Huskers Trend Downward in B1G Competition (All Sports)

With a handful of key sports still in-season (baseball, softball, track and field), Nebraska ranks 10th among 14 Big Ten schools in terms of average conference finish. NU's 6.92 finish is just ahead of No. 11 Northwestern.

Of the 13 sports completed, 12 Husker teams finished either the same or worse than last season.
This isn't the apocalypse. Nebraska athletics obviously remain strong in far too many areas to mention. The amount of energy, passion and resources that go into the programs ensures continued success.
That said, it's easy to imagine Nebraska finishing 2014-15 with only one Big Ten championship, in men's indoor track. Gary Pepin, in his 35th season as Husker men's and women's coach, deserves a lengthy round of applause.
Bottom line, there is no way Nebraska ever would be satisfied with 10th in the league's average-finish standings, where Michigan (4.00), Wisconsin (4.86) and Ohio State (5.00) are the top three schools.
Nebraska, during its first three years in the Big Ten, finished tied for sixth in 2011-12 (5.76), sixth in 2012-13 (5.57) and fifth in 2013-14 (5.29). Those finishes were acceptable.

LJS

As long as football is good I couldn't care less..

I'm actually being serious here when I ask you what is your definition of good? We haven't had a conference championship since 1999 and have been ending the season barely making the top 25 the past several years and didn't even make it last year.

Despite the fall I still love rooting for my Huskers. All of the teams.

I really am tired of Nebraska being average or mediocre in football, basketball, and baseball. I was 11 years old when Nebraska won it's last conference championship in football. Now I'm 27 years old... Nebraska needs to end this awful streak.

Don't get your hopes up. NU is a good 5 years away from being on the level of OSU. Everyone in the conference is.

I really am tired of Nebraska being average or mediocre in football, basketball, and baseball. I was 11 years old when Nebraska won it's last conference championship in football. Now I'm 27 years old... Nebraska needs to end this awful streak.

Don't get your hopes up. NU is a good 5 years away from being on the level of OSU. Everyone in the conference is.

No we're not. And no, everyone else isnt either. Dont let a 3 game flurry when they got hot cloud your judgment that Ohio St is all a sudden some god like unbeatable team. Theyre not. They have their flaws like anyone else. Got taken to the wire by Minnesota and Indiana right before those three games.

Seems like we said that 5 years ago.

• Fire 1

No we're not. And no, everyone else isn't either. Don't let a 3 game flurry when they got hot cloud your judgment that Ohio St is all a sudden some god like unbeatable team. They're not. They have their flaws like anyone else. Got taken to the wire by Minnesota and Indiana right before those three games.

It's arguable. Especially considering they had someone different leading the team during those different sets of games. As of right now, there is no reason to think that they will take a step back ward considering how many pieces they return.

Every talking head/retired coach says your team, no matter who you root for, depends solely on your quarterback. Seasons are won or lost due to QB play. Ohio State has three that could start anywhere in the country, we struggle to have one that can sniff those shoes.

Big Coach Riley fan, but to think we are close to Ohio State at any level is homerisim, nothing more. I do not see it magically narrowing over the next 3, 5, or 10 years. I see us being able to play with them, but seldom if ever being the favorite, unless Coach Riley can pull some great QB's into Nebraska. Not saying he can or can't, but those expecting a giant surge by Nebraska are looking through Rose tinted glasses. I want to, but I need to see some magic happen before I can fathom that kind of thinking.

Steps have been taken to improve Nebraska, but 15 years have gone by since we were truly Nebraska. It happens, but normally it is with a top end QB.

I think Coach Riley gets it done, but he needs a QB to fit his system/or new system. I do not see him forcing a square peg in a round hole.

I am excited to see how he approaches our unique situation, but I think he accepts as an opportunity not an anchor.

• Fire 3

Every talking head/retired coach says your team, no matter who you root for, depends solely on your quarterback. Seasons are won or lost due to QB play. Ohio State has three that could start anywhere in the country, we struggle to have one that can sniff those shoes.

Big Coach Riley fan, but to think we are close to Ohio State at any level is homerisim, nothing more. I do not see it magically narrowing over the next 3, 5, or 10 years. I see us being able to play with them, but seldom if ever being the favorite, unless Coach Riley can pull some great QB's into Nebraska. Not saying he can or can't, but those expecting a giant surge by Nebraska are looking through Rose tinted glasses. I want to, but I need to see some magic happen before I can fathom that kind of thinking.

Steps have been taken to improve Nebraska, but 15 years have gone by since we were truly Nebraska. It happens, but normally it is with a top end QB.

I think Coach Riley gets it done, but he needs a QB to fit his system/or new system. I do not see him forcing a square peg in a round hole.

I am excited to see how he approaches our unique situation, but I think he accepts as an opportunity not an anchor.

Exactly.

I've been preaching this for a little bit in another thread. It all starts at QB. Until we find one that executes his offensive system at even a remotely high level, why would Nebraska fans expect to compete with Ohio St. for a Conference or National title?

It won't happen.

The expectations remain high, and they should, but there's no reason to believe we will be that team until we get the Quarterback spot figured out. If it were clear that the guy was on our roster, maybe it would be reasonable, but after that spring game I think its obvious Tommy has not taken the steps forward that erase the doubt.

Now, I've also said for a long time that Nebraska is the second most talented team in this conference. I said it last season at this same time. I still believe we are right there but its obvious there is a large talent gap between Ohio St. and the second tier of this conference.