Bob Wager Hired as Tight Ends Coach/Assistant Special Teams Coach

suh_fan93

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I’m confused.  Why would it say the head coach resigned and the Special Teams coach position is now open. 

I’m confused.  Why would it say the head coach resigned and the Special Teams coach position is now open. 

It says he took the job as TE/Asst ST coach.  Resigning his HC job, which is now open.

• Plus1 2

He’s been involved in coaching the last seven Under Armour All-American Games in Orlando, as well as serving on the game’s board of directors. He’s made the Texas high school state playoffs for the past 14 years and has a record of 176-93 over 23 seasons. His team went 10-2 this season, losing in the second round of the state playoffs.

Wager served on the Board of Directors of the Texas High School Coaches Association, to which Rhule has a strong connection.   

HOL

1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

Why would that be bad?

Texas HS football is a ….different animal. IMO if you’re a HS football coach, working 90 hours a week, and hardly ever seeing your family, you’ve made some questionable choices and it’s probably not a good thing. I mean I’ll take the dedication but some perspective and risk/reward analysis would be helpful. I wonder what the ratio is of guys who parlay that into a bigger gig compared to all the lost family time.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

These videos always crack me up.  The music, the tear jerking "I don't get to see my family" bit...even though you can watch film from anywhere and pretty much every state has maximum hours you are allowed to practice.  

I could only imagine what thee "day in the life of a fireman" looks like.

Well about 21 of 24 days in the life of a fireman would show you that they are barely actually a fireman. Doing stuff around their house, yardwork, making extra money as a contractor….shopping for a new truck :lol:  One used to live next door to us. First responder? More like never a responder because he only worked a few days a month.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
52 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Texas HS football is a ….different animal. IMO if you’re a HS football coach, working 90 hours a week, and hardly ever seeing your family, you’ve made some questionable choices and it’s probably not a good thing. I mean I’ll take the dedication but some perspective and risk/reward analysis would be helpful. I wonder what the ratio is of guys who parlay that into a bigger gig compared to all the lost family time.

Ok…..what does a hs coach do in 90 hours per week?  I can maybe see it during the season. But, that’s 4 months out of the year?   They don’t have to recruit year round like college. They don’t have to pour over hours of recruit video…etc.  

So, in March, or June….what are they doing then?

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok…..what does a hs coach do in 90 hours per week?  I can maybe see it during the season. But, that’s 4 months out of the year?   They don’t have to recruit year round like college. They don’t have to pour over hours of recruit video…etc.  

So, in March, or June….what are they doing for 90 hours?

I have no idea but based in what I think I know about Texas High School football (and TX sports in general) I imagine they create crap to do year round to build and maintain their little dynasties. Played against some TX softball and volleyball teams when my daughter was doing the  travel ball thing and the Texas teams and fans were just effin ridiculous. Not a healthy environment for the kids imo.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, in March, or June….what are they doing for 90 hours?

I believe he served as the Athletic Coordinator as well. Here in MN and probably most places that is a lot of time going to different games/activities. Maybe in Texas it is just a title to have money funneled from other areas to help pay the head football coach.

Being a coach myself, the time away from family is real...I probably don't spend 90 hours a week (teaching all day, practice, and other duties can get close some weeks though), but it is a lot. Yes, being able to watch film anywhere is great, but that means I may not be engaged fully with family while I am doing that. Youth obligations takes up time after practice and other various things going on. Again, not saying I work 90 hours a week, but Texas football is a completely different beast and if he has other duties within the athletic program it could easily get up to that. Also, I would imagine he is not doing 90 hours in the off season.