Minnesota Week Pressers

11 minutes ago, Decked said:

I think this is just as much about playing for the past universities not releasing documented information as it is the NCAA. While I agree he should play this is his 3rd school. It should not be a guarantee. But the lack of efficiency by several parties here is appalling. 

At this point, any delay in the NCAA or his previous schools to do what is needed to release him to play is intentional.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

I’m not sure how explosive we will be on offense but I think we will be very efficient and move the chains. Not having so many dumb 3 and outs will help ease depth concerns.

This might be my main worry at the moment.  I think we'll be solid.  But I'm not sure we really have any game-breakers right now.  It's tough to always have to go 8-10-12 plays to score.  And if the defense ins't threatened deep, the safeties get to running back quicker.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Decked said:

I think this is just as much about playing for the past universities not releasing documented information as it is the NCAA. While I agree he should play this is his 3rd school. It should not be a guarantee. But the lack of efficiency by several parties here is appalling. 

If it is mental health, it should get approved in less than 1 second.

The fact that it is just sitting on a desk somewhere is insane.  Everyone involved on the NCAA should be fired.  If LSU/UGA is/are holding things back, those people should be fired.

You have a kid who said his mental health is the issue and you have adults f#&%ing around with him.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
59 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If it is mental health, it should get approved in less than 1 second.

While I totally agree if that's the real underlying culprit, but you gotta admit that if this was the precedence then everybody would push the transfer limits and say "I got mental health stuff going on, bro."

59 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's tough to always have to go 8-10-12 plays to score.  And if the defense ins't threatened deep, the safeties get to running back quicker.

I think against the competition we face it might actually be better if we did typically have to go 10-12 plays to get on the board. But your second part is the biggest problem. Last year felt like the first season in so long we weren't fighting that when we had Thompson lobbing it to Palmer so much.

As much as I want to see Gabe Ervin break out and go for 1,200 yards this year, I think our RB room is seeming "barely average" and teetering on "mediocre." I think this is really underrated as a problem on offense. Saying it again - I want to be wrong so bad.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Undone said:

As much as I want to see Gabe Ervin break out and go for 1,200 yards this year, I think our RB room is seeming "barely average" and teetering on "mediocre." I think this is really underrated as a problem on offense. Saying it again - I want to be wrong so bad.

I think we have had much worse RB rooms in the last 5-10 years.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, I’d say that there have been years here where Grant is no doubt still in line to get the bulk of the carries even with the fumble issues in camp. Instead, he’s dropping down the depth chart until he gets that under control and I think it’s very clear they trust all the other guys in that room to get the snaps.

I don’t know how dynamic or explosive the room is, that remains to be seen a bit. But it looks like a bowl team’s RB room depth wise in my opinion at the very least. I understand Undone’s take though too.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Undone said:

While I totally agree if that's the real underlying culprit, but you gotta admit that if this was the precedence then everybody would push the transfer limits and say "I got mental health stuff going on, bro."

I think against the competition we face it might actually be better if we did typically have to go 10-12 plays to get on the board. But your second part is the biggest problem. Last year felt like the first season in so long we weren't fighting that when we had Thompson lobbing it to Palmer so much.

Of course they would BUT that means the NCAA is now looking at the cases and their first thought is "this player is lying", which is the exact opposite way they should be looking at it IF they are in fact looking out for student athletes. 

Everyone, in theory, transfers for mental health.  You are leaving one school for another, why?

-  I am not a starter...therefore I am not happy.  If I transfer I can start (maybe) and be happy.  Being happy is better for me as a person.  

It is not the NCAA's job to question the persons reason anymore than it would be for me or you to leave one job for another...unless of course they want to operate under the assumption that everyone is lying.  

If LSU and UGA are holding things up, everyone associated with that needs to be terminated.  Immediately.  That would be like an admissions counselor at Harvard refusing to send transcripts to Yale for a student that has left because they did not like their reason for leaving.  

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can't disagree with that. Maybe when it was Newby and Ozigbo was in the dog house with Riley.

But I'm thinking a RB on this team has to really breakout for the offense to work well.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I can't disagree with that. Maybe when it was Newby and Ozigbo was in the dog house with Riley.

But I'm thinking a RB on this team has to really breakout for the offense to work well.

Who is at RB won't matter much if the line is still below average, which I see coming looking at that depth chart.  WR aren't going to scare anyone and Sims will be inconsistent.  We will struggle to score points, but the defense I think will be better until they get worn out late in games which will be lame.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

WR aren't going to scare anyone and Sims will be inconsistent.  We will struggle to score points, but the defense I think will be better until they get worn out late in games which will be lame.

I honestly think these are solid predictions.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Who is at RB won't matter much if the line is still below average...

There's "below average" and then there's "not much better than cardboard cutouts of themselves on the line." We saw some of both last season.

If a couple guys aren't much more effective than a cardboard cutout, then I agree with you. But a good running back absolutely can cover an inability to get push as long as their line actually gets a body on people.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Who is at RB won't matter much if the line is still below average, which I see coming looking at that depth chart.  WR aren't going to scare anyone and Sims will be inconsistent.  We will struggle to score points, but the defense I think will be better until they get worn out late in games which will be lame.

Wow. Are you ever a ray of sunshine. Sounds like we'll be lucky to go 0-12 with a few calamities thrown in for good measure to make things even worse.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Pessimistic  much? I mean wow!!! Curious, with an outlook as dreadful as yours can you even get excited if they win?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Wow. Are you ever a ray of sunshine. Sounds like we'll be lucky to go 0-12 with a few calamities thrown in for good measure to make things even worse.

5 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Pessimistic  much? I mean wow!!! Curious, with an outlook as dreadful as yours can you even get excited if they win?

Realistic and pessimistic have different definitions.  Look around at most outside season predictions and they're right in line with what I expect,  4-5 wins,  6-7 if it all goes perfectly. I don't feel dreadful at all and will definitely enjoy the season,  I'm just not IV injecting kool-aid like some of you when it comes to thinking this team can win 8+ games in year 1.

Feel free to come quote me later, but this offense isn't going to score a lot of points.

• Plus1 1

Here's how I'd summarize all of the discussion about line play and running back play:

A few games into the season, we should be looking at our most effective running back (not our QB, even if he's the leading rusher, which would again be really bad) in any given game having a yards per carry number of somewhere around 4.5, minimum. Now I'm saying "somewhere around 4.5" as the minimum.

If you don't have that, there's probably something wrong with your base running game.

And we saw plenty of that in the last two seasons at NU. It's got to change.

• Plus1 4