Mavric

Board Forum Reorginazation

Mavric    9,128

Working on doing a little reorganization. Hoping it will make things easier to access. And move some of the busier forums to a more prominent position.

Let us know what you think.

NM11046    1,809

Old folks know this - but may be worth a slight update for newcomers ...

"Recruiting" is just FB (other sports have recruiting within their headers) Perhaps just add "Football Recruiting"?

knapplc    17,788

I like the changes. P&R as a stand-alone forum isn't something that ever seemed necessary, but it works. I like putting Plan-it Husker & the Classifieds inside the shell of the Lounge. That also makes sense.

I agree with NM - Recruiting should be "Football Recruiting," since that's the only sports' recruiting it focuses on.

B.B. Hemingway    1,463

It's not a big deal, but has annoyed me since day one joining the board, every 'HB' icon next to the categories has a football in front of it.....

Landlord    7,375

The board reorganizing is fine, but I think less threads that are nothing more than twitter feeds of the same info would be way more useful personally!

Mavric    9,128

It's not a big deal, but has annoyed me since day one joining the board, every 'HB' icon next to the categories has a football in front of it.....

That's an interesting point. It would be kind of cool for each one to have their own icon. But I have no idea what would go into that or where to get the other icons. I'd have to do some checking.

admo    852

Hey, not bad.

Now could you do something about the running game? :P;)

Saunders    5,843

The board reorganizing is fine, but I think less threads that are nothing more than twitter feeds of the same info would be way more useful personally!

Are you referring to the "Fall Camp Updates" threads that are position specific? They can be a bit cumbersome, but I think it helps keep talk of positions focused. Once the season starts, they drop off in a hurry.

Landlord    7,375

Those are certainly part of it.

I've been vocal about this before and don't mean it personally, but I don't understand Mav's style of making dozens of threads and filling them up with just tweets. It's cluttered, and it doesn't drive great content. I already have a twitter feed. I come to huskerboard to shoot the sh#t with huskerboard members.

Like, I don't think we need separate threads for Fall Camp News & Notes, Fall Camp 105 Man Roster, Every Post Practice Presser, Fall Camp Schedule, Body Cameras at Fall Camp, in addition to about 10 position threads, injuries, so on and so forth, with the driving force of content not actually being conversation but tweets.

Just my opinion that it detracts from conversation and is unnecessary.

Enhance    3,118

To play Devil's Advocate, we have several members who aren't in tune with social media. They may find benefit in those types of threads. The most recent post practice presser thread from Aug. 5th has 792 views and 18 comments at the time of this post, for example.

That said, I'm all about brevity. If the same type of thread is being posted regularly when it could easily go in a conglomerate thread, I think that's a fair critique.

B.B. Hemingway    1,463

I've been vocal about this before and don't mean it personally, but I don't understand Mav's style of making dozens of threads and filling them up with just tweets. It's cluttered, and it doesn't drive great content. I already have a twitter feed. I come to huskerboard to shoot the sh#t with huskerboard members.

Like, I don't think we need separate threads for Fall Camp News & Notes, Fall Camp 105 Man Roster, Every Post Practice Presser, Fall Camp Schedule, Body Cameras at Fall Camp, in addition to about 10 position threads, injuries, so on and so forth, with the driving force of content not actually being conversation but tweets.

I hate to criticize Mav, because he brings a TON of great content too the board.... but, I agree with this ^^ Consolidation wouldn't be the worst thing, especially in the "Husker Football" forum.

admo    852

Thanks Enhance. Some of us you mentioned could be in tuned with twitter, fb, reddit, blah blah blah but choose not to. chuckleshuffle So we happily stay away from it.

I am open for changes and tweaks. But I like knowing that if I want to read something specific, I just look for the thread title and it's all in there. It's clean and without clutter from my perspective.

PS. Don't hate on me LOMS :P I agree we need more convo around the tweets!

Bball1091    107

Disagree completely. First, not everyone has a twitter. Second, some posters do not have the time that to follow 200+ Husker related twitter feeds in order to follow the news. All of Mavric's posts seem at least tangentially related to topics that he posts in. I, for one, really appreciate it, and his posts seem more on point than many of the frivolous posts that are allowed in the forums.

Landlord    7,375

Disagree completely. First, not everyone has a twitter. Second, some posters do not have the time that to follow 200+ Husker related twitter feeds in order to follow the news. All of Mavric's posts seem at least tangentially related to topics that he posts in. I, for one, really appreciate it, and his posts seem more on point than many of the frivolous posts that are allowed in the forums.

I'm not anti-sharing tweets on huskerboard. I do it plenty on my own.

