** 2023 Opponent Preview : Minnesota (Game 1) **

95% of preseason stuff is all nonsense unless you are listening to someone who actually dives into CFB. Fleck is going on his 7th year and they are more proven than us of course - also at home. Minnesota is not better than Nebraska though in my humble opinion. They have good receiving options and are stout on the defensive front. Other than that, MN is a 6-7 win team talent wise. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

95% of preseason stuff is all nonsense unless you are listening to someone who actually dives into CFB. Fleck is going on his 7th year and they are more proven than us of course - also at home. Minnesota is not better than Nebraska though in my humble opinion. They have good receiving options and are stout on the defensive front. Other than that, MN is a 6-7 win team talent wise. 

Not better ???

They won 9 games in back to back seasons.  That number 9 gave Husker fans with Bo Pellini a hard on, and it still does.  #Go Big Red #9 Wins

Throw out the pandemic season (may it rest in peace), and what Minnesota did the season before that, Minnesota won 11 games! .... out of 13 !  

Even Bo didn't ever never win 11 games. 

And most years under Bo the Great, it was 4 non-con games and 8 conf games until we joined the B1G.  

How about instead, when we all dive in to the nitty gritty of college football, we give credit where credit is due and let it be as it has been? 

Meaning, like it or not but Minnesota has put the s#!t down and won 9 games in back to back seasons, they are the favorite to win, and we haven't had a winning season in 6 years. 

No offense, but it has nothing to do with humble opinion of who is better or not, or how awesome the Huskers have practiced since Winter.  Minnesota has been the better team in the series, has won a lot of boring games, and deserves the respect to be called "the better program/team".  Like it or not.

The exciting part is that I agree that they are not a dominating football team.  But also, because it is a road game, TV Thursday Night, in Minneapolis, with a mustard looking "Gold Out" for fans. 

Minnesota should win.  But, if the Huskers put it together and find a way to earn an upset victory, then that would be a super sweet dream that comes true.  Reality is Minnesota is 7th year with Fleck and knowing how to win these ugly Big Ten games.  Even Coach Rhule admires it.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
13 hours ago, admo said:

Not better ???

They won 9 games in back to back seasons.  That number 9 gave Husker fans with Bo Pellini a hard on, and it still does.  #Go Big Red #9 Wins

Throw out the pandemic season (may it rest in peace), and what Minnesota did the season before that, Minnesota won 11 games! .... out of 13 !  

Even Bo didn't ever never win 11 games. 

And most years under Bo the Great, it was 4 non-con games and 8 conf games until we joined the B1G.  

How about instead, when we all dive in to the nitty gritty of college football, we give credit where credit is due and let it be as it has been? 

Meaning, like it or not but Minnesota has put the s#!t down and won 9 games in back to back seasons, they are the favorite to win, and we haven't had a winning season in 6 years. 

No offense, but it has nothing to do with humble opinion of who is better or not, or how awesome the Huskers have practiced since Winter.  Minnesota has been the better team in the series, has won a lot of boring games, and deserves the respect to be called "the better program/team".  Like it or not.

The exciting part is that I agree that they are not a dominating football team.  But also, because it is a road game, TV Thursday Night, in Minneapolis, with a mustard looking "Gold Out" for fans. 

Minnesota should win.  But, if the Huskers put it together and find a way to earn an upset victory, then that would be a super sweet dream that comes true.  Reality is Minnesota is 7th year with Fleck and knowing how to win these ugly Big Ten games.  Even Coach Rhule admires it.

What does 2019 have to do with tonight?

Rhule > Fleck

Nebraska > Minnesota 

19 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

WR is a strength for Minny this year. Their QB is largely unproven but we need to get to him quickly to disrupt these plays. 

I keep hearing about Minnesota's WRs, but come on, they were the #116 passing team in the country last year, and they're breaking in a new QB this year. I wouldn't count on  them suddenly turning into an air raid team tonight.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

28 minutes ago, Toe said:

I keep hearing about Minnesota's WRs, but come on, they were the #116 passing team in the country last year, and they're breaking in a new QB this year. I wouldn't count on  them suddenly turning into an air raid team tonight.

PJ has gone full B1G West and embraced the run, run, and run some more.  They were averaged 21.6 pass attempts/game (125th in the country).

I don't know much about their WR core, but their supposed best WR (who is going into his 7th year, dude is probably older than our WR coach) only played 3 games last year due to injury.  The do have an All-B1G caliber TE who led them in receptions last year that is back for his 6th year.

Also, the QB started the last handful of games last year, so he has experience.  He threw for 300+ vs Wisconsin last year.

27 minutes ago, Toe said:

They won’t have to be an air raid team. Their D is tough - I doubt we see the endzone more than twice tonight.

8 minutes ago, HuskerX said:

I’m seriously concerned with our kicking game / starting a freshman. Tonight this could matter GREATLY. I hope he’s ready for the spotlight.

You keep bringing this up like a freshman kicker is such an anomaly.  There have been successful freshman kickers throughout college football.  Yeah, he may miss one tonight, but the same thing could have happened with our junior kicker.  Alvano was nails in the state championship last fall, and he won the job in training camp by competition.  He's the best guy we have.

Finally, we all want NU to win tonight, but it's not a HUGE game in terms of the grand scheme of Rhule's program.  It's one game of 12 (potentially 13 with a bowl) this year, in the first year of Rhule.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

You keep bringing this up like a freshman kicker is such an anomaly.  There have been successful freshman kickers throughout college football.  Yeah, he may miss one tonight, but the same thing could have happened with our junior kicker.  Alvano was nails in the state championship last fall, and he won the job in training camp by competition.  He's the best guy we have.

:troll:

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 6

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Finally, we all want NU to win tonight, but it's not a HUGE game in terms of the grand scheme of Rhule's program.  It's one game of 12 (potentially 13 with a bowl) this year, in the first year of Rhule.

Could be wrong, but I see the kicking game as being more important tonight than perhaps any other game this season. Minnesota's relatively weak offense yet strong defense is going to put the spotlight on the kicking game for both teams.