Illinois - What Did We Learn

- Illinois might be in the coaching search business sooner than later. Bert doesn’t look happy and his team looks bad in all phases.

- the Bye week comes at the absolutely perfect time. We need to heal up a whole host of players

- Haarberg survives another week as the starter. I cannot tell if he’s improving or simply improvising. Each step forward seems to be followed by a step or two backwards. Ultimately we are winning which is most important, but man are we getting lucky. 

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

- Haarberg survives another week as the starter. I cannot tell if he’s improving or simply improvising. Each step forward seems to be followed by a step or two backwards. Ultimately we are winning which is most important, but man are we getting lucky. 

The guy seems to be progressing in his reads, at minimum starting to recognize more than the 1st option on throws...just needs to dial it in.. Frankly, I think Joe Ganz over the long stretch..which would be nice!!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I want to see what Sims can do against NW

Totally agree, dude.

Ricky Haarberg gets props for that lob to Washington out of our own end zone on the first drive. Huge play there. Then he found Bullock on a key pass play also. But by and large he was very bad throwing the ball tonight. He missed Coleman & Fidone on two key plays where both of those guys get themselves open and it should have been completions.

Missing the field goal was awful. And not having Ervin & Rahmir hurt us in this one. Can't forget about that when we look at some of the 4th quarter stuff.

The coaching decisions to throw late in the 2nd quarter...like seriously what in the actual f***. I was beside myself with frustration.

Honestly, Altmeyer is an absolutely terrible QB. Blackshirts get so much credit in this one, especially the goal line stand on their first drive...but a better QB for them definitely could have wound up giving us the 'L' in this game because of our offensive ineptitude. He skipped multiple passes off the turf.

Our false starts; can't even get my head around how pathetic it is.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Haarberg has only had 3 starts vs sims 30 starts, and he's equally good as him at the very least. you have to keep getting Haarberg reps and assume he's going to be the starter next year. Sims couldn't even beat minnesota or put up any points against a horrible colorado defense.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
21 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

The guy seems to be progressing in his reads, at minimum starting to recognize more than the 1st option on throws...just needs to dial it in.. Frankly, I think Joe Ganz over the long stretch..which would be nice!!

We watched the same game? Haarberg had poor judgment for nearly the entire second half. He was very lucky to not have more turnovers. Joe Ganz had better situational awareness and didn’t try to overextend himself very often. HH lacks the former and constantly does the latter, should just slide or fall down instead of turtling when he has nowhere to go at the line of scrimmage.

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

Haarberg has only had 3 starts vs sims 30 starts, and he's equally good as him at the very least. you have to keep getting Haarberg reps and assume he's going to be the starter next year. Sims couldn't even beat minnesota or put up any points against a horrible colorado defense.

… Sims had the long TD run against Colorado. Hard to call HH equally “good” after the past two weeks. Coin toss at best

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1