What I'm getting at is that this is meant to be a discussion forum, not a news feed.

Enhance    3,118

I've always viewed it as some combination of both, a place to get team news but also talk about them. I'd wager at least 80-90% of the Husker news I get comes from perusing Huskerboard.

I get your point about the throng of fall camp related threads, though. I too have felt overwhelmed by them at times, but they generate discussion and (ultimately) nobody is forced to go into them. Most of them will disappear into page 2 within a few weeks once the season starts.

B.B. Hemingway    1,463

It's really not that hard or time consuming. I work 70-80 hour weeks this time of year, and I manage.

Bball1091    107

It's really not that hard or time consuming. I work 70-80 hour weeks this time of year, and I manage.

Get a spouse and some kids. If you already have that, then you are extremely efficient with your time so kudos. I just think that the tweets don't really detract from the board, so I would hate to lose all of that info.

B.B. Hemingway    1,463

Get a spouse and some kids. If you already have that, then you are extremely efficient with your time so kudos. I just think that the tweets don't really detract from the board, so I would hate to lose all of that info.

Have a wife and three kids....

The tweets don't bother me, neither. Earlier, I was speaking more to there being a new thread for every post-practice presser, and a fall camp update thread for every position. I think that could all be consolidated into fewer threads. The same could be said for the political forums; how many "Trump is terrible" threads do we need?

Bball1091    107

Have a wife and three kids....

The tweets don't bother me, neither. Earlier, I was speaking more to there being a new thread for every post-practice presser, and a fall camp update thread for every position. I think that could all be consolidated into fewer threads. The same could be said for the political forums; how many "Trump is terrible" threads do we need?

More frequent consolidation would be fine, but I think you are creating more work for Mods who literally voluntarily give their free time for the board. Plus, the decision to consolidate the threads would be totally arbitrary, which would offend certain posters (unless there is some set standard I am unaware of).

Regardless if we agree or not, I will say you must be pretty efficient with your time to be able to keep up with all that's going on in your life, so good job on your part!

zoogs    6,003

I didn't always see the point of the (for example, position-based) threads but I'm really digging their convenience. Have become quite a fan.

Landlord    7,375

Checking a twitter feed doesn't take much efficiency. You can do it any time you poop, for example.

Bball1091    107

I read Huskerboard when I poop.

That's why we need Mav's posts...saves time from reading 100+ related Husker posts on twitter....why go to twitter when all of the material can be sought on Huskerboard.

knapplc    17,788

So you're saying when you post you're full of..............?

Landlord    7,375

That's why we need Mav's posts...saves time from reading 100+ related Husker posts on twitter....why go to twitter when all of the material can be sought on Huskerboard.

Again, I do not mind tweets on the board, but scrolling through a twitter feed takes way less time than clicking through 15+ different threads on huskerboard. I think you're just old and resent technology :P

zoogs    6,003

So you're saying when you post you're full of..............?

Sometimes. Sometimes the opposite. :lol:

Saunders    5,843

Again, I do not mind tweets on the board, but scrolling through a twitter feed takes way less time than clicking through 15+ different threads on huskerboard. I think you're just old and resent technology :P

Those threads get a bunch of views, so somebody is reading them, and there's usually a decent amount of discussion in them. If it was like this all year long, I would agree that it can be a bit cluttered, but at the same time, you're talking about a span of 3-4 weeks of fall camp, when there's really not much else to talk about anyway. Once the season starts, they roll off the front page quickly.

MLB 51    892

Those threads get a bunch of views, so somebody is reading them, and there's usually a decent amount of discussion in them. If it was like this all year long, I would agree that it can be a bit cluttered, but at the same time, you're talking about a span of 3-4 weeks of fall camp, when there's really not much else to talk about anyway. Once the season starts, they roll off the front page quickly.

Mostly people looking for updates on recruits.

I think we should have a recruit "social media update thread." It would keep the "Recruit Profile" threads from getting inundated.

El Diaco    4,525

I appreciate the Twitter posts in the threads and I don't care if LOMS thinks I'm old and resent technology or not (because I am and do). I like that someone else has sifted through the social media garbage and then posts what is relevant here on HB. If it's pertinent to the thread topic it shouldn't matter if it's linked info or discussion of that topic. If Landlord feels it's redundant then he needs to scale back his twitter usage. :P

knapplc    17,788

I like the twitter posts, too. I get Landlord's preference that there be a few fewer threads. There's a balance, and it can easily go too far with too many threads, or the other extreme with everything being lumped into just a few threads. I suspect that if too many threads populate the forums, people will say something and we'll swing around the other way.

