Does NU have a chance in the B1G West?

Red Five

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

But they have to play Ohio State still, so I think the true thing making it look difficult for Nebraska is that we would need to win out if Minnesota only loses to OSU.

But…..really every teams needs to think they have to win out. Minnesota has to play OSU that should knock them out. We play both Wisconsin and Iowa. If we win one of those, the other has to win out.  If we lose this weekend, then Iowa and Wisconsin have an easier road. If we win, our chances should go way up. 

• Plus1 1
On 10/30/2023 at 6:51 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

say we win out and make it to the conference championship game and by some miracle they beat whoever represents the East.  Does a 3 loss Nebraska team get into the playoff?  

Haven’t been on much this week, so I just saw this… you’re messing with us, right? Better chance I dress up as Travis Kelce tonight and hook up with T-Swift than Nebraska making the playoff. 

• TBH 3
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

But they have to play Ohio State still, so I think the true thing making it look difficult for Nebraska is that we would need to win out if Minnesota only loses to OSU.

I don't know the full scenarios, but if Neb, Iowa, Minny, and Wiscy all ended 6-3 I would think we would be on the outside looking in due to head to head.  We would be at best 1-2 in that situation and Minny at worst would be 2-1.

Our only chance of being equal with Minny would be if we were in a threeway tie with them and Wiscy, and assume we beat Wiscy and Wiscy beats Minny.  Everyone would be 1-1 vs each other.  Then it might come down to division record?

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't know the full scenarios, but if Neb, Iowa, Minny, and Wiscy all ended 6-3 I would think we would be on the outside looking in due to head to head.  We would be at best 1-2 in that situation and Minny at worst would be 2-1.

Our only chance of being equal with Minny would be if we were in a threeway tie with them and Wiscy, and assume we beat Wiscy and Wiscy beats Minny.  Everyone would be 1-1 vs each other.  Then it might come down to division record?

IF we win out and Minny drops one more (still have Ohio St) then we will win outright. If we don't, then it gets messy. 

• Plus1 4
On 10/30/2023 at 7:51 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

say we win out and make it to the conference championship game and by some miracle they beat whoever represents the East.  Does a 3 loss Nebraska team get into the playoff?  

Not in the current CFP format, but with the future 12-team playoff format, maybe?

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Conference champs are auto-bids in the 12 team playoff so yes.

I haven't found where it specifies which conferences. Is it any conference, just that it has to be the top rated? Then you could still (hypothetically) miss out, but that's pretty unlikely if you're a Big Ten team, especially with the Big Ten West division going away.

• The six highest-ranked conference champions, as determined by the CFP committee, will receive automatic bids.
  • The next six highest-ranked teams will get at-large spots.
  • The four highest-ranked conference champions will receive byes into the quarterfinals.
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I haven't found where it specifies which conferences. Is it any conference, just that it has to be the top rated? Then you could still (hypothetically) miss out, but that's pretty unlikely if you're a Big Ten team, especially with the Big Ten West division going away.

• The six highest-ranked conference champions, as determined by the CFP committee, will receive automatic bids.
  • The next six highest-ranked teams will get at-large spots.
  • The four highest-ranked conference champions will receive byes into the quarterfinals.

I don't think it has to be any specific conferences.  Obviously it was assumed that it would be the Power 5 plus the next highest-rated conference champion.  

They have put off a decision on any changes but it seems likely that it would go to five conference champions and seven at larges.