Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

And I guess as far as the current guys in the QB room being upset, just a personal preference for me, I don't want anyone that is scared of competition as our QB. That's a major red flag. Frost has said all along he wants a big QB room; I don't think 3 or even 4 (Vedral) is what he defines as big. 

We need to get over the total mismanagement of the QB depth chart by our last staff, which left us having to play a QB with a broken wrist/cast. Real,/talented depth at QB is a good thing. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Good post, @Warrior10. The only thing I would disagree with is that I think Frost and Walters will do what they can to protect Gebbia in the running game, to keep him upright as much as possible. He's bigger than Milton was last year, and Milton held up alright. 

I agree, they'll scheme to project him well. Milton has a little elusiveness/magic that kept him dodging big hits too, not sure Gebbia does.

But even at that we are him planting in a passing drill and his knee giving way from "Uh-oh". *Knocks on wood and prepares for the brunt of me jinxing him.

1 minute ago, Warrior10 said:

I agree, they'll scheme to project him well. Milton has a little elusiveness/magic that kept him dodging big hits too, not sure Gebbia does.

But even at that we are him planting in a passing drill and his knee giving way from "Uh-oh". *Knocks on wood and prepares for the brunt of me jinxing him.

I watched the All or Nothing on Michigan last weekend, and it seemed like if you even breathed on them, they had QBs getting hurt last year. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Bunch: Pretty thankful to have him on the roster to provide depth, but if he's the best QB we have we are in trouble. 

I mean, he could be the next Joe Ganz for all we know. His high school numbers were impressive and his Juco coach said his offensive staff was upended and replaced with an OC who had never called plays. 

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

While remembering how Frost played and recent comments about how he likes football players at QB as option QBs and how he wants them to be tough......I fail to think that he's going to call plays all year with the mentality of..."Oh...I have to keep my QB from getting hit".

I don't think Frost is going to be afraid to have his QB get hit but I think there is a modicum of being smart with his guys, particularly if they're better throwers than they are runners. Mariota is probably a good example. Definitely somebody they let run (he had 135 carries his senior year) but it was dwarfed by the 445 pass attempts. Ultimately, I think it will come down to what the strength of his QB is.

2 hours ago, theknife said:

I mean, he could be the next Joe Ganz for all we know. His high school numbers were impressive and his Juco coach said his offensive staff was upended and replaced with an OC who had never called plays. 

Sure he could. I just tend to think if every P5 coach in the nation decided he wasn't worthy of an offer out of HS and then again out of JUCO there might be a reason. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Good post, @Warrior10. The only thing I would disagree with is that I think Frost and Walters will do what they can to protect Gebbia in the running game, to keep him upright as much as possible. He's bigger than Milton was last year, and Milton held up alright. 

Milton didn't face the kind of defenses that our QB's are going to see, though.  Regardless of who's starting/playing, it's going to be a matter of being smart with which hits they're willing to take on.   I do hope that Gebbia packs on a little more mass over the summer.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Joe Burrow has 39 passing attempts in his career.  If that immediately makes him a front running candidate to be starter at Nebraska, then God help us next season.

His 39 passing attempts are 39 more than the other candidates to start in 2018 (assuming Vedral doesn't gain eligibility).

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I just tend to think if every P5 coach in the nation decided he wasn't worthy of an offer out of HS and then again out of JUCO there might be a reason. 

Which makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, this staff doesn't throw false praise around. If they're saying something about a kid, it's because that's their honest views based on practice.