Arrival/Departure List 2022-23

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I completely agree. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander. Commitment can’t be a one way street.

It’s not some of these kids that aren’t playing are forced to enter transfer portal . They’re called in and told you won’t play here you need to move on. My son is a D1 baseball player and it’s happened to a couple of his teammates. I don’t think it’s right either way but it’s definitely the same playing field.

1 hour ago, Otterpop said:

It’s not some of these kids that aren’t playing are forced to enter transfer portal . They’re called in and told you won’t play here you need to move on. My son is a D1 baseball player and it’s happened to a couple of his teammates. I don’t think it’s right either way but it’s definitely the same playing field.

I’m sure that happens in many cases, and that’s fair. But there are plenty where that is not the situation. How many guys have you seen transfer that were not told they wouldn’t be playing? Those are the ones that hurt. It’s not a level playing field in all cases. The portal and NIL have drastically changed things, and not for the better imo, unless you’re only concerned about better for the players.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Kayvan said:

I have a feeling this staff is quite a bit more supportive of their student athletes than the last one. Perhaps Betts will really benefit from being led by adults. I am cautiously optimistic about him pulling it together. If so, our WR room is looking in decent shape with Betts, Washington, Kemp, Brown, Fleeks and maybe a surprise or two from the youths. 

This staff is sober, so that's a good step.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m sure that happens in many cases, and that’s fair. But there are plenty where that is not the situation. How many guys have you seen transfer that were not told they wouldn’t be playing? Those are the ones that hurt. It’s not a level playing field in all cases. The portal and NIL have drastically changed things, and not for the better imo, unless you’re only concerned about better for the players.

The initial concepts of NIL and a free transfer were good IMO. However, NIL became something it didn’t really intended with all of the collective funds being done around the country.  Giving recruits and transfers hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars just to set foot on campus seems like something that is outside the original intent of the policy. 

The transfer portal is also good, because players should have the right to play where the want to.  However, it’s creating a further split between the great players and the players who aren’t doing great right away. The great players are leaving for greener pastures and better NIL opportunities. In a free market, I don’t blame them for doing so. However, the ones who are getting hurt are the ones who are forced to go down a level or two to find playing time or even keep a scholarship to pay for college.

It will be interesting to see how things develop in the next few years. I am wondering how much longer collectives can count on getting millions of dollars every year from donors and boosters, especially when their can be very little return. With the transfer portal, what started out with the grad transfer and one free transfer could grow into unlimited transfers because kids will ask for so many waivers which they know will be approved. That part I don’t agree with. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree with you and I don’t like it either but I also don’t think it’s fair a coach gives a kid a scholarship and by end of fall he’s basically releasing him. 

• TBH 1

9 hours ago, Otterpop said:

I agree with you and I don’t like it either but I also don’t think it’s fair a coach gives a kid a scholarship and by end of fall he’s basically releasing him. 

I guess I am at the point where the university gives an athlete a full ride expenses all paid education.  Previously the athlete was locked into the "contract".  If they transferred, sit a year.  Now it's complete free agency.  Staff and school take a chance on a kid who then can up and leave with no warning, no reason etc...The staff expected him to stay around.  How many non- producers has NU carried year after year to be nothing but live practice players for the starters.  In this new mercenary age of college sports (football) why should the staff me mandated to keep, to be brutally honest, dead weight, that will never see the field.  When after "X" number years they have done nothing.  How many players over the roster is NU now?  Maybe players need to know that the staff can now exercise the same freedoms players can with their scholarships.  Rhule needs to flip a roster?  You 12 guys are out.  Welcome to the new age.  You "signed a contract".  Honor it.  Want to transfer after your 4 years?  Sure rock on.  But this free agency crap, no thanks. 

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, lo country said:

I guess I am at the point where the university gives an athlete a full ride expenses all paid education.  Previously the athlete was locked into the "contract".  If they transferred, sit a year.  Now it's complete free agency.  Staff and school take a chance on a kid who then can up and leave with no warning, no reason etc...The staff expected him to stay around.  How many non- producers has NU carried year after year to be nothing but live practice players for the starters.  In this new mercenary age of college sports (football) why should the staff me mandated to keep, to be brutally honest, dead weight, that will never see the field.  When after "X" number years they have done nothing.  How many players over the roster is NU now?  Maybe players need to know that the staff can now exercise the same freedoms players can with their scholarships.  Rhule needs to flip a roster?  You 12 guys are out.  Welcome to the new age.  You "signed a contract".  Honor it.  Want to transfer after your 4 years?  Sure rock on.  But this free agency crap, no thanks. 

I’m not saying you’re wrong at all I think after 1st year you can transfer or they can get out of their offer after 1st both sides are to honor the contract unless player goes pro. 

58 minutes ago, lo country said:

2 million college students in the US transfer from their current school. I know many college football players aren’t “playing school”, but why should we expect/force student-athletes to stay at their first decision forever with not one “free transfer”? Many kids just make a decision that’s not right for them out of high school.  Why should we penalize student-athletes?  Also, if someone is able to “better themself” why should that be penalized?

