LJS: Mazour Flashes Do-It-All Skill Set

Nebraska never pursued in-state star Danny Woodhead, who dominated the Division II college football world at Chadron State. Luckily, Mike Riley and the Huskers may have a do-it-all back in Wyatt Mazour.

The sophomore from Albion earned the "Danny Woodhead" nickname from Riley in the spring and led the White offense with four catches for 78 yards, while adding two carries for 4 yards.

Switching to the Red team in the second half, Mazour led that offense with 57 yards on four carries and a touchdown.

“It was busy today, but I'm glad,” Mazour said. “After last season and spending most of the season just watching, it was really hard for me. It was really nice to get out their with my brothers and show what I got.”

Mazour moved up on the depth chart last season, expecting to travel to Indiana and play on the special teams unit before a concussion in practice caused him to miss the trip and eventually ended his season.

The extra time allowed Mazour to hit the weight room, jumping from 180 pounds to 196 at the beginning of spring practice, and allowed him to focus mentally.

LJS

• Fire 1

Nebraska never pursued in-state star Danny Woodhead, who dominated the Division II college football world at Chadron State. Luckily, Mike Riley and the Huskers may have a do-it-all back in Wyatt Mazour.

The sophomore from Albion earned the "Danny Woodhead" nickname from Riley in the spring and led the White offense with four catches for 78 yards, while adding two carries for 4 yards.

Switching to the Red team in the second half, Mazour led that offense with 57 yards on four carries and a touchdown.

It was busy today, but I'm glad, Mazour said. After last season and spending most of the season just watching, it was really hard for me. It was really nice to get out their with my brothers and show what I got.

Mazour moved up on the depth chart last season, expecting to travel to Indiana and play on the special teams unit before a concussion in practice caused him to miss the trip and eventually ended his season.

The extra time allowed Mazour to hit the weight room, jumping from 180 pounds to 196 at the beginning of spring practice, and allowed him to focus mentally.

LJS

Uh oh.

In all seriousness though, Mazour really surprised me today. He looks like he could end up being a great asset to the team.

It was busy today, but I'm glad, Mazour said. After last season and spending most of the season just watching, it was really hard for me. It was really nice to get out their with my brothers and show what I got.

LJS

Uh oh.

In all seriousness though, Mazour really surprised me today. He looks like he could end up being a great asset to the team.

Definitely. Sure, he's not an every-down back. Don't need him to be. We should bring him into the rotation and use him like we *should* have used Woodhead. It'll give B10 DCs fits trying to get their LBs to keep track of him! :lol:

LJS

Uh oh.

Definitely. Sure, he's not an every-down back. Don't need him to be. We should bring him into the rotation and use him like we *should* have used Woodhead. It'll give B10 DCs fits trying to get their LBs to keep track of him! :lol:

That, and I think he'll be very good on special teams, both in the return game and in coverage.

• Fire 1

@NUANCE @CDog,

True on both points. But will he actually see the field in the fall?

Or, will he play in one game, then disappear the rest of the season as has been the usual? (For RBs in general the last two years, not just him this season.)

He is being compared to Danny Woodhead, so by golly Mike will find a way to put him on the field.

@NUANCE @CDog,

Or, will he play in one game, then disappear the rest of the season as has been the usual? (For RBs in general the last two years, not just him this season.)

He is being compared to Danny Woodhead, so by golly Mike will find a way to put him on the field.

Maybe he compared them by the fact that neither will every play a down for Nebraska. JK!! Kid will find a role and when his opportunity presents itself he will be ready for it.

• Fire 1

@NUANCE @CDog,

Maybe he compared them by the fact that neither will every play a down for Nebraska. JK!! Kid will find a role and when his opportunity presents itself he will be ready for it.

I had to give you a +1 for that...it was legit funny.

• Fire 1

• 2 months later...