2023 Spring Practice Notes - Offensive Line

Mavric

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You have to use all resources that are available to you.  When you are the head of one of the top programs with resources, it's crazy not to use those resources to the best of your ability....especially when you aren't....and you keep losing.

Definitely what I was thinking also. And having Epley just say it out loud to, you know, Sports Illustrated? Sort of a big deal.

• TBH 1

Nouredin Nouili is a 5th year senior, but I'm curious if anybody knows why he's not a 5th year junior with the covid season.  I'm guessing he was not redshirted last season because of suspension, but can anybody confirm, or was a reason ever provided why he wouldn't have been redshirted?  

9 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Nouredin Nouili is a 5th year senior, but I'm curious if anybody knows why he's not a 5th year junior with the covid season.  I'm guessing he was not redshirted last season because of suspension, but can anybody confirm, or was a reason ever provided why he wouldn't have been redshirted?  

My guess is that when you are suspended by the NCAA for performance drug violation, you lose that year of eligibility, and can’t use it as a redshirt year.

Even if he does retain that year of eligibility, many players who went thru the COVID year are showing themselves as the year of eligibility they would normally be (without the COVID year) and determining later on if they want to use the extra year of eligibility. Unless that player is getting a lot of NIL $, I expect most players to start moving on instead of using that extra COVID year of eligibility. 

• TBH 1
On 7/24/2023 at 2:39 PM, Undone said:

I guess nobody wanted to discuss that Sports Illustrated article that M.A. posted above. Maybe most people had already read it.

In that article you have Boyd Epley stating that Frost "underutilized" the NAPL sports lab that he had at his disposal. Not a bombshell comment but also still noteworthy. Then you have the new staff being excited about its potential and talking about their methods for being on the bleeding edge of maximizing performance & limiting injuries.

I don't really know how you get much of an advantage these days outside of the strong use of PED's, but you at least can't be underperforming in strength & conditioning.

Leadership has to maximize the effectiveness of all areas of the organization. It seems that the strength and conditioning staff takes more of an individualized approach. There's an appreciation for what each player's needs are to perform at their highest levels as well an awareness that there are differences in athletes with respect to recovery. Then that is blended in with nutrition and mental aspects of sport. 

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Rumors floating that Teddy got hurt again.  Sounds like a leg but no indication of the severity.

Thought it was apparently minor but that he has been limited. Teddy could seriously be a guy who may never play any productive football here. Unfortunate as we need him. 

• Plus1 5

47 minutes ago, Decked said:

The scary thing is..it remains to be seen if the help is coming. 

Say Teddy is limited all season and then either Corcoran or Benhart go down, who plays OT?

I think Scott has played there some at ASU.  But then its the true freshmen unless there are some walkons that could be serviceable.

We need 2 out of Gottula, Goldman, and Knutson to hit.

And damn you Walter Rouse!

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Say Teddy is limited all season and then either Corcoran or Benhart go down, who plays OT?

I think Scott has played there some at ASU.  But then its the true freshmen unless there are some walkons that could be serviceable.

We need 2 out of Gottula, Goldman, and Knutson to hit.

And damn you Walter Rouse!

Maybe Knaak?

I know I am way more optimistic than any sane person following Nebraska football would be, but I'm hopeful Corcoran and Benhart can turn a corner. They are talented and have flashed some good play, albeit very rarely. They are saying all the things I was hoping to hear about the S&C work though, focusing on flexibility and being able to actually move. It would not shock me if they are solid starters this year with a different S&C focus, another year with an OL coach they clearly love, and a different scheme.

Also would not shock me if they are who we thought they were. But I'm hopeful.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Maybe Knaak?

I know I am way more optimistic than any sane person following Nebraska football would be, but I'm hopeful Corcoran and Benhart can turn a corner. They are talented and have flashed some good play, albeit very rarely. They are saying all the things I was hoping to hear about the S&C work though, focusing on flexibility and being able to actually move. It would not shock me if they are solid starters this year with a different S&C focus, another year with an OL coach they clearly love, and a different scheme.

Also would not shock me if they are who we thought they were. But I'm hopeful.

I’m not trying to be that guy but not only were Benhart & Turner the two worst tackles according to PFF in the big ten they were some of the worst in power five. They are going to have to go a long ways to be even average. Have to hope that the scheme, coaching familiarly with Donnie, & improved S&C help them a lot. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Decked said:

I’m not trying to be that guy but not only were Benhart & Turner the two worst tackles according to PFF in the big ten they were some of the worst in power five. They are going to have to go a long ways to be even average. Have to hope that the scheme, coaching familiarly with Donnie, & improved S&C help them a lot. 

Benhart was well below average but not the very bottom according to PFF last year IIRC. They did grade Corcoran as the very worst tackle and I think like bottom 3 overall Big Ten OL. In very limited action Teddy has not graded much better. It's going to take a huge leap no matter who is playing - and FWIW regarding Rouse, he had a worse PFF pass blocking grade than Benhart last year (although a better one over his career).

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Benhart was well below average but not the very bottom according to PFF last year IIRC. They did grade Corcoran as the very worst tackle and I think like bottom 3 overall Big Ten OL. In very limited action Teddy has not graded much better. It's going to take a huge leap no matter who is playing - and FWIW regarding Rouse, he had a worse PFF pass blocking grade than Benhart last year (although a better one over his career).

Well, it will be interesting to see what the change in S@C does for them.