Minnesota Week Pressers

13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Realistic and pessimistic have different definitions.  Look around at most outside season predictions and they're right in line with what I expect,  4-5 wins,  6-7 if it all goes perfectly. I don't feel dreadful at all and will definitely enjoy the season,  I'm just not IV injecting kool-aid like some of you when it comes to thinking this team can win 8+ games in year 1.

Feel free to come quote me later, but this offense isn't going to score a lot of points.

I'm right there with you. I've been saying all along 6 wins (7th in the bowl) and though our reasons differ I try to be optimistic. I think we are the 3rd best west division team. However, I see the timing of the Illinois game as a rather challenging hurdle. I believe the Huskers are more talented and more experienced but Illinois is catching the skers at the worst possible time so I see that as a loss even though I believe the huskers are more talented. Most are ready to pencil Maryland in as a loss but it's a home game and memorial will be rocking so unlike Illinois the outlook to me isn't as challenging. Still, the optimism in me sees a bowl victory finally happening. :)

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I'm right there with you. I've been saying all along 6 wins (7th in the bowl) and though our reasons differ I try to be optimistic. I think we are the 3rd best west division team. However, I see the timing of the Illinois game as a rather challenging hurdle. I believe the Huskers are more talented and more experienced but Illinois is catching the skers at the worst possible time so I see that as a loss even though I believe the huskers are more talented. Most are ready to pencil Maryland in as a loss but it's a home game and memorial will be rocking so unlike Illinois the outlook to me isn't as challenging. Still, the optimism in me sees a bowl victory finally happening. :)

Nothing wrong with optimism, and nothing wrong with me trying to just be realistic for now either.  :cheers

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Who is at RB won't matter much if the line is still below average, which I see coming looking at that depth chart.  WR aren't going to scare anyone and Sims will be inconsistent.  We will struggle to score points, but the defense I think will be better until they get worn out late in games which will be lame.

Whiner.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

I have a confession to make... 

You see, I'm aging and well.. my ticker can't take much more of my adolescent anger outbursts. (Yeah, I yell at the TV often) So, for the betterment of my health (and my heart) I've been avoiding watching games for the last 3 years live. Instead, record and watch only after knowing the outcome. Yes it's a pathetic way to claim being a fan but honestly for health reasons and my own sanity I had too. 

That said, I will watch the Minny game in it's entirety, good or bad, win or lose, LIVE.. 

End of Confession

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, Undone said:

As much as I want to see Gabe Ervin break out and go for 1,200 yards this year, I think our RB room is seeming "barely average" and teetering on "mediocre." I think this is really underrated as a problem on offense. Saying it again - I want to be wrong so bad.

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Who is at RB won't matter much if the line is still below average, which I see coming looking at that depth chart.  WR aren't going to scare anyone and Sims will be inconsistent.  We will struggle to score points, but the defense I think will be better until they get worn out late in games which will be lame.

If Ervin can stay healthy, we'll be alright at RB. Rahmir is fine as a backup/3rd down back, and it's not the end of the world if he ends up starting some games. Grant will see some snaps, but barring a major turnaround I don't think he'll be a major contributor.

IMO you should be more concerned about WR than RB.

Based on the practice reports I've heard, I'm actually less worried about the O-line than I was. Don't get me wrong, it's still a major concern, but I think they can be serviceable. Nouili is back, and might be our best guy on the line. Scott is an upgrade over Hixson at center. And this will be the first time Corcoran has started the season healthy since his freshman year. There's definitely gonna be some defenders in the backfield at times, but I don't think it's gonna be as awful as we've seen in recent years.

But boy, if any of the starters on the line go down, things could get ugly in a hurry...

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

You see, I'm aging and well.. my ticker can't take much more of my adolescent anger outbursts. (Yeah, I yell at the TV often) So, for the betterment of my health (and my heart) I've been avoiding watching games for the last 3 years live. Instead, record and watch only after knowing the outcome. Yes it's a pathetic way to claim being a fan but honestly for health reasons and my own sanity I had too. 

