Mavric

Huskers Add Kurt Warner's Son as Walk-On WR

swmohusker    669

Really helps with us only signing 3 wrs instead of 4 or 5. Tape looks solid. Good size that runs through contact and has great hands. I would bet this kid becomes a player for us down the road

swmohusker    669

How cool to have Miles, KJJ sr, and Warners kids in the same class. Add Rick spielman from last class and you have some collective football swag

spurs1990    608

Asked this in another spot too, but what is a preferred walk-on? Just more likely to get a scholarship? Seems kind of pointless if another walk-on out performs them.

TonyStalloni    565

Asked this in another spot too, but what is a preferred walk-on? Just more likely to get a scholarship? Seems kind of pointless if another walk-on out performs them.

I could be wrong but I always understood it to mean if the recruit achieved a certain performance level by their soph or jr year they would get a scholarship over a new recruit whereas a regular walk on rarely gets one by their jr year and only if there is a scollie to give out left over by someone else leaving.

NUinID    656

I believe it means that have a spot on the 105 when fall camp starts.

Sargon    357

Whoa. Riley better cash in, and I expect he will, on the dad-power the team has now. Kurt, KJ and Les....that's a USC-esque list.

NU....the school where players can rub elbows with and learn from giants. Many of our staff and former players ain't chopped liver either.

I hope Kade has enough speed to get it done. Not sure but we'll see soon enough. Anyone have a verified electronic time? I've not seen any.

Atbone95    1,175

Whoa. Riley better cash in, and I expect he will, on the dad-power the team has now. Kurt, KJ and Les....that's a USC-esque list.

NU....the school where players can rub elbows with and learn from giants. Many of our staff and former players ain't chopped liver either.

I hope Kade has enough speed to get it done. Not sure but we'll see soon enough. Anyone have a verified electronic time? I've not seen any.

ScottyIce    1,800

If that is his legit 40 time, I can't imagine this guy not being a playmaker for us down the road.

ScottyIce    1,800

I know this is a little off topic,

But didn't Kurt warner have another child that passed away or something at a young age? I feel like their was a big story about him during Kurts prime playing years in the NFL. Could've been a different QB though i suppose.

obert1    128

I know this is a little off topic,

But didn't Kurt warner have another child that passed away or something at a young age? I feel like their was a big story about him during Kurts prime playing years in the NFL. Could've been a different QB though i suppose.

I don't think his son passed away, just has severe brain injury/handicapped. If I remember it was something with the birth father and the injury.

HuskermanMike    315

For a walk on this kid has some good highlights. He has a quick first step and runs like we wants the ball in his hands. A good trait I see out of this kid is he catches the ball and holds on to it well. His hand are great so I would not mind throwing it up to this kid in a few years. I see this kid contributing mid 2018 to early 2019 if he works his tail off.

Edison's Enemy    448

Lenzie Jackson out of Arizona State ran that slow and he fielded kickoffs in the NFL, stuck around on an NFL roster in some shape or form for three years before hitting up arena football.

Also: Jerry Rice and Anquan Boldin ran 4.7.

In no way am I saying Warner will do that or he's as good. I'm just saying 40 times aren't the be all end all to playing football.

Nebfanatic    835

Just because his athleticism may be walk on level does not mean his ball skills and football iq are on that level. I see this kid as an absolute steal as a walk on.

MyBloodIsRed16    198

His Hudl (which has started partnering with Nike on verified testing scores) lists a 4.51.

I'm not buying it. Even playing against lesser skill levels you make an offer to a kid who is 6'2 200 lbs runs a 4.5 and is the son of a hall of famer. Something isn't adding up. You would think even the Purdue's or the IU's of the world would make an offer.....or his hometown school

The Dude    6,624

Not worried about him having no offers. Pops was bagging groceries at HyVee before his big break, and we all know how that turned out.

DrunkOffPunch    544

His Hudl (which has started partnering with Nike on verified testing scores) lists a 4.51.

His time would have a green Nike swoosh next to it if it was verified by Nike.

Don't really care either way. 40 time is overrated.

GBRFAN    415

I'm not buying it. Even playing against lesser skill levels you make an offer to a kid who is 6'2 200 lbs runs a 4.5 and is the son of a hall of famer. Something isn't adding up. You would think even the Purdue's or the IU's of the world would make an offer.....or his hometown school

When you figure it out - let us know.... Until then we are going to be excited for the prospect!!! If you look at his resume alot points upward

MyBloodIsRed16    198

When you figure it out - let us know.... Until then we are going to be excited for the prospect!!! If you look at his resume alot points upward

Not saying I'm not happy to have him, I just think it's weird with those numbers he has no offers

This is why so many fans are always disappointed in our team. The expectations are too high. Look at this situation. Some guys think this kid is going to be big time. He's from Arizona. His own FCS school, Northern Arizona, didn't even want him. He got one FCS offer and that's it. Let's cool our jets here.

This is why so many fans are always disappointed in our team. The expectations are too high. Look at this situation. Some guys think this kid is going to be big time. He's from Arizona. His own FCS school, Northern Arizona, didn't even want him. He got one FCS offer and that's it. Let's cool our jets here.

Serviceable as a WR, but if he adds size he could be a good HB/TE

MyBloodIsRed16    198

Serviceable as a WR, but if he adds size he could be a good HB/TE
Seems Riley likes taller TE more in the 6'5 + range.

ScottyIce    1,800

I get that. BUT, why did so many big time programs want him as a walk-on then? Just to say, hey we got Warners kid, zippity do Dah? I mean, he obviously has some flaws, but he must have enough talent where he could help the team out in 2-3 years.

Nebfanatic    835

I get that. BUT, why did so many big time programs want him as a walk-on then? Just to say, hey we got Warners kid, zippity do Dah? I mean, he obviously has some flaws, but he must have enough talent where he could help the team out in 2-3 years.

And he is clearly a top end talent as a walk on player. No one is saying we should have given him a scholarship, but this guy is still a great land as a flyer guy. If he doesn't pan out oh well no harm no foul, and if he does you get a hard working, solid player down the road. He isn't going to win the bilitnikof award but I could see him catching a key 3rd down pass against Wisconsin his senior year.

84HuskerLaw    517

I would not beat all surprised if I learned that Kurt Warner has a big influence of his son's football playing / school decision thinking. It would not surprise me that a walk on would be just fine (I am sure Dad can afford to pay some tuition, etc - he made many millions). They may well have narrowed their choices of schools / football programs and coaches, etc to a very short list of ones that fit Kurt's idea of what is best for his son. Why wouldn't he?

A scholarship is a commitment of sorts by both player and coach. Riley has some kind of reasonably positive reputation in the football world obviously (K. Johnson, Miles, Spielman, etc as we have already made good note of and now with Warner). Nebraska has a good national reputation as being a place where both football and education and an overall positive expereince is important. We have never been in serious NCAA trouble and historically our coaches have been very responsible and postive mentors generally for our players. Of course not every former Husker can say he had a wonderful experience and absolutely no regrests. That is impossible to expect. But the vast majority of former players have pretty fond memories and assuming they gave their best efforts and made good choices, they results of being a Husker student athlete were very rewarding. This ought not be surprising although it is quite refreshing and encouraging to see this kind of postive brand recognition and acceptance by some pretty 'big' names within the insiders of big time football (college and pro).

Go Big Red!

CheeseHusker    351

Am I the only one who still thinks of Curt Warner instead of Kurt Warner when I hear somebody speak the name?

Still haunted by that '82 Penn State game I guess.