Minnesota Week Pressers

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

4 true freshmen on the two deep with one of them being an "OR".  

Isn't this a lot fewer than what he did at Temple and Baylor?

I don't know what he did at Temple, and Baylor was a complete mess when he inherited it, so I don't think it's reasonable to use what he did at Baylor as a comparison.

I think Rhule's plan with younger guys is to get them on the field if they are capable, while also having 1-2 developmental plans for other guys.  But, if that player isn't contributing by year 3, that player will be encouraged to move along.  It's a lot easier to do that with today's transfer rules.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't know what he did at Temple, and Baylor was a complete mess when he inherited it, so I don't think it's reasonable to use what he did at Baylor as a comparison.

I think Rhule's plan with younger guys is to get them on the field if they are capable, while also having 1-2 developmental plans for other guys.  But, if that player isn't contributing by year 3, that player will be encouraged to move along.  It's a lot easier to do that with today's transfer rules.

Yep, the transfer rules now has totally changed my attitude about asking players to move along if the coaches think it's needed.  Open up more spots to bring talent in.

I guess I thought I had heard that at both places, he went really young the first year and that was partly why his first year records were so bad at both places.  Then, those young guys had a year under their belt and made a big jump the next year.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

4 true freshmen on the two deep with one of them being an "OR".  

Isn't this a lot fewer than what he did at Temple and Baylor?

He played a lot of young guys there because the teams were so bad before he got there.  Didn't have the luxury of the transfer portal.  Don't think he has to play as many guys because although the record sucked last year I don't think we lacked in the athletic ability across the board. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1