** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northwestern (Game 7) **

9 minutes ago, Toe said:

Fitz had ample opportunity to learn about the hazing, but I'm sure the assistant coaches didn't.

kermit-bale.gif

Yes, of course.  That should be obvious.  :sarcasm  :facepalm:

Opposite side of the coin to firing the head coach for poor performance and promoting an assistant.  The assistant knew the right answers all along but he just wasn't telling.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes, of course.  That should be obvious.  :sarcasm  :facepalm:

Opposite side of the coin to firing the head coach for poor performance and promoting an assistant.  The assistant knew the right answers all along but he just wasn't telling.

They also hired a new D- Coordinator to be the interim head coach. He has been there the least about of time, so it makes sense for him to take the reigns. As opposed to the longer-tenured assistants that have been with the program.  

• Plus1 1

There are several examples over the years of the reputational harm done to head coaches fired for off the field reasons. Fitzgerald is still a pretty young guy for a head coach, so if his attorneys were to seek not only damages related to his current contract but also future earnings he could have made, then that number could exceed 100 million or more.

29 minutes ago, brophog said:

There are several examples over the years of the reputational harm done to head coaches fired for off the field reasons. Fitzgerald is still a pretty young guy for a head coach, so if his attorneys were to seek not only damages related to his current contract but also future earnings he could have made, then that number could exceed 100 million or more.

Is that where the Ryan family donations are shifting to?

• TBH 2
5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

In situations like this you have to clean house.  Players are usually closest with their position coaches so if Fitz knew and got fired they all know and should be fired.  What would also be interesting if Fitz Lawyer has a degree from NW

I think it just makes this look worse for the administration.  If you care about the kids and the culture, fire all but the first year assistants or maybe everyone.  To just fire the HC says we want to save face and try to save the team. Pick one.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, runningblind said:

I think it just makes this look worse for the administration.  If you care about the kids and the culture, fire all but the first year assistants or maybe everyone.  To just fire the HC says we want to save face and try to save the team. Pick one.

It also says the administrators are out of touch after public sentiment led to firing Fitz for cause after details emerged. It begs the question of whether there are additional incompetencies from these administrators. 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, runningblind said:

I think everyone agrees that a thorough house cleaning is needed but I am not sure you can fire an entire football staff in July and find enough coaches to fill those roles.  So Fitz takes the (deserved) fall now, and then the rest will be gone in December.

I would think you fire the AD soon as well, and then you can get a new AD in place by fall so that he can be the one making the hiring decision.

• Plus1 3

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think everyone agrees that a thorough house cleaning is needed but I am not sure you can fire an entire football staff in July and find enough coaches to fill those roles.  So Fitz takes the (deserved) fall now, and then the rest will be gone in December.

I would think you fire the AD soon as well, and then you can get a new AD in place by fall so that he can be the one making the hiring decision.

Yeah, it's too late to make any wholesale changes for this season, so Northwestern, the AD, and school officials may as well try to go with status quo for the time being.  I'm sure plenty of guys will transfer out, while plenty of guys stick around to finish their degree or find a better landing spot after this season.  The big changes will be done when the season is done, and frankly, nobody will be safe.

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I mean, they went 1-11 last year and probably were going to again.  What is the difference if you let GA's and some one year hires run the team and make a better statement by cleaning house now?  You will lose those players who continue to go 1-11? 

• TBH 3
33 minutes ago, runningblind said:

What is the difference if you let GA's and some one year hires run the team and make a better statement by cleaning house now? 

Where are you going to find these "one year hires"?  No one is leaving their current job in July to go to Northwestern to win 2 games and then be out of a job in December.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Where are you going to find these "one year hires"?  No one is leaving their current job in July to go to Northwestern to win 2 games and then be out of a job in December.

There are probably a lot of young guys out there that would throw their hat into the ring just to get exposure by coaching at  BIG school.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1