Marcus Satterfield Hired as Offensive Coordinator

Red Five

Figured this was as good of a place as any for this. I still feel like a hugely underrated element of our offensive success this year is having a hardnosed running back whose strength is yards after carry.

Seems like most people believe there will be a lot of double tight end sets in this offense. When I think of teams that have been most successful doing that in the last 10-20 years, Wisconsin comes to mind first.

When you have two tight ends between the hashes, the other team puts at least an extra guy up close. So you have more bodies that your RB has to run through, it's just a big mixing bowl of bodies at times. Wisconsin's offensive line gets so much credit (and they should), but a big reason I think they did so well there was because of the type of RB they recruit. They're not huge, Jerome Bettis type bodies - but they're just really strong guys. Bigger legs, bigger cores.

You have to grind through the mixer in these plays. I just don't know if we have a running back that can do that this season. But, maybe we'll run more outside the tackles than what I have in my mind right now. You can absolutely run outside in the big sets as well.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Figured this was as good of a place as any for this. I still feel like a hugely underrated element of our offensive success this year is having a hardnosed running back whose strength is yards after carry.

Seems like most people believe there will be a lot of double tight end sets in this offense. When I think of teams that have been most successful doing that in the last 10-20 years, Wisconsin comes to mind first.

When you have two tight ends between the hashes, the other team puts at least an extra guy up close. So you have more bodies that your RB has to run through, it's just a big mixing bowl of bodies at times. Wisconsin's offensive line gets so much credit (and they should), but a big reason I think they did so well there was because of the type of RB they recruit. They're not huge, Jerome Bettis type bodies - but they're just really strong guys. Bigger legs, bigger cores.

You have to grind through the mixer in these plays. I just don't know if we have a running back that can do that this season. But, maybe we'll run more outside the tackles than what I have in my mind right now. You can absolutely run outside in the big sets as well.

You can have whoever you want in the backfield but they are not going anywhere when first contact is behind the line of scrimmage.

I believe, but I'll admit it's hope, that our offensive scheme was so poor and confusing that our lineman were ineffective.  I also think the lack of contact in practice made them soft.  I'm expecting a the play to be much improved this year.  I think we have talent that just wasn't developed.  Even among guys we've written off.

The offenses through T-Mart, TA and A-Mart were so one dimensional that they required the QB win with his legs or his arm.  In general, most teams have neutralized our QB run game.  I think this offense is really going to improve with an accurate passer that has the ability to run second.

I don't think we've seen good offense in Lincoln in a really really long time.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The offenses through T-Mart, TA and A-Mart were so one dimensional that they required the QB win with his legs or his arm.  In general, most teams have neutralized our QB run game.

I think this is fairly accurate over all. We had seasons under Bo where I'd describe our run game in general as being very hard for opponents to stop. Under Frost, I'd probably say that most teams neutralized our running back run game, actually. Martinez's scrambles kept so many drives and games alive (and that speaks to your point about the QB having to get it done by himself).

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think this offense is really going to improve with an accurate passer that has the ability to run second.

Is this really who Sims is? Big if true. I'm not sure he'll be slinging the rock any better than a junior or senior year Adrian Martinez - but then again, in my opinion that was fairly decent.

It's really the run blocking on the RB handoff plays that make it or break it. When you can't have that be even remotely successful it's like playing most games from behind from the opening kickoff.

Also not really sure we have a WR & TE corps that are going to light up the field in the passing game anyway. I think we'll have to be a running team to be successful but I want to be wrong.

22 minutes ago, Undone said:

Is this really who Sims is? Big if true. I'm not sure he'll be slinging the rock any better than a junior or senior year Adrian Martinez - but then again, in my opinion that was fairly decent.

Martinez completed 71.5% and 61.8% his last two years here.  If Sims is anywhere in that range, I think our offense should be pretty good.

But I agree I have my doubts about that top end of that.  Hopefully in the 61% range.  I'd be shocked if he's in the 71% range.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think this is fairly accurate over all. We had seasons under Bo where I'd describe our run game in general as being very hard for opponents to stop. Under Frost, I'd probably say that most teams neutralized our running back run game, actually. Martinez's scrambles kept so many drives and games alive (and that speaks to your point about the QB having to get it done by himself).

It's really the run blocking on the RB handoff plays that make it or break it. When you can't have that be even remotely successful it's like playing most games from behind from the opening kickoff.

Also not really sure we have a WR & TE corps that are going to light up the field in the passing game anyway. I think we'll have to be a running team to be successful but I want to be wrong.

I think this year could be a little rough, but I think the offense 2-3 years from now could be really interesting. I agree right now, I just don't see the playmakers in the passing game. Fidone could be one, but it's hard to build an entire passing game around a TE and I just don't see any of the receivers consistently threatening a defense right now. Maybe Betts, or Coleman if he's more polished than I think - but I think both those guys need a year or two. Having Sims' running ability helps the offense this year at least, but if I'm an opposing DC I feel pretty good stacking against the run and daring the receivers to make plays.

Now in a few years, there's potential for a really interesting combination of a power running game and ultra-athletic receivers. You've got guys like Coleman, Doss, and Bell who are well-rounded and should be able to contribute relatively quickly. And then you only need 1 or 2 of the track star projects to pan out to become really tough to defend. Lack of playmakers on the outside is what kept some solid running games at Wisconsin and Iowa from being really good offenses, and this staff is at least taking shots to find the playmakers. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I’m not saying Sims is that guy.  I just hope that’s where it’s going.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Martinez completed 71.5% and 61.8% his last two years here.  If Sims is anywhere in that range, I think our offense should be pretty good.

