Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

No.  He did the same thing last week.  He threw a ball right to a LB from NIL and the kid dropped it.  Two of his completions to Fidone probably get picked as well.  And a lot of his throws have been nowhere near anyone.  He missed Kemp being wide open and decided to try to get his backup Rb killed by dumping it off to him.  That probably could have been intercepted as well.  They both have made mistakes but one has benefited from not playing against the same skill level.  People are acting like HH is playing lights out and he's not.  I think both of them have some work to do 

I think im going with the guy that DIDNT turnover the ball 7 times in two game...

• TBH 1

16 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

You are missing what I'm saying.  Is Sims somehow a better Qb if the DBs dropped those INTs??  No. But posters here are ignoring the fact that HH has made the same s#!tty throws but his were dropped.  Thrown right to them but dropped. If anything we should be saying Sims throws a more catchable ball no matter who it's to.  

No, we just dont agree..

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

No.  He did the same thing last week.  He threw a ball right to a LB from NIL and the kid dropped it.  Two of his completions to Fidone probably get picked as well.  And a lot of his throws have been nowhere near anyone.  He missed Kemp being wide open and decided to try to get his backup Rb killed by dumping it off to him.  That probably could have been intercepted as well.  They both have made mistakes but one has benefited from not playing against the same skill level.  People are acting like HH is playing lights out and he's not.  I think both of them have some work to do 

Sims has started 25 total games in college. HH has started 2 and already has shown he has the "It" factor and can manage the offense and make some big plays while not turning the ball over. If HH had been the starter all season Nebraska would be 3-1 right now and tied for first in the BIG West. 

• Plus1 3

Off the top of my head, NU ran the ball 3 or 4 times yesterday on 3rd & 3.  I think that's who this team is with HH or Sims at QB.  Need to get Fidone down field a few times per game, need to find a receiver they can get down field a few times per game, & they have to be cleaner to avoid getting behind the sticks.  It's going to be ugly, but not as ugly as asking these guys to do things they can't do consistently well.  

• TBH 1
43 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Need to get Fidone down field a few times per game, need to find a receiver they can get down field a few times per game, & they have to be cleaner to avoid getting behind the sticks.

Totally agree, especially on Fidone. Look at this stat sheet:

image.png.f94a1f70ce0f282b5aea893aa3914896.png

Fidone with one catch...glad it was a 29 yard touchdown, ha.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

image.png.0447b5c323fd746027a1f9e2239c1d55.png

Can’t target receivers downfield if the o-line can’t protect that long.  The first play from scrimmage for NU against La Tech could have been a called deep shot, but Haarberg was sacked. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The first play from scrimmage for NU against La Tech could have been a called deep shot, but Haarberg was sacked. 

I honestly really hated that play call. It's being completely unaware of what your team is actually good at executing. Blast a Conference USA school with zone read with Haarberg as a battering ram for 4 or 5 plays and see if you can move the chains and get comfortable.

I get it, it's the "well you want creativity from your OC, don't you" angle. But we just can't pass block.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Can’t target receivers downfield if the o-line can’t protect that long.  The first play from scrimmage for NU against La Tech could have been a called deep shot, but Haarberg was sacked. 

Not like he would have seen the receiver anyway nor would he have been able to put the ball in the  right zip code. 

16 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Not like he would have seen the receiver anyway nor would he have been able to put the ball in the  right zip code. 

I'm just matching your tone here; I'm not taking a personal shot at you but just matching your level: I don't really think you know what you're talking about. Your criticism of his passing game is inaccurate & also overly harsh.

You said in another post that he's "not a Division I QB;" I'd say he's a completely serviceable backup as a sophomore and has the potential to be a good starter by the start of next year or in 2025. Guy's a sophomore.

His completion percentage against LA Tech suffered from a throwaway or two and Washington's drop where the ball hits him right in the numbers on a critical 3rd down that would have been converted if he catches it. Yeah, he had the other one that went into traffic and probably should have been picked off, but tons of great QB's have that happen almost every game, also.

The TD pass to Fidone was off the mark but that's why it's nice to have guys with that kind of athleticism; Thomas comes back for it and does the rest himself.

But just one more zoomed-out take: When your recruiting requirements of a QB is that he has to run and your program is a perennial dumpster fire, you're not pulling in Tua Tagovailoa's. If you want somebody that throws really, really well, then you have to change your requirements. This staff and the last one required that the QB be a runner.

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm just matching your tone here; I'm not taking a personal shot at you but just matching your level: I don't really think you know what you're talking about. Your criticism of his passing game is inaccurate & also overly harsh.

You said in another post that he's "not a Division I QB;" I'd say he's a completely serviceable backup as a sophomore and has the potential to be a good starter by the start of next year or in 2025. Guy's a sophomore.

His completion percentage against LA Tech suffered from a throwaway or two and Washington's drop where the ball hits him right in the numbers on a critical 3rd down that would have been converted if he catches it. Yeah, he had the other one that went into traffic and probably should have been picked off, but tons of great QB's have that happen almost every game, also.

The TD pass to Fidone was off the mark but that's why it's nice to have guys with that kind of athleticism; Thomas comes back for it and does the rest himself.

But just one more zoomed-out take: When your recruiting requirements of a QB is that he has to run and your program is a perennial dumpster fire, you're not pulling in Tua Tagovailoa's. If you want somebody that throws really, really well, then you have to change your requirements. This staff and the last one required that the QB be a runner.

You forgot the one where he was rolling out and he threw it to the turf about 10 yards in front of Kemp. 

17 hours ago, Undone said:

image.png.f94a1f70ce0f282b5aea893aa3914896.png

Fidone is criminally under utilized right now. The things this team could be running with him and Kemp... man. You could get some crazy mismatches if you have those guys near each other.

17 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That was mostly not the O line's fault. I think they brought 6 guys on a delayed blitz. Grant screwed up and took the outside blitzer instead of the inside (tough read because of the delay). Fidone or Benhart should have slid off their block and taken the outside blitzer, or if they didn't pick it up it's HH's job to get the ball out quick.

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Fidone is criminally under utilized right now.

I hope this staff really gives a s*** about winning now and doesn't just die on the hill of "this takes as long as it takes" and "it's taken us three years to get good at the two other schools."

We could almost put Fidone out as a slot receiver or even out wide, the guy is really that athletic that I think he'd almost be better than any of our WR's.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

I hope this staff really gives a s*** about winning now and doesn't just die on the hill of "this takes as long as it takes" and "it's taken us three years to get good at the two other schools."

We could almost put Fidone out as a slot receiver or even out wide, the guy is really that athletic that I think he'd almost be better than any of our WR's.

Exactly my thinking. He's literally a prototypical modern NFL TE body type. Obviously needs experience and more mass, but he's exactly what you want. Athletic, tall, fast, great hands but can block too.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

What have you seen from the staff makes you think they aren’t trying to win games this year. If anything, I give them credit for realizing the offense isn’t very talented, so they will most likely try to lean on defense and special teams to win games. 

• Plus1 2