I get the objection to the 78,000 Trump threads in P&R, too. That may be an example of too many. Opinions vary, and we all need to give input to make the place better.

StPaulHusker    4,518

I get the objection to the 78,000 Trump threads in P&R, too. That may be an example of too many. Opinions vary, and we all need to give input to make the place better.

Trump does too much stupid sh#t in so many ways that each one needs it's own thread. There is no way around it

zoogs    6,003

Yeah, I almost think there aren't enough Trump threads. We've got all these threads on others in the orbit (his cabinet, the GOP, America at large), on specific topics (foreign policy, ACA repeal, Russia hearings, etc) and Trump's own issues (his idiocy, his tendency to claim credit, his thing with the press and with Twitter).

Sometimes there's a story about just the general actions and aims of the Trump administration, their overall (or domestic) agenda, and it's hard to fit it neatly into one of the other boxes. Although there are enough threads that it's not too hard.

Enhance    3,118

It seems about right to me, honestly. To piggy back off zoogs here, there's a lot of policy/professional/personal debate surrounding Trump in so many areas. It's difficult to keep that trimmed down while maintaining thread integrity.

Maybe we submit Huskerboard to Trump as evidence of changing his ways? :lol:

knapplc    17,788

I don't like having Husker Videos as a child forum of Husker Football. It seems like it should be its own stand-alone forum, especially with all the subforums it has.

Mavric    9,128

I don't like having Husker Videos as a child forum of Husker Football. It seems like it should be its own stand-alone forum, especially with all the subforums it has.

Yeah, we went around on it a couple times but can't decide what to do with it. It doesn't really fit well anywhere but kind of fits in a few spots.

There was a suggestion to put it in Other Husker Sports because it covers all sports. It could go in the A/V section. But we tried it in the Football forum since it's mostly football.

I don't know what the right answer is. The thought was to move a couple of the less-trafficed forums inside to kind of clean up the main page - mainly shorten it up so it's easier to see what's where.

But I'm not sure I really like it in Football because it kind of pushes everything else down there.

knapplc    17,788

I liked the video forum where it was before. It was kinda prominent there, just above the Lounge.

It also feels like the Lounge should be at the top of Other Stuff, but that's probably just because it's been there for so long.

El Diaco    4,525

I liked the video forum where it was before. It was kinda prominent there, just above the Lounge.

It also feels like the Lounge should be at the top of Other Stuff, but that's probably just because it's been there for so long.

I mostly agree with this.

I'd rather see the Lounge at the top of "Other" and, if P&R has to remain outside the lounge (which I don't think it does but it doesn't bother me), then put AV in the Tech Forum or just ahead of or after it. Just IMO. I never have frequented the AV forum much so I'd hate to see it pushing stuff down the list in Football. No biggie either way.

Mavric    9,128

We went back and forth on which forum to be at the top of the Other list. My thought we P&R got the most traffic but now several others have said that it just "feels" more right for the Lounge to be at the top.

They are working on upgrading to the newest version of the board software right now. It's kind of overdue. I don't think I'll make any more changes for now but might make a couple of these moves when the new version is ready for release.

zoogs    6,003

Yeah, a lot of good suggestions here. I think we'll see how things look and flow once the upgrade -- should be soon! -- is complete. I wanted Husker Videos subordinated at first, but now I kinda miss it. :P

knapplc    17,788

I like that P&R is now below the Lounge. That makes more sense.

RedDenver    1,386

Is there a way to get to the status updates? I only see the most recent half dozen on the right.

Edited by RedDenver

Mavric    9,128
29 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Is there a way to get to the status updates? I only see the most recent half dozen on the right.

I've been looking for settings on this but I haven't found it yet.  Trying to increase the number of updates shown and show replies on the main page.

I think it is now an add on item.  Looks like it costs $10 per year.

RedDenver    1,386
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've been looking for settings on this but I haven't found it yet.  Trying to increase the number of updates shown and show replies on the main page.

I think it is now an add on item.  Looks like it costs $10 per year.

I posted a test status and then deleted it, and the list expands, so something may change when there's enough status updates to fill the vertical page column.

Mavric    9,128

It looks like the default is only the most recent five updates.  I've been looking for a way to up that but haven't found it.  The one thing I did find was it looks like you now have to purchase an add on to be able to reply and see replies inline.

El Diaco    4,525
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I like that P&R is now below the Lounge. That makes more sense.

Agree. It just feels more at home there.

Mavric    9,128
Just now, RedDenver said:

Can remove the "politics" bullet in the lounge description.

Done.  Thanks.