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

2 million college students in the US transfer from their current school. I know many college football players aren’t “playing school”, but why should we expect/force student-athletes to stay at their first decision forever with not one “free transfer”? Many kids just make a decision that’s not right for them out of high school.  Why should we penalize student-athletes?  Also, if someone is able to “better themself” why should that be penalized?

I mean ... I'm not necessarily against it.  But the professor and other students in the Chem 101 class aren't particularly affected if Joe Student decideds to transfer.  So it's not really the same thing.

I don't really have a solution.  I think the athletes should be able to change their minds.  But it's actually even worse than free agency in the pros because in the pros you have people locked into multi-year contracts so it's only a fraction of your team each year that is a free agent.  In college now, everyone is a free agent every year.  That's all but impossible to manage.

The closest I've come up with is maybe make things on a two-year basis (with an out if the head coach leaves).  So once they sign with a school they are there for two years.  I can't quite decide if they should have another two-year stint after that (without transferring, no penalty for going pro or quitting football) or maybe you can't transfer to another D-1 school for two more years or something.  But the current setup - especially with the back-door recruiting going on - is a complete cluster.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... I'm not necessarily against it.  But the professor and other students in the Chem 101 class aren't particularly affected if Joe Student decideds to transfer.  So it's not really the same thing.

I don't really have a solution.  I think the athletes should be able to change their minds.  But it's actually even worse than free agency in the pros because in the pros you have people locked into multi-year contracts so it's only a fraction of your team each year that is a free agent.  In college now, everyone is a free agent every year.  That's all but impossible to manage.

The closest I've come up with is maybe make things on a two-year basis (with an out if the head coach leaves).  So once they sign with a school they are there for two years.  I can't quite decide if they should have another two-year stint after that (without transferring, no penalty for going pro or quitting football) or maybe you can't transfer to another D-1 school for two more years or something.  But the current setup - especially with the back-door recruiting going on - is a complete cluster.

I agree that it’s a cluster and there isn’t an easy solution. I’m just trying to point out that student-athletes aren’t the only ones who transfer from their original school, and maybe student-athletes shouldn’t be so vilified by fans. Yes, the average fan doesn’t care when the biology major transfers to a school closer to home, when he initially chose to attend a school out of high school. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would agree that the player should not be held hostage to one bad initial decision. But that pales in comparison to the multitude of problems the current portal, in conjunction with NIL, has created. As is it is too wide open and can be exploited/abused.  The NCAA (or some more capable governing body) needs to have limits and parameters on both of these programs. Want to transfer once? Fine. Want to team jump for a payday? Buzz, no way.

I’m sure there are better examples but I think of Decoldest. Kid comes in, cashes a NIL check and 1 year of a schollie, and moves on without having contributed a single thing. That is not fair to the team, University or the HVAC company booster. They need to tame this wild west s#!tshow.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that it’s a cluster and there isn’t an easy solution. I’m just trying to point out that student-athletes aren’t the only ones who transfer from their original school, and maybe student-athletes shouldn’t be so vilified by fans. Yes, the average fan doesn’t care when the biology major transfers to a school closer to home, when he initially chose to attend a school out of high school. 

The regular student is a simple example and not remotely the same thing. They pay money and the school educates them. Fair deal. Or, the more desirable student gets a scholly and the school educates them. If they choose to leave no more scholly. Still a fair deal. But with sports it is not always a fair tit for tat deal and is currently tilted in the athletes favor.

I suppose you could say, prior to NIL, it was tilted in the school’s favor, at least $$ wise. But that is why college players are supposed to be student athletes and not “I didn’t come here to play school”.  I’m still of the opinion that tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars of an education was a good enough fair deal.

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I would agree that the player should not be held hostage to one bad initial decision. But that pales in comparison to the multitude of problems the current portal, in conjunction with NIL, has created. As is it is too wide open and can be exploited/abused.  The NCAA (or some more capable governing body) needs to have limits and parameters on both of these programs. Want to transfer once? Fine. Want to team jump for a payday? Buzz, no way.

I’m sure there are better examples but I think of Decoldest. Kid comes in, cashes a NIL check and 1 year of a schollie, and moves on without having contributed a single thing. That is not fair to the team, University or the HVAC company booster. They need to tame this wild west s#!tshow.

Why should Crawford be forced to stay at NU when all of the coaches who recruited him to Lincoln are gone?  Why does it matter because he got injured and didn’t play or had an endorsement deal with a HVAC company? 

• Plus1 2
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Why should Crawford be forced to stay at NU when all of the coaches who recruited him to Lincoln are gone?  Why does it matter because he got injured and didn’t play or had an endorsement deal with a HVAC company? 

I’m not saying that was the best example. It’s just one that came to mind where the team/school got jacks#!t in return.

• Haha 1
  • NsideScoop changed the title to Arrival/Departure List 2022-23
  • Mavric unpinned this topic