** 2023 Opponent Preview : Minnesota (Game 1) **

7 minutes ago, admo said:

But,...  we know Minnesota will punt the ball to play field position and wait for the Huskers to make mistakes (turnovers, penalties, etc).  I mean, that is their M.O. when they struggle offensively.

If they can get something out of the QB, they may not be quite so much sit around and wait for the clock to expire.

• 2 weeks later...

Something interesting I thought I would share with my Husker brothers.

Diving in and checking out Minnesota.

In the past 2 seasons Minnesota has played 26 games (including 2 post season Bowl Games)

Pretty interesting:

18 games (out of 26) they gave up 16 points or less
16 games (out of 26) they gave up 14 points or less
12 games (out of 26) they gave up 13 points or less
8 games (out of 26) they gave up 10 points or less
And 3 times their defense produced shutouts

Of those 26 games in two years, Minnesota's opponents have scored 23 points or more against them in a game "only" 5 times.  

Minnesota is 1-4 in those games when that happens (Their opponents scoring 23 points or more).  

Losses have been to Ohio State, Iowa twice, Penn State and Illinois

All of those teams were ranked in top 25.

Strangely enough, Minnesota also lost football games when they gave up just 14 points in a game twice (to Illinois and Bowling Green), and also lost a game giving up 13 points (to Iowa).

And yet they beat Wisconsin twice and won both of their bowl games.

They played Ohio State once and Michigan wasn't scheduled in either year.

What I take away from this, is that if it's a slug fest, slow moving game, with the clock ticking, a lot of running plays and short pass plays, playing field position and ball control, with a few field goals attempts, punting a lot around midfield, and scoring a few touchdowns (maybe another one late)......  this is Minnesota's type of game and that's how they control it.

Unless our defense gets gassed throughout the game and picked apart because of younger depth rotations.....  I don't know.... but it would be just as bad if we do score 30 points and still find a way to lose.  Even though Minnesota doesn't have a recent history of high scoring games going back and forth.  

Went with the past 2 seasons because 2020 was covid year. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, admo said:

Something interesting I thought I would share with my Husker brothers.

Diving in and checking out Minnesota.

In the past 2 seasons Minnesota has played 26 games (including 2 post season Bowl Games)

Pretty interesting:

18 games (out of 26) they gave up 16 points or less
16 games (out of 26) they gave up 14 points or less
12 games (out of 26) they gave up 13 points or less
8 games (out of 26) they gave up 10 points or less
And 3 times their defense produced shutouts

Of those 26 games in two years, Minnesota's opponents have scored 23 points or more against them in a game "only" 5 times.  

Minnesota is 1-4 in those games when that happens (Their opponents scoring 23 points or more).  

Losses have been to Ohio State, Iowa twice, Penn State and Illinois

All of those teams were ranked in top 25.

Strangely enough, Minnesota also lost football games when they gave up just 14 points in a game twice (to Illinois and Bowling Green), and also lost a game giving up 13 points (to Iowa).

And yet they beat Wisconsin twice and won both of their bowl games.

They played Ohio State once and Michigan wasn't scheduled in either year.

What I take away from this, is that if it's a slug fest, slow moving game, with the clock ticking, a lot of running plays and short pass plays, playing field position and ball control, with a few field goals attempts, punting a lot around midfield, and scoring a few touchdowns (maybe another one late)......  this is Minnesota's type of game and that's how they control it.

Unless our defense gets gassed throughout the game and picked apart because of younger depth rotations.....  I don't know.... but it would be just as bad if we do score 30 points and still find a way to lose.  Even though Minnesota doesn't have a recent history of high scoring games going back and forth.  

Went with the past 2 seasons because 2020 was covid year. 

First game, on the road, against a team that won 9 games last year, and we have a brand new coaching staff/team and scheme on both sides of the ball.   We are supposed to lose this game...  Hope for the best but don't stress too much man.   

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

First game, on the road, against a team that won 9 games last year, and we have a brand new coaching staff/team and scheme on both sides of the ball.   We are supposed to lose this game...  Hope for the best but don't stress too much man.   

If NU beats Minnesota, it’s a bonus. I will be rooting like heck while watching the game on TV, but I am expecting a loss. 

• Plus1 2

A few thoughts about Minnesota:

(This first part is a repost from the Tony White thread).

I imagine that it has occurred to multiple people on this board, that DC Tony White's last game with Syracuse was a 28-20 loss to Minnesota (in the 2022 Pinstripe Bowl) and so Minnesota will be facing a Tony White defense (with different personnel) for the 2nd game in a row.

So I wonder hope our personnel are quick studies and that Tony throws is a few wrinkles to cross the Golden Gomers up.

Not sure whose video this is (it's not mine) but it was only uploaded 6 days ago and doesn't have a lot of views (yet):

https://youtu.be/_oqYuBZYA94

Looking at that game closer, Syracuse threw a Pick-Six or it is a 1 point Syracuse loss.

