The Walking Dead

Haven't watched last nights episode yet, wife worked late.

My suggestion for those not enjoying the show as much or at all, read the source material.   Honestly, I think it makes the show 100x better.  Maybe I'm wrong, have to ask The Dude.  I watched the first 2 seasons and started reading the graphic novel.  Since then, I have really appreciated thr show a lot more.  When it feels like arcs are being drawn out, there is typically a reason and the comic can usually shed some light on why.  Honestly it doesn't ruin the show like i initially assumed it would, sure the story tends to mirror the comic but tweaked.  It actually makes it more fun seeing how they differ and how one medium translates to the other.

If anyone is interested, I can direct you towards a free way to read said comic.

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

My suggestion for those not enjoying the show as much or at all, read the source material.   Honestly, I think it makes the show 100x better.  Maybe I'm wrong, have to ask The Dude.  I watched the first 2 seasons and started reading the graphic novel.  Since then, I have really appreciated thr show a lot more.  When it feels like arcs are being drawn out, there is typically a reason and the comic can usually shed some light on why.  Honestly it doesn't ruin the show like i initially assumed it would, sure the story tends to mirror the comic but tweaked.  It actually makes it more fun seeing how they differ and how one medium translates to the other.

If anyone is interested, I can direct you towards a free way to read said comic.

I'd be interested in the free way.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

The only time the show almost lost me was in season 4 (or 5?) where they just wandered through the woods for an entire season.

Yeah overall I'd say reading the book has made me appreciate the show more.   I didn't really look at it as an epic until I read the book, and the whole thing just makes a lot more sense to me now.

In some ways though it seems like they cut story lines for no good reason and the show writers kind of paint themselves into a corner with plot holes.  Like Eugene's munitions factory.   In the book we know why Rick's side has stockpiles of ammo, and we know the Saviors don't have that much, so they have to get a little creative.  On the show it's been a hail of bullets for 3 episodes and no explanation of where it's coming from.  Without putting Eugene's ingenuity to good use, I just end up wondering why they introduced the character in the first place.

• Plus1 1

On 11/8/2017 at 2:24 AM, The Dude said:

Yeah overall I'd say reading the book has made me appreciate the show more.   I didn't really look at it as an epic until I read the book, and the whole thing just makes a lot more sense to me now.

In some ways though it seems like they cut story lines for no good reason and the show writers kind of paint themselves into a corner with plot holes.  Like Eugene's munitions factory.   In the book we know why Rick's side has stockpiles of ammo, and we know the Saviors don't have that much, so they have to get a little creative.  On the show it's been a hail of bullets for 3 episodes and no explanation of where it's coming from.  Without putting Eugene's ingenuity to good use, I just end up wondering why they introduced the character in the first place.

Agree, have been waiting for the ammo factory to come into play.  He makes one bullet and then nothing else.  Now he defects kind of maybe?  Idlk, with where he is in the comic I expected him to have progressed on the show a little more.  Writers must have some arc in mind.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Dude said:

So this season has been totally awesome.

I think Negan, Ezekiel, and Gregory are all better characters in the show than the comic.

Seems like Maggie is a glorified extra now, though.

I say this having not seen last Sunday's episode as of yet.   But the lack of Coral  has also helped this season.   I can't imagine they kill him, but I despise him on the show.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:30 PM, Redux said:

THANK YOU!!    It's great getting caught up again.  I was thinking I was going to have to have a major order on Amazon to catch up.  I'll go back to buying them again once current, this is great to help me catch up.  Appreciate it!

• Plus1 1

This weeks episode was freaking awesome.

Gabriel, Ezekiel are def better on the show.  Negan, man Idk.  I am a huge Negan fan on both show and comic so I can't rank them yet.

Interesting they threw a helicopter cameo in, I wonder if that is some sort of nod to the newest story arc in the comic.

Edited by Redux
  • 2 weeks later...