Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

I also don't think the other WR was open until after HH started to throw it.  Maybe the two options were too close for too long.  You can tell that Fidone has the underneath guy beat.  You kind of assume that the deep defender is going to have to go with the deep route.  So it looked like Fidene should have been wide open.  But then deep defender anticipates/guesses correctly.  But the ball is already on the way by then.

Of course, a good throw probably still gets a completion instead of an interception.  Which is where you comment plays into it.

I was thinking maybe he got spooked by the LB who was sinking and instead of lofting it over his head for a huge gain he tried to keep the throw inside. No matter what it was a horrible all around throw, and oddly enough it was a chest open throw like TMart made famous. :lol:

18 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

With as much as he's been playing the last couple games, the success he has had in those games, being from the Wichita area, and not to mention that KSU's program has been considerably better than NU's the last several years,  I don't see that happening. 

I was in Manhattan two weekends ago and everyone I spoke to was worried about it.   Not necessarily NU, but some program. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I also don't think the other WR was open until after HH started to throw it.

Agreed. I was going to make this comment yesterday but the thread is honestly such a cluster**** that I didn't think it was worth it.

I'm also still mildly amused at comments that Haarberg isn't taking criticism because he's from Nebraska. A rough estimate would probably show 50% of the posts in this very thread being pretty critical of his throwing ability.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

26 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed. I was going to make this comment yesterday but the thread is honestly such a cluster**** that I didn't think it was worth it.

I disagree.  Assuming we are talking about the first play.   The DB was still sitting trying to be able to jump an out while also hanging for the in cut.   The WR was already even with the DB on the out and up on the out portion of the route.   

there is no way the WR doesn’t pull away from the DB if ball is thrown deep. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It's Boerkircher, and maybe he does if Ricky throws the pass of his life and hucks it as hard as he can.

Let the official record show this post being critical of Haarberg's throwing.    ;)

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I disagree.  Assuming we are talking about the first play.   The DB was still sitting trying to be able to jump an out while also hanging for the in cut.   The WR was already even with the DB on the out and up on the out portion of the route.   

The underneath target is a better target and (probably) the primary read.

If you're saying that the DB was to be expected to run with the deep route, that's all the more reason to throw the shorter route, as it was going to be wide open if the deep DB did that.  Fidone is even with the underneath defender as well, so the same argument about being able to run away from a defender he's even with would apply there as well (which he did).

The DB just made a great play and the pass was off-target.

• TBH 1
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If you're saying that the DB was to be expected to run with the deep route, that's all the more reason to throw the shorter route, as it was going to be wide open if the deep DB did that.  Fidone is even with the underneath defender as well, so the same argument about being able to run away from a defender he's even with would apply there as well (which he did).

Maybe he was talking about a different play but I thought in his presser Rhule said that he missed that read but came back in the 2nd half and they ran it again and he hit correctly. 

5 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Maybe he was talking about a different play but I thought in his presser Rhule said that he missed that read but came back in the 2nd half and they ran it again and he hit correctly. 

Different play, he was talking about hitting the option pass. Which was a nice throw but I think an easier read, although sounds like Coleman isn't technically the first look on that play.

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This was the first play of the game so there was an obvious pre game scout as to why they chose this tree route.  I can’t know for sure but my best guess is the play was designed for HH to read the safety and throw accordingly.   

That said, the safety kinda sat in no man’s land allowing both TE and WR to be open.   The systems I played in and how I was taught was to check deep and work progressions back. Since HH is seeing the safety sit, WR would be the throw, however, a good pass to Fidone was fine too.  HH did neither.  

Im going be Memory, but didn’t Rhule even say the first play should have been a touchdown?  

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This was the first play of the game so there was an obvious pre game scout as to why they chose this tree route.  I can’t know for sure but my best guess is the play was designed for HH to read the safety and throw accordingly.   

That said, the safety kinda sat in no man’s land allowing both TE and WR to be open.   The systems I played in and how I was taught was to check deep and work progressions back. Since HH is seeing the safety sit, WR would be the throw, however, a good pass to Fidone was fine too.  HH did neither.  

Im going be Memory, but didn’t Rhule even say the first play should have been a touchdown?  

I don't think he was seeing the safety sit.  From the high-angle replay on a slowed-down view, it's easier to see.  But I don't know how there's any way he'd be expecting the safety to turn the deep guy loose.  The safety was right with Bullock.  If that's Trey Palmer, yeah, I say turn that one loose and count on Palmer out-running him.  When your choice is between the walk-on WR who looks like the safety is going with them and the high-four-star TE who has the linebacker beat, I'm going to the TE 10/10.

• TBH 1