That said, I will watch the Minny game in it's entirety, good or bad, win or lose, LIVE.. 

End of Confession

Sounds like you’re looking forward to the game!

There’s been so many rough moments for so long! Normally I compose myself though that opener against Illinois a couple years back got the best of me. It was as both infuriating and disheartening.

Lots of us have struggled along with you…Is it a ridiculous idea to make every game an opportunity to practice exercising poise? A lot of hearts would probably be appreciative of it!

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

End of Confession

Not gonna lie, that’s weird. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

End of Confession

Nothing pathetic about taking care of yourself.

But I'd also implore you to realize you can change the way you feel about the outcome of a game you have nothing to do with as easily as you can change your habits of how you watch it.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

There’s been so many rough moments for so long! Normally I compose myself though that opener against Illinois a couple years back got the best of me. It was as both infuriating and disheartening.

Opening games have not been kind to us in recent years.

Fun fact: including this year, we've had a P5 opponent in the first game played for five out of six seasons. Prior to that, we'd had fourteen straight non-P5 openers.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Toe said:

Opening games have not been kind to us in recent years.

Fun fact: including this year, we've had a P5 opponent in the first game played for five out of six seasons. Prior to that, we'd had fourteen straight non-P5 openers.

We've been taking a beating for what seems like an eternity. Lol Like Jon Johnson's said, it's like an abusive relationship. 

5 hours ago, Undone said:

Here's how I'd summarize all of the discussion about line play and running back play:

A few games into the season, we should be looking at our most effective running back (not our QB, even if he's the leading rusher, which would again be really bad) in any given game having a yards per carry number of somewhere around 4.5, minimum. Now I'm saying "somewhere around 4.5" as the minimum.

If you don't have that, there's probably something wrong with your base running game.

And we saw plenty of that in the last two seasons at NU. It's got to change.

As much as I wanted Whipple to succeed, his scheme hurt our cause quite a bit rushing the ball in my opinion. Our base running game wasn't particularly good. Grant was leaned on heavily and it eventually took it's toll in the later stages of the season. Add in the ball security issues. For whatever reason(s), Johnson was limited.

Irvin has pretty impressive athletic ability. He's just lacked experience mostly due to injury. He's potentially the most dynamic if he can put it all together. It sounds like Emit Johnson is doing some nice things. How much has the pass blocking improved? That's a significant factor too. That lack of a deep threat hurts and will require some creativity to compensate for it.  

With improved line play, development of the backs, adjustments to scheme and other complementary factors including strength and conditioning aspects, a fairly significant increase in production is a realistic expectation. We ranked 11th in rushing in the conference correct? Let's say we can move that up to around 7th. The line's performance remains a big question. I'm confident that Barthel will get the best out of these guys. And, hopefully Satterfield, without being overly sophisticated, puts forth an offense that is more suited to the conference than anyone since Pelini.

As is true with receivers, good backs know how to make their speed variable. In each play and throughout the game. Patience has to be developed along with understanding the plays, observing them quickly and effectively reacting. Perhaps incorporating different looks with multiple back combinations helps us. Heck, if IGC can secure the ball and learn to negotiate a path, hand off the ball to him if the right situation presents itself. It seems Rhule wants to implement speed and quickness with an abundance of physicality and be active around the line of scrimmage. 

6 hours ago, Loebarth said:

End of Confession

Alcohol my friend. Alcohol.

There’s a sweet spot where, when your team screws up yet again, you simply laugh and say “yep, that figures”.

Yes, I am being serious.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Alcohol my friend. Alcohol.

There’s a sweet spot where, when your team screws up yet again, you simply laugh and say “yep, that figures”.

Yes, I am being serious.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep….and go get another beer and plate of wings. 

Or, you just temper your expectations when the team is down and you don't get upset. Then people call you a whiner here :lol:

It's like guys in golf who shoot 108 everytime out, but still throw a fit and get mad when they duff a 5 iron.  What did you seriously expect to happen there Tiger?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1