2023 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I saw this last night, and I thought it was an interesting note.  Thanks for posting.

I know the offensive line was bad and the offensive scheme didn't do any favors for the running game, but I do remember that Grant had critics early in the 2022 season because he was dancing too much (even when there was a hole).  Those big runs which Grant had against weaker teams after dancing around turned into minimal runs against better teams in the 2nd half of the season.  Grant has a lot of talent and ability, so it will be interesting if Barthel can improve and fine-turn Grant's running style.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Yes, knowing where he's supposed to run does seem like kind of an important thing that a running back should probably know a thing or two about. That would probably help him to be successful in carrying out the duties of his position.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3
13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm assuming by "where the ball is supposed to insert", he means where the RB, with the ball, is supposed to run according to the blocking scheme?

That would be a nice thing for them to know.

I read it as the same thing.  "Here is how the OL will block on this play".  "Run here".  Makes sense, but what if where the "ball is supposed to be inserted" is filled with the other teams players.  The stat about yards before contact showed NU did a horrible job at best of keeping defenders off of the RB.  IMHO, the success of the O will be directly linked to the OL improvement.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I read it as the same thing.  "Here is how the OL will block on this play".  "Run here".  Makes sense, but what if where the "ball is supposed to be inserted" is filled with the other teams players.  The stat about yards before contact showed NU did a horrible job at best of keeping defenders off of the RB.  IMHO, the success of the O will be directly linked to the OL improvement.

My thoughts is about zone blocking schemes where the lines moves guys and the RB is supposed to find the hole. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My thoughts is about zone blocking schemes where the lines moves guys and the RB is supposed to find the hole. 

My additional thought is that Bethel went thru practice film from the spring and showed Grant where there was enough of a hole to hit (especially in a zone running play) and Grant was still hesitant and dancing in practice, rather than hitting that hole. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My additional thought is that Bethel went thru practice film from the spring and showed Grant where there was enough of a hole to hit (especially in a zone running play) and Grant was still hesitant and dancing in practice, rather than hitting that hole. 

This makes sense.  

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...