DL Dominic Kirks [Ohio State - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

16 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Kirks commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

36 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The reason Nebraska loses to Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota is because they don't do the little things. The reason Nebraska hasn't beat a ranked team in 7 years and gets blown out by top teams is because they aren't very talented. 

Our problem is recruiting because it's average. Finishing ~25th in recruiting isn't that great, the level of talent brought in for that class isn't much different than the class that finishes ~50th. The difference between those classes is the size of the class, not the quality of the players.

Unless they start recruiting 10 blue chip (4/5 star) players every year, it'll be extremely difficult for Nebraska football to rise beyond where Minnesota/Iowa is today. Except now the schedule will be more difficult. 

If we don’t do the little things better then yes you are correct. That goes with out saying. 
A) I believe that’s unlikely as Rhule is a little things coach.

B)I’m gonna put my tin hat on for a minute…the Solich curse has been broken so a lot of those one play eggs we always seem to lay that kills a drive that would have given us the win won’t happen anymore! :koolaid2:
All joking aside if we start recruiting better which we have, do the little things better which we will, we will start winning. We start winning,  we will start putting together top 10 or even top 5 classes that you are talking about. Sprinkle in all the NIL money and new facilities and juice around the program, the future is brighter for Nebraska than hoping to be another Minny or Iowa.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

If we don’t do the little things better then yes you are correct. That kinda goes with out saying. 
A) I believe that’s unlikely as Rhule is a little things coach.

B)I’m gonna put my tin hat on for a minute…the Solich curse has been broken so a lot of those one play eggs we always seem to lay that kills a drive that would have given us the win won’t happen anymore! :koolaid2:
All joking aside if we start recruiting better which we have, do the little things better which we will, we will start winning. We start winning,  we will start putting together top 10 or even top 5 classes that you are talking about. Sprinkle in all the NIL money and new facilities and juice around the program, the future is brighter for Nebraska than hoping to be another Minny or Iowa.

I wouldn't say that Nebraska has suffered in the recruiting department or has been bad at recruiting it's the development of the player and other things that have caused Nebraska to be in a down pour slide for years.  I do believe in HC Matt Rhule but time will tell.  Maybe the first year might be rough or it might be successful but by year 3 I definitely feel like the Nebraska train will be well oiled and if not then don't know what it will take to be successful.

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I wouldn't say that Nebraska has suffered in the recruiting department or has been bad at recruiting it's the development of the player and other things that have caused Nebraska to be in a down pour slide for years.  I do believe in HC Matt Rhule but time will tell.  Maybe the first year might be rough or it might be successful but by year 3 I definitely feel like the Nebraska train will be well oiled and if not then don't know what it will take to be successful.

Nebraska will have to develop the talent on the roster at an extremely high level by year 3 just to go 7-5 against the schedule that season. 

2 hours ago, Scofrosghost said:

we will start putting together top 10 or even top 5 classes that you are talking about. Sprinkle in all the NIL money and new facilities and juice around the program, the future is brighter for Nebraska than hoping to be another Minny or Iowa.

The gap between where Nebraska is - recruiting 5 blue chip players per year - and where teams that finish in the top 10 where they recruit 20 blue chips per year, is massive. It's not possible for them to get to that level, and that's okay. A realistic goal for Nebraska is recruiting 8-10 blue chip players per year, a pace that Rhule is still unlikely to meet anyway.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska will have to develop the talent on the roster at an extremely high level by year 3 just to go 7-5 against the schedule that season. 

The gap between where Nebraska is - recruiting 5 blue chip players per year - and where teams that finish in the top 10 where they recruit 20 blue chips per year, is massive. It's not possible for them to get to that level, and that's okay. A realistic goal for Nebraska is recruiting 8-10 blue chip players per year, a pace that Rhule is still unlikely to meet anyway.

Yes the schedule may be difficult but the evidence has shown that Matt Rhule has developed players and has been successful at every college he has been at by year 3.  Not saying he has to get to a high win loss record or go to a specific bowl game in order to be called a success here but he is known as a developmental college coach.  He just hasn't stayed at a program long that's all.  Baylor was in a worst state then us and yes I understand we play in a tougher conference but he was a success there by all means.

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Tackling in practice, improved S&C, and some accountability will get this team to 7-5.

Frost figured out a way to lose every game by one score.  Typically at the end. They are a ways from a conference champion, but not 7 wins.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I’m really glad that I’m not as pessimistic as you.  That just wouldn’t be fun. 

I tend to like having fun. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've grown so tired of @Dr. Strangelove negativity and bloviating superiority that I never read a single post of his. Pessimism is not what I personally would call his posts. Arrogance, elitist narcissistic opinions that aren't worth my time. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 6
5 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I've grown so tired of @Dr. Strangelove negativity and bloviating superiority that I never read a single post of his. Pessimism is not what I personally would call his posts. Arrogance, elitist narcissistic opinions that aren't worth my time. 

You are free to ignore them. You are also free to point out any inaccuracies or counter any point as you see fit. 

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I try to have an unbiased opinion on Nebraska football. Sure, it would be nice to assume that the low-ranked players Nebraska is getting are diamonds in the rough - unlike the low ranked players say Rutgers recruits. But the statistics on recruiting don't lie.

I actually think having Minnesota's level of success is a huge step up for Nebraska football, I'm surprised that fans think this is a bad thing. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You are free to ignore them. You are also free to point out any inaccuracies or counter any point as you see fit. 

I try to have an unbiased opinion on Nebraska football. Sure, it would be nice to assume that the low-ranked players Nebraska is getting are diamonds in the rough - unlike the low ranked players say Rutgers recruits. But the statistics on recruiting don't lie.

I actually think having Minnesota's level of success is a huge step up for Nebraska football, I'm surprised that fans think this is a bad thing. 

Currently a top 20 class, not bad for a coaching staff that’s been here 8 months that took over a program that’s been a dumpster fire for almost a decade. And with a few more trending N…Very few schools can get the recruits like Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama. Coach Rhule and staff are doing better than expected IMO. 

Oh! And Rutgers’ class is sitting in the top 25 as well:blink:

I do, however, agree with your last sentence. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't have a problem with saying Minnesota level would be a step up.  It would be a step up from where we have been.  My problem is with you claiming that's all we should ever hope for because the world just won't allow Nebraska to be any better than that.

That's BS.  You claim that the college football world has changed so that the talent concentration at the top is like we have never seen before.  Really?  The only reason you think that is because before, when it was just like this, we were towards the top of getting that talent, so Husker fans never bothered to care about it.  You look back to the 70s and 80s talent concentration, it was no less than it is now.

Have things changed in the college football world?  Heck ya.  Some of those things are out of the control of college football.  However, we are going to see a huge change in college football again in the next 10 years with the portal, NIL, conference realignment...etc.  I personally, think that even though we have not seen success over the last 10 years, we are set up to have a chance at that success in the future.  I also think we have a coach that has a great chance of really improving the program and it's reputation with top HS recruits.

So....the "woe is me" attitude just isn't where I'm at.  And...I'm glad.

• TBH 1
7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You know what?  I think you could be right.

Now, if you'd just post the same thing in another dozen threads or so and then keep repeating it over and over again, I think you'd convince me.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/26/2023 at 7:26 AM, TonyStalloni said:

So no news about Dominic Kirks?

I think if he was a serious target mutually he would’ve already visited/set up a visit. And with us taking our probably only interior DL I don’t see this one being a take unless he is an edge. 

• Mavric changed the title to DL Dominic Kirks [Ohio State - Signed LOI]