But I agree I have my doubts about that top end of that.  Hopefully in the 61% range.  I'd be shocked if he's in the 71% range.

I think he could be in the hight 60's.  I feel like the receiving core and TE's are going to help out Sims more than the ones who 2AM was throwing to 

• TBH 1
6 hours ago, Undone said:

Seems like most people believe there will be a lot of double tight end sets in this offense.

I'm not one of them. I definitely think we will look to establish the tight end position because there's some good numbers there, but two tight end sets in the modern game are more often not two inline tight ends. You're looking for an h-back or slot guy that you can get in a mismatch and then pairing him with an inline type. There could be some versatility in this group to do those sorts of things, but we will see how that develops.

Two inline tight ends brings so many defenders in the box and if they feel they can match up man on the outside they can get a serious numbers advantage. With the state of the offensive line and receivers believed to not be great in this first year, that sounds like a recipe for disaster, regardless of the running back.

Rhule and Satterfield will probably throw a bunch of things at the wall this first year, especially if things start off slow, but Rhule's teams still have common philosophies over the years even if the specifics change year to year. One of those is what I'm going to call 'common sense football' in regards to personnel. Short yardage: jumbo, 3rd and long: 4 wide, that sort of thing. In that sense, yes we could see some two tight inline sets situationally.

If I had to describe what I expect this year in terms of offensive style it would be limiting the liability that is the offensive line. Rhule knows how important that group is, and while he may talk them up, he also knows Rome isn't built in a day.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I think he could be in the hight 60's.  I feel like the receiving core and TE's are going to help out Sims more than the ones who 2AM was throwing to 

Yep.  I think Kemp can be the main receiver that Sims can count on to make a play.  Then, you work in some sort of combination of Washington, Betts, IGC, Fleeks and I think you can have a pretty solid group.

It would be really nice if Coleman would show some play making ability as a freshman.  But, I think it will take him a little time to get used to the college game.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.  I think Kemp can be the main receiver that Sims can count on to make a play.  Then, you work in some sort of combination of Washington, Betts, IGC, Fleeks and I think you can have a pretty solid group.

It would be really nice if Coleman would show some play making ability as a freshman.  But, I think it will take him a little time to get used to the college game.

Hopefully the coaches can develop a package of plays which can use his size and speed for mismatches, while Coleman polishes his route running, blocking, and other WR skills .  These could be just straight go routes down the field, come back routes where he can use his body to shield the CB, or jump balls in the end zone.  These types of mismatches can create big/scoring plays, and then also shift coverage over to Coleman when he goes on the field, which should open up other areas of the field.

• Oh Yeah! 1

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

i think the speed across the board for the WR group has improved as well.  I think you can get two guys on the field at once who can take the top off the defense with Betts and Coleman.  Also will help open up the underneath stuff for Kemp.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
13 hours ago, brophog said:

One of those is what I'm going to call 'common sense football' in regards to personnel. Short yardage: jumbo, 3rd and long: 4 wide, that sort of thing. In that sense, yes we could see some two tight inline sets situationally.

And I wasn't necessarily talking about just two TE inline sets. I was talking about the second TE being a 'H' back or a fullback as well. Just having two tight ends on the field and how often we might be doing that.

Obviously there's no way to really know. I'm really curious about how often we'll see two tight ends on 1st & 2nd down this year.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

And I wasn't necessarily talking about just two TE inline sets. I was talking about the second TE being a 'H' back or a fullback as well. Just having two tight ends on the field and how often we might be doing that.

Obviously there's no way to really know. I'm really curious about how often we'll see two tight ends on 1st & 2nd down this year.

I could possibly see this more often if at least one of those TEs is a serious receiving threat.  Hopefully, Fidone is that threat.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I could possibly see this more often if at least one of those TEs is a serious receiving threat.  Hopefully, Fidone is that threat.

What I think will happen is if the hybrid H-Back/TE/Fullback player will stay on the field for a few plays, but be lined up all over.  One play he can line up tight on the line, the next he can be an offset full back, the next play he can be set in the slot.  That player can be paired with a TE who is a receiving threat (like you mention). I am envisioning somewhat of how the 49ers use different guys to go along with George Kittle.

The benefit of using a hybrid H-Back/TE/Fullback is to keep them on the field and limit substitutions by the defense, and being able to run multiple formations and play designs out of the same 11 guys.

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What I think will happen is if the hybrid H-Back/TE/Fullback player will stay on the field for a few plays, but be lined up all over.  One play he can line up tight on the line, the next he can be an offset full back, the next play he can be set in the slot.  That player can be paired with a TE who is a receiving threat (like you mention). I am envisioning somewhat of how the 49ers use different guys to go along with George Kittle.

The benefit of using a hybrid H-Back/TE/Fullback is to keep them on the field and limit substitutions by the defense, and being able to run multiple formations and play designs out of the same 11 guys.

Agree.  But, wouldn't the hybrid H-back/TE/Fullback be the guy you need as a receiving threat and the other one could be more of a blocking TE?  If not, why would you put someone who isn't a receiving threat in the slot....for instance?