2023 Fall Camp Notes - Defensive Backs

Very easy to read to much into this (and it was followed by a line about "moving guys around") but White mentioned Eric Fields when talking about the DBs. So I'm guess he'll at least start out playing some Rover, which seems like a good fit to me.

EDIT: They did clarify later in the presser, Fields is playing Rover but sounds like will probably do some LB as well.

• Oh Yeah! 2
18 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Very easy to read to much into this (and it was followed by a line about "moving guys around") but White mentioned Eric Fields when talking about the DBs. So I'm guess he'll at least start out playing some Rover, which seems like a good fit to me.

EDIT: They did clarify later in the presser, Fields is playing Rover but sounds like will probably do some LB as well.

Fields is the Reimer in this class.  I think he's going to be a big contributor.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I expect to see a bunch of contributors this fall who weren’t of last year’s roster.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see 6 or 8 “starters be newbies. 
I also will be disappointed if we don’t see about all the two-deep play a lot. Obviously it depends on the actual difference between Simms and the other QBs in the QB spot but elsewhere.  Rhule is in year one of a rebuild so getting real reps to youth is extra important this fall. Win or lose, I expect them to rotate and shuffle and develop for future years. 

45 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

They did clarify later in the presser, Fields is playing Rover but sounds like will probably do some LB as well.

Judging by his tape, Rover would make sense.  Brian Urlacher played there under Rocky Long, they called it something different but it was very similar. He bulks up entering the NFL and becomes a MLB in a Tampa 2 system. So there's a lot of crossover, just depending on how want to develop a young guy and it sounds like they're still making a lot of those decisions.

I know there has been some conjecture that they're bringing in too many DBs in recruiting, but in this defense that body type could potentially be molded into many positions.

• Oh Yeah! 1
22 minutes ago, brophog said:

Judging by his tape, Rover would make sense.  Brian Urlacher played there under Rocky Long, they called it something different but it was very similar. He bulks up entering the NFL and becomes a MLB in a Tampa 2 system. So there's a lot of crossover, just depending on how want to develop a young guy and it sounds like they're still making a lot of those decisions.

I know there has been some conjecture that they're bringing in too many DBs in recruiting, but in this defense that body type could potentially be molded into many positions.

He actually started out as an outside LB then got bumped inside.  But I agree with Fields playing rover.  Guy is  a dart and just gets to the ball. 

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

I still haven't figured out for sure if Rover is a defensive back or a linebacker but...

He's both. And he's neither. Maybe think of him like you would any other nickelback, because that makes everyone else's role make more sense, but he's not going to line up like your average nickelback.

It largely depends on the call and the opposing formation.

A guiding principle is the two safeties are your coverage guys and the Rover will usually occupy whatever role of those 3 deep players that requires the least coverage skills.

A few practical examples.

If you have a 2x1 set with 3WR  that slot is usually a Safety whereas traditionally it's a nickelback. Rover is likely FS or in the box where he can get TE/HBack/RB types.

If you have a 2x2 set with 4WR, those slots are usually a Safety with the Rover having some sort of deep responsibility.

Against a jumbo look, a Safety will act as FS and the Rover will be down in the box like a LB.

None of that is set in stone, White is a creative guy. But, I think you'll find that guiding principle above is a good rule of thumb to whether the Rover lines up more like a LB or S in any particular alignment.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

The Rover is the Peso 2.0

Others have made that comparison and I don't really like it.

The Peso was really just a big nickel. It was a nickel - LB hybrid and none of the calls really changed when it was implemented. It was not much more than a personnel change, imo.

Pelini always wanted to be in 2 high Safety. That was a base philosophy that everything else flowed from. That's where he differs so greatly from White who will use a lot more coverage shells and fronts than Pelini did. Subsequently, this Rover role (+and everyone else) has need to be much more versatile than the Peso role did.

• TBH 1