determination to be successful every time. Those that don't waist opportunities making the most of them. The pool is there and you do your best to identify the characteristics. The player has to want to win, be successful and the coach and the staff do what they can for the player to want to be successful and win.

Dylan Raiola seems to have both the desire and talent to be successful. Quite mature I'd say. It doesn't appear at all that he deems himself entitled to anything and that for him to be successful will require work. He thought through his decision conducting himself professionally. No one knows for sure what level of success he'll have. We know his chances are better in his favor based upon his work ethic and other various characteristics. 

55 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I'll take the person that's got the drive and determination to be successful every time. Those that don't waist opportunities making the most of them. The pool is there and you do your best to identify the characteristics. The player has to want to win, be successful and the coach and the staff do what they can for the player to want to be successful and win.

Dylan Raiola seems to have both the desire and talent to be successful. Quite mature I'd say. It doesn't appear at all that he deems himself entitled to anything and that for him to be successful will require work. He thought through his decision conducting himself professionally. No one knows for sure what level of success he'll have. We know his chances are better in his favor based upon his work ethic and other various characteristics. 

And the fact that it helps him going to a high polished championship level program instead of trying to establish a winning culture here.

29 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

“They have adults running the program now” that says it all right there. 
BTW this 24 class is the best class we’ve had since 2005. Callahan put together an 8th ranked class. That’s fire! :bounce

This class will probably end up somewhere in the 20-35 range, just like the majority of classes we have had the last 20 years.

I think the high water mark post Callahan is Bo's 2011 class which finished 16th on 247.  That class had 9 4*s out of 21 total.

• TBH 2
  • Mavric unpinned this topic