*** Matt Rhule Hired as New Husker Head Coach ***

Mavric

14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

How many ranked teams has NU won against in the last  ten years ?  Not many. 10% at most Id guess.  

By my quick count, it’s 3 ranked wins in the last 10 years, none since 2016 vs Oregon.

All this ranked talk is all well and good, but can we at least get back to beating the unranked teams before we discuss firing him?

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 5

21 minutes ago, brophog said:

By my quick count, it’s 3 ranked wins in the last 10 years, none since 2016 vs Oregon.

All this ranked talk is all well and good, but can we at least get back to beating the unranked teams before we discuss firing him?

I think the biggest barometer for future success as a program is rebuilding the talent, depth, and mindset of the team so NU can go back to having a handful of "automatic" wins every year.  I know the Big Ten is improving, but between non-conference games and the dregs of the conference, there is no reason NU can't get back to counting on 5 or 6 wins every year.

That leaves half of the schedule where NU is competing against evenly matched opponents or being sizable underdogs (Ohio State, Michigan, USC being the main 3).  Now all of those games will be against "ranked" opponents, but those are the types of wins which I am looking for later on in the process.

EDIT:  Frost and Riley didn't fail because they couldn't beat ranked opponents.  They failed because they let the program fall so low that they weren't beating non-conference opponents, Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue on a regular basis.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 1

18 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The most successful football coach in NFL history has an opinion on NU’s new football coach NFL tenure and it doesn’t mean much because you’re a Chiefs fan?  

Ok, then. Makes total sense. 

It made sense to me that his statement as a Chiefs fan made no sense.

Signed - Broncos Fan

• Oh Yeah! 3
2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I just saw a guy on YouTube asking questions about whether Matt Rhule can get it done. It made me think that in a couple months we'll start finding out. It seems weird, but we're almost there.

Maybe it seems weird bc it doesn't seem like Husker Nation is excited for Nebraska football.  Maybe it's bc we seen the football coaches say the right things but the product not be good.  Certainly I'm excited but you can tell that the general buzz is a wait and see approach like we been hurt to much.  I feel like there is more excitement around Colorado and what they are doing compared to us but the recruits and coaches around here would say different.

29 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Maybe it seems weird bc it doesn't seem like Husker Nation is excited for Nebraska football.  Maybe it's bc we seen the football coaches say the right things but the product not be good.  Certainly I'm excited but you can tell that the general buzz is a wait and see approach like we been hurt to much.  I feel like there is more excitement around Colorado and what they are doing compared to us but the recruits and coaches around here would say different.

Nearly everyone was all-in and super excited about the Frost hire and his first couple of seasons.  So, when he crapped the bed for 5 years, NU fans felt kind of lost near the end of last season.  Shoot, there was a good percentage of the fan base who thought NU should have hired Mickey Joseph as the full-time coach, even though he had no prior head coaching experience and had never been involved in rebuilding a program.  So, when Rhule was hired after his failure at Carolina, and when NU fans saw the contract which he got, many fans are taking a wait and see approach with him, just because they don't want to get burned again.  Rhule was the pragmatic hire, while some fans wanted a splash hire.

With Colorado, they made the splash in Deion, and it has generated a lot of attention and buzz for their program.  CU needed to do that because nobody cared about CU football the past few years.  I have lived 30 minutes from Boulder for the past 15 years, and even when they have had years of success, they get very little attention in the area.  CU football has been having serious money issues, so they had to take a chance at Deion to generate interest and money.  While some think Deion is going to be a sure-fire success, I have a lot of doubts with him.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Mavric unpinned this topic