Gun Control

Roark

New gun legislation isn't going to cure mass shootings.

However, if it reduces the risk significantly, shouldn't it be implemented?

If gun murders go down from say 12,000 a year to 5,000 a year... can that be called progress? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

If gun murders go down from say 12,000 a year to 5,000 a year... can that be called progress? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

Yes.

(Depending on the extent of the legislation of course.)

Yes.

(Depending on the extent of the legislation of course.)

You would hope that number would drop, but what if it only drops a slight amount? It's going to make the anti-gun crowd look like jackasses, but I'm sure they'll find a way to spin it to make it sound like they're making a difference...

You would hope that number would drop, but what if it only drops a slight amount?

Again, IMO it would depend on the extent of the legislation. If we're talking large and potentially onerous changes that only slightly reduce risks . . . then I'm not interested. (I don't think background checks for all sales qualifies as large and potentially onerous . . . and neither did the NRA until recently. Of course now they say "DOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!" but that speaks more towards the radicalization of the American right than anything else.)

The anti-gun crowd already looked like jackasses with the last assault weapons ban. Toothless, ineffective, and stupid.

• Fire 2

Finally got my hands on some .22 ammo. Yippee!

What do you have in mind?

Long list of companies that believe in the 2nd amendment. They are refusing to sell firearms or parts to anyone in one in cities or states that are creating laws in contrast to the 2nd amendment. This includes LEO's and govt agencies.

http://www.thepoliceloophole.com/

More evidence of the radicalization of the gun lobby. I (for the sake of my own right to own guns) hope that they don't end up so extremist that they are marginalized. The GOP seems to have fallen into this trap but that doesn't mean that otherwise sensible gun owners have to follow them into history.

I just hope my AR-15 gets here in June before all these changes happen. Don't think it'll be that soon, but they'll get something taken away on some level. I can't get my hands on any .223 right now...............I tried to order some for our department the other day, it'll be a year before we get it, if we're lucky. Thankfully we have some in reserve just for this reason.

Long list of companies that believe in the 2nd amendment. They are refusing to sell firearms or parts to anyone in one in cities or states that are creating laws in contrast to the 2nd amendment. This includes LEO's and govt agencies.

http://www.thepoliceloophole.com/

More evidence of the radicalization of the gun lobby. I (for the sake of my own right to own guns) hope that they don't end up so extremist that they are marginalized. The GOP seems to have fallen into this trap but that doesn't mean that otherwise sensible gun owners have to follow them into history.

Really do not think it is radicalization. I think it is that some companies are now trying to send a message that they will not do business with states that infringe on the right to bear arms. I actually admire them for sacrificing the all mighty dollar in an attempt to make a statement.

No different than Magpul pulling out of Colorado. Or banks refusing to do business (B of A) with companies dealing in firearms (McMillian IIRC and at least one more). Or Moleskine (paper company) not doing business for any firearms companies.

Just because a business entity takes a "conservative" approach does not mean it is any more "radical" than the banks or other companies.

Texas and Mississippi are now courting companies to move there that are engaged in the firearms trade.

I also think that it is quickly becoming such a polarizing issue that people won't have a choice but to choose sides. Pro-gun or anti-gun. No middle ground. One "extreme" or the other.

I just hope my AR-15 gets here in June before all these changes happen. Don't think it'll be that soon, but they'll get something taken away on some level. I can't get my hands on any .223 right now...............I tried to order some for our department the other day, it'll be a year before we get it, if we're lucky. Thankfully we have some in reserve just for this reason.

Why do you need an AR-15?

I thought BRI was a desk jockey. If he's in SWAT or something I could see why he might need an AR-15, but if he's patrolling the streets, he doesn't need this:

ar15002.jpg

I hope you're joking when you say I don't need an AR-15 to patrol the streets? If you aren't joking you need to explain to me why I don't need such a thing considering the nature of my job. Yes, I'll be using it for work................yes, I WAS on SWAT, but it doesn't matter if you are a SWAT officer or not. Every patrol car should have an AR-15 in it and I'm not getting into a debate as to why. Do the job and then folks will understand why we need them.

I thought BRI was a desk jockey. If he's in SWAT or something I could see why he might need an AR-15, but if he's patrolling the streets, he doesn't need this:

ar15002.jpg

I hope you're joking when you say I don't need an AR-15 to patrol the streets? If you aren't joking you need to explain to me why I don't need such a thing considering the nature of my job. Yes, I'll be using it for work................yes, I WAS on SWAT, but it doesn't matter if you are a SWAT officer or not. Every patrol car should have an AR-15 in it and I'm not getting into a debate as to why. Do the job and then folks will understand why we need them.

I thought most cars had something along the lines of an AR-15 in them now. I know a big push for them to replace shotguns took place after the Cali bank robbers who had body armor years ago. I would hope a gang banger wouldn't have the option of being better armed than the police.