The Syracuse defense held Ibrahim (now with the Detroit Lions) to 71 yds, 1 TD, 4.4 yds/carry. Not counting sacks, Minnesota only ran for 104 total rushing yards.

Minnesota QB  Athan Kaliakmanis was pegged 67th out of 69 projected starting QBs at the Power Five conference level going into the 2023 season, according to 247sports on Tuesday.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.twincities.com%2F2023%2F08%2F09%2Fgophers-quarterback-athan-kaliakmanis-hit-with-low-national-ranking%2F

Daniel Jackson caught 2 TDs against Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl.

https://www.twincities.com/2023/04/04/gophers-receiver-daniel-jackson-picks-up-where-he-left-off-in-corner-of-end-zone/

So Minnesota may have some idea of what to expect from White's 3-3-5 (but not with Nebraska personnel).

But they have no idea what they are going to see from Satt's offense.

Given my choice of QBs, I would take Sims over Kaliakmanis. Our WRs are unknown, but Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda caught the Huskers first receiving TD in Dublin last year. Nobody is talking about him. And I expect TEs to (finally) be a big part of the offensive game plan. I hope Fidone can stay healthy.

I feel good about the Husker's Special Teams this year and they could be the difference in the game.

I understand the pessimism (Blessed are the pessimistic, for they shall not be disappointed). But I think we have better than a puncher's chance for an upset in Game One.

• Plus1 1

My recollection is Tony White did not coach the Orange defense in the bowl game.  In fact I believe neither did their off coordinator.  I may be mistaken but ?   

That might mean one may need to take that into account in the analyses.   Again, I could not quickly find that info.   If I recall the stats favored Syracuse in that game.  Ibrahim did not exactly run all over them either.  

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

My recollection is Tony White did not coach the Orange defense in the bowl game.  In fact I believe neither did their off coordinator.  I may be mistaken but ?   

That might mean one may need to take that into account in the analyses.   Again, I could not quickly find that info.   If I recall the stats favored Syracuse in that game.  Ibrahim did not exactly run all over them either.  

It is mostly irrelevant to me if he coached it or not. The defense didn't learn a whole new scheme between their last game and the bowl game. The defensive principles he espouses were on display.

• TBH 1
26 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

It is mostly irrelevant to me if he coached it or not. The defense didn't learn a whole new scheme between their last game and the bowl game. The defensive principles he espouses were on display.

Nebraska's players didn't learn a new defense after Frost and Chins were fired but the defense played better.  Different people calling plays makes a difference.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I agree - generally - but defensive coordinators do make the calls.  It’s not the scheme as much as much as the play calls and players that execute them.  

It's been discussed in another thread.  He didn't coach that game and the offense did the defense no favors.  So a solid showing by a defense without their normal coach.  They weren't a bad defense before or during that game 

47 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

It changes a lot.

The scheme is not the issue that the OC worries about, it is the playing calling within that scheme.

I used to let one of my asst coaches call plays in games, sometimes, like if we were up big or if it was a lame game or whatever...

He blitzed like it was his job.  Dude brought pressure on every single play from all over the field.

Me, I hardly ever blitzed. 

Same 3-5-3 scheme but totally totally totally different in how it was called.  

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I agree - generally - but defensive coordinators do make the calls.  It’s not the scheme as much as much as the play calls and players that execute them.  

It’s less on the scheme and the play calls, and it’s more on the talent on the field.

Unfortunately, I don’t see much talent and depth on the defense. If anything, the scheme may surprise a few teams, to make up for the lack of talent. 

6 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Not stressed at all.   I get all that - they win 9 games, it's a Thursday night game, season opener, and they beat us like 4 years in a row.

I am not stressed, and I am hoping for the best for the Huskers, as always.  Just like every college football fan across the nation does for the team he roots for.  

My point was to put out some interesting points on how Minnesota has won the past few seasons.  By showing a trend (how many times they hold teams to 16 points or less) because it's pretty interesting and applaudable.  

The trend also indicates that if an opponent (Huskers) can score 24-28-30 points....... the Huskers will have a favorable outcome.  

That's all I am saying (plus how Minnesota's offensive MO is chewing up the game clock, wearing defenses down, short passes, run the ball, punting a lot, and trying field goals). 

I don't like the "if" game.  Should Minnesota score 30+ on the Huskers, we will show our deficiencies during the game.  Because they are not built to score a lot (30-35-40).  They scored 40 once in 2 years.

And, it's all good info to know going in.  

I DO NOT EXPECT THE HUSKERS TO LOSE.  With history and wisdom, I do think Minnesota is preferably the better football team out of the gate.  And like Ruhle says, the Huskers have to come out and earn a victory, which I like.  I am anticipating Minnesota winning, as does Vegas and most people.  But I am not expecting them to win - if that makes sense.  

• Oh Yeah! 2
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s less on the scheme and the play calls, and it’s more on the talent on the field.

Unfortunately, I don’t see much talent and depth on the defense. If anything, the scheme may surprise a few teams, to make up for the lack of talent. 

Shoot, just think of it like a video game.  You could play two guys that pick the same team and it is night and day.

• TBH 1