Transfer Szn 2023

30 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Well, maybe.

Still no word on Kesei(though it seems to be trending the right way).

Breidenbach/Wilcher still seem like up in the air.

We are still pursuing transfers: Sallis(G), Hugley(C), McCollum(PG), Wrightsell(G) and Freshman: Brady Dunlap(F)

Wouldnt be shocked if we saw some turnover still.

If we only have two slots I would prefer Hugley and Sallis. My main concern with that would be who is our PG, so part of me leans to McCollum but its hard to pass up on a legit center and Sallis.

I would be fine if Briedenbach and Wilcher were gone and we got the first 4 on your list. 

• Plus1 1

Mast is legit.  The comparisons to Wilhelm should end at the fact that they are both white, play basketball, should be a PF type and that they both now play for nebraska...

This guy has a chance to be a better version of walker...Bradley kind of used him right, maybe not a point forward, but scorer/facilitator who's got a big10 body...

This is a sneaky good pick up.  Not crazy to think he could be a 15 & 7 guy with 3ish assist a game in the B1G 

3 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Well, maybe.

Still no word on Kesei(though it seems to be trending the right way).

Breidenbach/Wilcher still seem like up in the air.

We are still pursuing transfers: Sallis(G), Hugley(C), McCollum(PG), Wrightsell(G) and Freshman: Brady Dunlap(F)

Wouldnt be shocked if we saw some turnover still.

If we only have two slots I would prefer Hugley and Sallis. My main concern with that would be who is our PG, so part of me leans to McCollum but its hard to pass up on a legit center and Sallis.

There are times I scratch my head when you post comments out of the north 40.  

1.  The portal closes May 11th if they qualify for immediate eligibility.  After the 11th, players have to sit or get a waiver.  I will agree that Wilcher & Briedenbach were not good this last year, but it is getting late for anyone to jump in the portal. 

2.  Kesei is the only logical possible departure.  

3.  We have 2 point guards who did not play last year & Sallis will only come here if he can play the point.

4.  Sallis is Hoiberg's #1

2 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

There are times I scratch my head when you post comments out of the north 40.  

1.  The portal closes May 11th if they qualify for immediate eligibility.  After the 11th, players have to sit or get a waiver.  I will agree that Wilcher & Briedenbach were not good this last year, but it is getting late for anyone to jump in the portal. 

2.  Kesei is the only logical possible departure.  

3.  We have 2 point guards who did not play last year & Sallis will only come here if he can play the point.

4.  Sallis is Hoiberg's #1

1. I am not saying they would leave but as we find players who will take minutes it isnt out of the blue. 

2. Sometimes the departures dont need to be logical for them to happen. 

3. If you honestly think we have a true PG currently on this team, then I am concerned for you. Unless you have some quote to back up your comment about Sallis only coming here to play the point, I am not buying what you are putting down. 

4. Well duh. 

4 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

1. I am not saying they would leave but as we find players who will take minutes it isnt out of the blue. 

2. Sometimes the departures dont need to be logical for them to happen. 

3. If you honestly think we have a true PG currently on this team, then I am concerned for you. Unless you have some quote to back up your comment about Sallis only coming here to play the point, I am not buying what you are putting down. 

4. Well duh. 

We have players listed as pg that did not play year.  You must watch the practices, since you know so much!!! 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We have players listed as pg that did not play year.  You must watch the practices, since you know so much!!! 

I assume you are talking about Ramel Lloyd or Quaran McPherson?

Quaran is honestly a guy I thought would transfer. I have heard very little either way on him and seems to be a project guy. 

Seems like Ramel Lloyd has impressed a lot of people while he redshirted. He might have an opportunity to be more like Griesel, he has the body of more of a wing/off-guard. Does he have the ball handling skills to bring it up and work the offense without a guy like Walker to help out?

The issue with him is experience. I am not sure you can trust him or Quaran to be your starting PG in the B1G without any real college experience. 

Can either mature in to that, sure? But I think this is where you have to look at depth and experience. Let those guys grow into the role. We need someone who can help work the offense. My concern with Sallis being that guy is also experience but he obviously has a ton of talent. 

And no, I dont watch practices. I am going off what those who do say. It is all speculation and a lot of my opinion. I trust Fred and the coaches and so whomever they land, I trust they have a plan. 

Its April and fun to speculate. 

2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I assume you are talking about Ramel Lloyd or Quaran McPherson?

Quaran is honestly a guy I thought would transfer. I have heard very little either way on him and seems to be a project guy. 

Seems like Ramel Lloyd has impressed a lot of people while he redshirted. He might have an opportunity to be more like Griesel, he has the body of more of a wing/off-guard. Does he have the ball handling skills to bring it up and work the offense without a guy like Walker to help out?

The issue with him is experience. I am not sure you can trust him or Quaran to be your starting PG in the B1G without any real college experience. 

Can either mature in to that, sure? But I think this is where you have to look at depth and experience. Let those guys grow into the role. We need someone who can help work the offense. My concern with Sallis being that guy is also experience but he obviously has a ton of talent. 

And no, I dont watch practices. I am going off what those who do say. It is all speculation and a lot of my opinion. I trust Fred and the coaches and so whomever they land, I trust they have a plan. 

Its April and fun to speculate. 

It sounded like McPherson would have been the backup point last season if he hadn't blown out his knee, so I have him penciled in as the starting PG unless they bring someone else in to play the point.

I agree that they need someone with experience.  Look at Purdue, they had two Freshmen starting at the 1 & 2 and it really hurt them at the end of the season - both the regular season and the NCAA's.

13 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

This answers one question

I honestly thought he has more skill then Rienk Mast so that's a bummer that he is going somewhere else.  Nebraska basketball has lacked in recruiting high school guys.  Yes I know he is a transfer but just saying Nebraska relies on transfers too much.  We are more of plug and play program rn which I think hurts the development of having long term success.  The development of developing guys definitely has hurt Fred Hoiberg tenure here.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I honestly thought he has more skill then Rienk Mast so that's a bummer that he is going somewhere else.  Nebraska basketball has lacked in recruiting high school guys.  Yes I know he is a transfer but just saying Nebraska relies on transfers too much.  We are more of plug and play program rn which I think hurts the development of having long term success.  The development of developing guys definitely has hurt Fred Hoiberg tenure here.

Mast fits Hoibergs offense better.  He rebounds, he has good court vision & he scores inside & out.  There are a lot of teams filling spots with the portal.  Get use to it, NIL has changed college sport.  With only 13 scholarships & HS recruits who leave if they don't see the minutes they think they deserve, it's better to fill gaps with the portal.

2 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Mast fits Hoibergs offense better.  He rebounds, he has good court vision & he scores inside & out.  There are a lot of teams filling spots with the portal.  Get use to it, NIL has changed college sport.  With only 13 scholarships & HS recruits who leave if they don't see the minutes they think they deserve, it's better to fill gaps with the portal.

I understand why he is filling the team with portal guys, just when your 40-83 here your formula for success isn't working.  Your lack of developing is key to long term success.  You can bring guys into play which he has but the cohesive to play as a winning team is hard.  It usually takes transfer along time to get accumulated to their environment to feel comfortable.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I honestly thought he has more skill then Rienk Mast so that's a bummer that he is going somewhere else.

Mast has way less question marks than Hugley.

Hugley has played 1 full season and 2 quarter seasons in his time at Pitt.

He only played 7 games in 2020-21 due to being suspended and kicked off campus from 3 felony charges related to a stolen car (charged were later dropped).

He only played 8 games in 2022-23 (none past mid-January) due to injury and mental health reasons.

• Plus1 1